Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Error occured opening this media file. MTS
philm5d [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 01, 2013 17:13 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
I'm trying to re-open a 2 hour project from a few weeks ago. I get the above error message. I have not moved any files. If I select "Ignore All" the project loads with all the editing except the panels on the timeline are black. Why should this happen?
philm5d [Avatar]
[Post New]
What no-one??? I should add if I browsed for the files but seem to be only to select individual clips not the whole folder full.
philm5d [Avatar]
[Post New]
RIGHT now I can't reload a project from a couple of days ago. This software is coming off the computer forthwith and I shall never by a CyberLink product AGAIN!!!!!
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Hi philm5d,

It sounds like you may be having an issue with your hard drive. Are you doing any extra maintenance of your hard drive? Are you moving the project location. I don't know if the links to the resources are relative or absolute.

I know that you said that you didn't move any resources so it shouldn't be that. Did Windows rename any of the files (perhaps add a number)?

Of course you are free to use any software you like but don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. This is a good program (better than the 5 others I have worked with.) Also, this is a users group where we help people try to identify solutions. What you buy or don't buy doesn't really affect our wallets.
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
philm5d [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for coming back and sorry If I appeared short-tempered, it's not like me. I haven't moved the projects - sorry I don't know what relative or absolute pertains to- None of the file names seem to have been changed. I have heard that.pds files can become corrupt so perhaps that happened to me?
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thank you for coming back and sorry If I appeared short-tempered, it's not like me. I haven't moved the projects - sorry I don't know what relative or absolute pertains to- None of the file names seem to have been changed. I have heard that.pds files can become corrupt so perhaps that happened to me?

I guess anything is possible. How about answers to the other question about maintenance?

Are you using a registry cleaner or a strong file cleaner to delete temporary and junk files?

I think a lot of people make copies of their resources and copy them to a new folder for that project. That way everything is in one place.

If you didn't move or rename anything, don't worry about relative vs absolute links. That issue would not come into play.

Do you have a standard hard drive or a solid state drive (SSD). If it is a standard hard drive, did you do any cleaning or maintenance of the hard drive recently? Have you checked the hard drive for errors? The simplest way of doing that is to pick a time when you don't need the computer for an hour or so. Use my computer to navigate to your system drive (Usually "C") and right click to select properties, select the tools tab and then select check this drive for errors. See this image.

The progressive deterioration of the project worries me; that is why you should check your hard drive. I had one that gave results similar to yours. There was an issue with unmarked bad sections so that anything written to those unmarked bad sections would be forgotten. It is very rare but it did happen.

Let us know. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Don't forget about recovering a project via the generated backups. The location of the backup PDS files will be found in your PREFERENCES tab. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
philm5d [Avatar]
[Post New]
The only thing I recall that was unusual was that after one of the sessions (not the first) when saving the project the program asked me to give it a new file name, instead of using and updating the previous .pds file already nominated for the project. I gave the project a new name rather than overwrite the old one so now I have two .pds files which should relate to the same project but neither will re-load into the program.