Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Experiencing Very Poor Performance with Scrolling Up Titles Created in Earlier Versions of PD
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]

Good afternoon everyone. I had occasion yesterday, to use scroll up credits for a wedding video that I shot and that I was editing in PD12. The scroll-up title template that I used was created in PD11. Editing of the title template was absolutely glacial. It was SO slow. I like to reuse my templates as they take a long time to create.

I tested today, using one of the default PD12 title templates, and modifying it, and that worked as it should without the horrendous performance degradation. I am not using Build 2209, having not updated, thanks to the warnings posted on this Forum. My computer is capable of handling HD video, so I am not sure what the issue is, and whether I am the only one experiencing it.

I would hate to have to recreate all of my specialized scroll up ending credits that I created with previous PD versions. Will there be a patch, or is there a way, anyone knows, to "convert" my previous version scroll-up title templates so that they will work normally in PD12?

Any advice appreciated. Thank you and have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Good afternoon everyone. I had occasion yesterday, to use scroll up credits for a wedding video that I shot and that I was editing in PD12. The scroll-up title template that I used was created in PD11. Editing of the title template was absolutely glacial. It was SO slow. I like to reuse my templates as they take a long time to create.

I tested today, using one of the default PD12 title templates, and modifying it, and that worked as it should without the horrendous performance degradation. I am not using Build 2209, having not updated, thanks to the warnings posted on this Forum. My computer is capable of handling HD video, so I am not sure what the issue is, and whether I am the only one experiencing it.

I would hate to have to recreate all of my specialized scroll up ending credits that I created with previous PD versions. Will there be a patch, or is there a way, anyone knows, to "convert" my previous version scroll-up title templates so that they will work normally in PD12?

Any advice appreciated. Thank you and have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

Hi Phil,
Doesn't sound good. Could you please carry out the following.
1. Duplicate/save to a new named file, the PDR11 pds with the slow scroll.
2. Open the PDR11 duplicate project with the slow template.
3. Isolate the Title - delete everything else in your project tracks except for the title - use a sample image as the backdrop.
4. Save the project to a new named pds file.
5. open the file and check the issue still occurrs.
6. Export the project asis.
7. Attach the pds and the Title folder - zipped, to your reply here.
I'll run the Title and pass it onto CyberLink.

If you don't wish to attach the Title or the pds, it should be small enough to email me - do so.

Dafydd

PS Should be ok to install 2209 and get the fix from me - test it out.
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Dafydd:

Thank you for your prompt reply. Unfortunately, I do not have any of my PD11 project .pds files in native format. The three projects on the go that were started in PD11 have been imported in and saved out in PD12.

What I do have showing in PD12 is the custom title scroll-up templates that I saved from projects created in PD11. It is in trying to use those PD11 scroll-up title templates in PD12 that I am encountering the horrendous performance issues. So unfortunately I cannot undertake the tests you have requested. I am sorry. Once I burn projects and deliver them, and the client has successfully viewed the DVD or BD, I delete all of the associated project files and media files. I always provide the client with a minimum of two copies and recommend that they be stored in separate locations.

What I have done is attach one of the PD11 title templates in a PD12 .pds file that I did "save as" but PD12 only partially saved and retained names that I had modified. It appears you have to save multiple times to fully overwrite/modify a title template (noted that when modifying a PD12 default template as well). The PD11 title does work properly in the project as I modified it but it took upwards of two hours to modify the PD11 title template. Also I kept encountering that old error: "Improper Argument Encountered."

By the way, other than the title template, the only media image is the default "forest.jpg."

I will be interested in learning if this helps you, or Cyberlink, in any way. Thank you again, Dafydd. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
 Filename
pac-test.pds
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
930 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
423 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 29. 2013 05:10

Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Phil,
I'm not sure what's going on - made my computer "unhappy". Patch and Fix installed.
I'll refer it to CyberLink.
Dafydd
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Phil,

I can concur with Dafydd- tested your pds file on my shiny new PD 12 using WinPRO 8.1 x64 with patch 2109 (not the buggy 2209)
Slooooooowwww opening the title. Takes forever to do anything with it.
I tried several tweaks and played with it but no luck.

The only error message I got was when I tried to open it in PD 11- says it's a PD 12 only file or some such.

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
G'day Phil -

I found the same thing. That scrolling credits template made PD12 hang all over the place. Selected title and had to wait 20 seconds to change duration... 30 seconds to modify.

When I made my own scrolling title of similar length & saved it as a template, it behaved as you'd expect.

Why not make your template much more basic - a few common words you use with formatted text & motion - then just copy & paste when you're making the actual title?

I can't see a reason for that template to cause a problem, but it clearly does.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
garioch7
[Post New]
Thank you, Dafydd, Rob, and Tony for taking the time to test and, happily for me, I guess, confirm that there is an issue. The approach you suggest is a good one, Tony. I have just been in the habit of saving as a template one I actually used in a project and then reusing it and overwriting the names and changed info to my next project.

If Cyberlink is not able to address this in a reasonable time frame, then I will do as you suggest, creating a scroll-up title template from scratch in PD12. As I noted and you did, native templates created in PD12 function fine during the limited testing I did.

Thanks again all, and have a great day. Your help is MUCH APPRECIATED.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra