Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Windows 8 + PowerDVD 13 + 3D Bluray = Stuttering
chrisloudon [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 18, 2013 10:58 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Ok troops got a bit of an issue since updating my PC's to Windows 8.

I have two Windows 8 PC’s, one as an HTPC in the living room and another as a gaming rig in the bedroom. Specs as follows:

HTPC: Core i7 2600k 3.8GHz, 4Gb Ram, 2 x 1TB HDD’s Raid 0, NVidia GTX570, NO Optical Drive.

Gaming: Core i7 3820 4.3GHz, 16Gb Ram, 2 x 256MB SSD’s Raid 0, 2 x NVidia GTX680’s SLI, Pioneer Blu-ray Drive.

Both systems are fully updated and have the latest drivers for all hardware.

Both systems work perfectly and have never crashed or blue screened since installing windows 8.

Because the HTPC has no optical drive I rip my 3D blu-rays to ISO using DVDFab from my gaming PC and store on a NAS.

I copy the ISO to the PC and playback locally mounting using Daemon Tools.

The issue I’m having is when using PowerDVD 13 to play back my 3D content, every few minutes I get a short stutter in the video, audio however is fine. I have tried all my movies and it occurs on every movie at frequent intervals but not like clockwork.

Non-3D titles or turning off 3D mode within PowerDVD fixes the problem.

Although I don’t watch blu-rays on the gaming PC, I have (for diagnostic purposes) installed PowerDVD on that system too and the problem still occurs.

Both PC’s are connected to 3D TV’s (one passive and one active shutter) and to AV receivers using HDMI. The HTPC decodes to PCM as the receiver its connected to can’t decode HD Audio but the gaming rig is connected an HD Audio capable receiver so I have PowerDVD set to bitstream. My HDMI setup is 2 separate cables from graphics card to screen and receiver and my screen setup to ‘extend’ NOT ‘clone’

I have looked at my task manger during playback and throughout the stutters, CPU, Memory and Disk access loads are all a little over idle.

Playback from the original disk doesn’t fix.

Running 1 HDMI cable to TV only doesn’t fix.

Using Windows image mounter instead of Daemon Tools doesn’t fix.

Reverting to Windows 7 DOES FIX but isn’t an acceptable solution.

Ripping (using DVDFab) to H-SBS or Full Frame SBS mkv DOES FIX but again isn’t really a solution.

I've sent this off to Cyberlink support but on the off chance they can't find a solution maybe someone here can.

I hope you can help.

Chris.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 18. 2013 11:15

[Post New]
Since ripping seems to fix it, have you tried to play the discs with AnyDVD HD?

PS: I'm VERY happy to have stuck to Windows 7. Windows 8 really seems to be a huge pile of bloated crap.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 19. 2013 08:10

My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7
chrisloudon [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 18, 2013 10:58 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Korrigan, many thanks for your reply,

Unfortunately as AnyDVD HD is just a ripper utility like DVDFab and not a player that's not really helped. I did however try ripping the disk to ISO using AnyDVD instead of DVDFab but it didn't work.

I have just downloaded a trail version of Arcsoft's Total Media Theatre 6 and both 3D Bluray disk and ISO playback work perfectly so its definitely a PowerDVD issue.

I suppose if Cyberlink support can't solve it then I'll just need to see how receptive they are to a refund. Spending another 100 quid isn't on my wish list.

thanks again

Chris.
[Post New]
Nope, it's not just a ripper utility, it also disables all protections and also BDlive and stuff like that. It also has a speedmenu feature.

There's a free trial of anydvd hd, try it. My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7
Ralphey88 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 14, 2013 13:28 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi
I have the exact same problem when using the trial version and it's a shame!
Avengers and Wreck it Ralph dont stutter. However my Prometheus or How to train a Dragon Discs are a mess.
I need Powerdvd 13 because of its audio delay option! I use a soundcard + headphones and
in all 3d movies i get an annoying delay in all other Software BR players.

A Solution for 3D BR + Windows 8 is much needed

Ralf
neograniceni [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 30, 2013 04:42 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Have the same problem since v12. Windows 8.1 + ATI Radeon 6670. Stuttering every few minutes, random position. 3D blu-ray only. Disc or ISO, doesn't matter. There was also the same problem with TMT5/6, but tried latest TMT6.5 and it works flawlessly.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
did you Report this issue to our technical Support Team yet? If not please do so!

please also check the "welcome" thread:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/27714.page

Greetings
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
neograniceni [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 30, 2013 04:42 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Did someone tried the latest patch if the problem still exists ? Thanks.
Manoroid [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 10, 2010 23:07 Messages: 143 Offline
[Post New]
Has any fixed their stuttering problem yet?
Ralphey88 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 14, 2013 13:28 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi
Last week i reset my computer. Installed Windows 8.1 with newest drivers.
Powerdvd with latest Patch still beginns to stutter for a few seconds after watching a few minutes.
Still not in all my BR. Prometheus is a mess.
In the Avengers i did not find any stutter after watching ca. 15 minutes.

My System: Intel i2500 with 8gb ram and nvidia 460

Please fix this!!!
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
sorry, but there are still too Little Information to reproduce those symptoms on our side.

please refer to my previous posting:

Quote:
did you Report this issue to our technical Support Team yet? If not please do so!

please also check the "welcome" thread:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/27714.page

thx
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
badlypackedkebab [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 24, 2014 18:59 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Had the same issue with a number of films whilst others played back fine.
Every instance of playback issues has so far been resolved by running anyDVD HD. All issues so far have been caused by various protection on the disks. AnyDVD will remove these as well as showing what protection has been removed.

One of the issues was with Prometheus, and I was using TMT. Went on their support forums and they described that they were not given a copy of the disk before release so were unable to release any updates to their software before the film went on sale and the issue was due to a new variation of disk protection (I find FOX releases to be the worst). I ran AnyDVD HD (needs to be up to date) and *BAM* works perfectly. Occasionally get issues with audio sync but I can quickly and easily resolve this by adjusting the audio sync on the AMP. If you don't use an AMP with this function, most playback software has this option included.

BPK