CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
0 byte output file when overwriting existing file
Reply to this topic
optodata
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 5443 Offline
[Post New]
Does anyone else have this problem? Once I've produced a video, if I watch it and want to make changes and decide to overwrite the same output file, PD12 goes through the entire production effort and finishes normally. However, the produced file is 0 bytes long and (obviously) contains no video.

In my case, I'm using the AVC 1920 x 1080/60p (28 Mbps) profile from the H.264/AVC format menu. When I use the Output Folder window and choose an existing file, PD accepts this file name without problem. When I click on Start, a message comes up stating "This file already exists. Do you want to replace the existing file?" I click Yes and everything appears to run normally.

In my case, 24 minutes later I find that the produced video doesn't exist. I have no idea where that GB went, I only know it's not connected to the expected file name. This is occurring with PD12 on my 64GB SSD C: drive and the source media and output folders on a 250GB SSD.

I have no problems creating a new file each time OR when deleting the file first via Windows Explorer - the problem ONLY occurs when I try to overwrite an existing file from within the Produce window and it seems like Cyberlink would want to address the issue at some point.

Oh, one more thing I just noticed: I can delte the 0-byte file from WE, but if I hit refresh it comes right back. I have to reboot then delete it before it will stay dead!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 14. 2013 01:17

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win10 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 2070 | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Does anyone else have this problem? Once I've produced a video, if I watch it and want to make changes and decide to overwrite the same output file, PD12 goes through the entire production effort and finishes normally. However, the produced file is 0 bytes long and (obviously) contains no video.

In my case, I'm using the AVC 1920 x 1080/60p (28 Mbps) profile from the H.264/AVC format menu. When I use the Output Folder window and choose an existing file, PD accepts this file name without problem. When I click on Start, a message comes up stating "This file already exists. Do you want to replace the existing file?" I click Yes and everything appears to run normally.

In my case, 24 minutes later I find that the produced video doesn't exist. I have no idea where that GB went, I only know it's not connected to the expected file name. This is occurring with PD12 on my 64GB SSD C: drive and the source media and output folders on a 250GB SSD.

I have no problems creating a new file each time OR when deleting the file first via Windows Explorer - the problem ONLY occurs when I try to overwrite an existing file from within the Produce window and it seems like Cyberlink would want to address the issue at some point.

Oh, one more thing I just noticed: I can delte the 0-byte file from WE, but if I hit refresh it comes right back. I have to reboot then delete it before it will stay dead!

Hi optodata,
Thank you for your post - looks interesting.

Please try the following:
1. Open PDR12
2. Drag down the Nature.wmv file to track 1.
3. Select Produce
4. Select H264/AVC 1920 x1080 / 60p 28Mbps template
5. Output folder, select where you want it saved.
6. Select Start.

a) I saved the project to a HDD successfully. I overwrote the file while in Produce successfully. I did NOT return to Edit prior to a second Production/render. I ensured the file name was the same (because of your results) - PDR12 will automatically rename a file name. I was asked by a pop up if I wanted to overwrite the file, I selected YES.

b) I repeated the same actions for the SSD and then returned to Edit to view the file. I returned to Produce to re-render the project. On this occasion I could not overwrite the file as it was "actively open" in Edit/used by PDR12. The action was refused by PDR12.

I can not replicate the issue you have located. Please try what I did, with the Nature.wmv and see what results you attain.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 14. 2013 03:44

optodata
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 5443 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd

Using the Nature.wmv file and following your directions, I also was unable to duplicate the problem. I saved the output file to the same drive and folder where my problem occurred.

The project that I experienced the problem with is about 5 minutes long and has a substantial number or transitions, FX, color corrections PIP, slo-mo, etc. but it's not obvious why that would affect the overwriting an existing .m2ts file. I had seen the same 0-byte output issue with a similar project once before, so maybe I can experiment a bit and try to determine if it's the content or something else like output file size that causes the problem.

Remember that I said that Windows Explorer could delete the file but it kept popping back after I refreshed it, so maybe it has to do with the way PD12 closes the write-to-disk buffer or something similar. My project took over twenty minutes to produce and all that data was being written somewhere - so it seems that while the issue is definitely triggered by overwriting an existing file, the problem itself actually seems to occur when the produced file is finished and PD12 should close/release it but does not do so correctly.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win10 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 2070 | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Reply to this topic