Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How do I get my dvd to go back to the menu video when finished playing?
[Post New]
OK...here's my situation. I've made a 2.5 minute preview of a nature movie I'm going to be offering for sale at a local gallery. I'm setting up a 19" tv/dvd combo. I wanted a screen that's going to be running all the time, with instructions for the viewer to push the OK on the remote to start the video preview. Then, when it's finished I want it to loop back to the original dvd menu screen.

The little menu movie I made (50 seconds) shows a nice sunrise scene over a lake with morning birdsong in the background and the info about the DVD and how to watch the preview imposed over the scene. In the Menu Design mode in create dvd I tried setting it as the menu background, but then I lose the bird song, so instead I set it as a menu video. But when I do that, at the end of the preview, it doesn't come back to the menu. The screen just goes black and stays black. How do I get it to loop back to the menu video so it's reset for the next folks who should come by and want to play the preview?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Dustie Dustie
I'm still working on it....
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dustie -

I'm having trouble understanding what you've done so far & exactly what you want to happen. Could you post some screen shots to make it a little clearer?

I tried setting it as the menu background, but then I lose the bird song

There's a way around that:
1. First set your video as the menu background (with no birdsong).
2. Extract the birdsong as a WAV file (unless you already have it as a separate audio file)
3. Next - for the root menu page only, apply the birdsong as the music.

Here's a little toot I made after Jeff (JL_JL) reminded me how to apply different music to each menu page - http://youtu.be/VeIN84Xnyrk

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Tony,

The problem is, I used 3 different bird tracks so there's no way to extract the three as a single trac. For some reason, my Magix Music maker program is not letting me drag and drop my music onto the working track to combine the three bird tracs into one (another problem that popped up with a program reciently...wondering if I don't have a virus messing with my programs, making thing disappear).

All three tracs combined well with the 1 minute menu video when I producing it though, so I was hoping there was a way I could convince the two minute movie when it ended to go back to the beginning of the starting video rather then just fade to black screen.

I'm putting it all together now and will upload it to Youtube so you can see what I"m trying to do. Dustie
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
OK -

That's not too hard. With your birdsong video in the media library, just right click & select "Extract Audio". That will give you the WAV file you need to use for the Root Menu.

I look forward to seeing what you're trying to do.

Are you wanting to loop the opening (birdsong) video - if so, I don't know how.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 02. 2013 22:30

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Thanks Tony...Extract file worked! ; Now I don't have to set the video as a prevideo but I can set it as a background.

Now the only pain was tucking the "My Video", up arrows, down arrows and item 1, item 2, and item 3 away on the sides top and bottom so they didn't show on my menu.

I'll be reloading my pd11 when I get some time, but for now the tucking, although a time consuming step, works for me. I'd rather have the tab that allows me to select what text icons I want (if any). I don't need any of them since my text is added prior when I created the video menu in regular Power Director. Dustie
[Post New]
I recieved two PM's according to my email, but when I went to check there were no new PMs (last one show's Feb). If someone sent me an email to help, please send again. Thanks.

I'm still working on that darn 2 minute clip I want to use at the gallery. The sticking point is the text. Now I'm trying to find out if using the word foothills will work to describe the eroded hills and valleys of a dissected plateau.

If it's not one thing, it's another. This is never ending!

Did learn one thing though... play back in movie mode goes much smoother if you drag your video out along the timeline quite aways. I did that looking for a glichy clip in the movie to repair it and then when playing back in the preview I noticed it hardly skipped or jumped. So I shortened it up again, and it skipped and jumped through the whole playback. Tried it a few more times with the same effects. Drag it out along the timeline and you almost eliminate skips and jumps in when viewing in the preview window. At least it seems that way to me anyway.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 03. 2013 18:18

Dustie
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I recieved two PM's according to my email, but when I went to check there were no new PMs (last one show's Feb). If someone sent me an email to help, please send again. Thanks.

Yes - from me. I was suggesting a possible alternative to your TV/DVD solution and as it's nothing to do with PD I didn't post here. I'll try sending another and see if you get that

p.s. OK sent another, let's see if that gets through - just in case it doesn't it revolves around the fact that what you are doing in your OP is the sort of thing that I used to do at work for training courses, conferences, meetings etc. etc. - made me a bit nostalgic

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 04. 2013 03:34

[Post New]
Thanks Longedge. It would have been perfect had I been playing it on a windows base computer. Fortunately Tony's suggestions helped me get PD to do what I needed to to do, since It will be playing on a TV/DVD combo in a room of the gallery that is unmanned so it needed to be usable with the simplest of directions. TV's and remote is something most everyone understands. All they need to do now is push enter on the remote and they are good to go!

Thanks so much for offering me the use of your Application though. Very kind of you! ; Love this forum!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 04. 2013 04:37

Dustie
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
You're welcome. Kiosk type apps aren't for every occasion