Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD10 Playback of PD12 HD Video is Blocky - SOLVED
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Good afternoon, folks. Not sure where to post this. I just completed an HD wedding video (148 minutes), burned as an BD movie with menu (1920x1080, 60i). It was shot with a Sony camcorder and the file format was .mts on the actual camcorder hard drive that was converted to .m2ts by Sony PlayMemories Home when it was imported to my computer.

My normal practice is to preview burned DVDs and BDs using PowerDVD10. When I view my BD with PowerDVD10, via Windows 7 AutoPlay (Windows detects a BD has been loaded), the playback is very blocky and jerky. The audio is unaffected, just the video.

If however, I launch PowerDVD10 manually, navigate to the .m2ts file on the BD, and selected the .m2ts file to play, PowerDVD10 plays it just fine. Windows Media Player will play the BD just fine by navigating to the .m2ts file on the BD. The BD also plays fine on my Sony BD player. I have the latest PowerDVD10 patches.

Since this involves a contract, I am concerned that there MIGHT be some issue with the produced BD ... ? It was burned with hardware acceleration off, video denoise off, in fact, just about everything deselected in Preferences about hardware encoding and using my graphics cards as I have read about blocky effects being produced by hardware acceleration.

Have any of you run into this situation before? I have never encountered it. I was about to throw the BD away when I decided to test it in my BD player and it worked just fine.

When it happened yesterday, after a five-hour plus burn process, I did throw the BD (Sony BD) away and decided to pre-produce the project, since there was considerable lighting enhancement applied (the speakers were in a horrible dark corner of the room and lighting was very low), so I had to jack up the lighting. Today I created a new project, dragged in the pre-produced file, and burn went very smoothly, about 30 minutes in total, most of which was the actual burning of the BD at 4x (the Sony BDs I am using are rated for a max of 6x burn speed)

That led me to the experiments above. Did a quick look around the PowerDVD11 and Earlier Forum, but didn't see anything there. Any advice or explanation would be appreciated. I do want to make sure the BDs I send the client are stable. There were no error codes from PD12. I burned the pre-rendered file directly to BD from within the Create Disk menu, and used a custom menu.

I have attached my dxdiag file in the unlikely event that it might shed some light on this strange problem.

Thanks for your anticipated expert advice. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
 Filename
MGDxDiagx64.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
45 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
342 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 18. 2013 08:54

Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Good morning. I opened a support ticket with Cyberlink and they referred me to an FAQ. It turned out that it was not just the wedding video that I produced using PD12 that would not play correctly in PDVD13, but also commercial BDs. Everything was juddery and jerky

One of the Tech Support suggestions was to update my video driver, which was only a couple of months old (October). I was suspicious of the video driver because of performance issues, so I updated today to the Nvidia 331.82 driver and set up for a clean install with all my virus and firewall (BitDefender) turned off.

Great news. BDs now play just fine after the video driver update. Opened one of my projects in PD12 (the latest non-beta build) and although I didn't do any editing, it seemed to be working just fine, and much faster than previously.

So if you run into this problem, a clean install of a newer video driver may resolve your problem. It did for me.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor