Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Music Magic / SmartSound
TwoRails [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 21, 2013 19:41 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
One of the many reasons I went with Power Director is so I can add music to my home movies. I really like Music Magic so I checked out Smart Sound's Web site. Smart Sound, as a standalone product, has some very cool features, like Timing Control/Music Events, Mood Mapping, and more.

If I purchase the standalone program, does it integrate well with Power Director? Will Power Director now also have all the features of the standalone? Or would I have to go back-n-forth and import from Smart Sound 's output?

Can it import my own sounds clips and use features like auto fit and the like?

Any and all help is appreciated :

Thanks
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
SonicFire Pro does not integrate with PD, yet.
Any Smartsound files in both programs will sit in the same folder and be easily used/accessed.
Both SFP and PD use SS programmable music files, and can use "normal" music, too, though "normal" music must be tweaked manually.
http://youtu.be/j-yAFqf3ILA HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
TwoRails [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry for the late reply, BarryTheCrab... somehow I missed the email notification. Sorry.

And thanks for the reply!!!
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
In PD12 clicking the Magic Tool and clicking the Magic Music (hold down Alt + F5) will bring up the Smart Sound Quicktracks.

These are great for quick and simply adding sound to your video.

I and others also purchased the SonicFire PRO software additionally since it has the things that you mention.
It is not as integrated as the dedicated plugins for Adobe and other video editing prms. (One of the things I and others are hounding Cyberlink to get done.)

But- you can start SonicFire PRO separately and import your video clips, do the mood mapping, timing and such then save and open that up into PD. I usually just click on my clip- find the length and then have SonicFire PRO open in the background. I then find a song I like and set the time to begin and end with the start / end of my clip. Export that and save the sound file and bring it back into PD for addition to the video clip.

Multiple ways of doing things- sounds confusing now but gets so much easier after a couple times.
You will enjoy the new music and ability to really tweak things.

Just wait for the sales that SmartSound usually have- try to pick up Multi-layer Albums since they offer so much more than single layer tracks. (You can spend tons of time just messing with the sound and not acutally getting any editing done because it's so much fun.. I find myself just playing with the sound stages and such just for the heck of it.)

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
TwoRails [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the detailed info, Rob. Yeah, it does sound like a lot of fun and I can see how one could get lost in playing around with it.

I have to admit, however, I got a serious case of sticker shock when I was playing samples of an album on SmartSound’s Web site... While in Magic Music, I saw all those greyed out track samples. I assumed (hate that word) that *all* of them came in one album. My jaw almost hit the keyboard when I realized that there are only 10 tracks in an album!

That really put a damper on things. They have a lot of very nice stuff available and I just don’t have the budget for it. I’m not a pro or even doing indie work; just putting together some home movies, and most of them from VHS tapes at that. That, and since you’ve taught me about multi-layer, the program loses some of its magic since all my clips are stereo.

Now I have to really think about it… I know if I get the program, I’ll want more and more albums which I just can’t financially do.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
As Rob has stated, if you wait for sales, 2-3 times a year, you can get great deals. You can also "team up" with another editor buddy and combine $$ to buy an album pack.
It would be a good idea to get on the SS mailing list and you'll get emails on special deals. NEVER pay full price. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
TwoRails [Avatar]
[Post New]
Getting on the mailing list sounds like a good idea, BarryTheCrab. I'll do as you two advise and wait for a sale(s).

Thanks!
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
... You can also "team up" with another editor buddy and combine $$ to buy an album pack...

Just to add to this- be careful if you intend to upload to sites that check music copyright / license and ownership. For instance Youtube allows third party license holders to check music in all video clips hosted on YouTube. If they find that the music is not registered to you they flag your video and start to monetize the video by putting their adverts on it. You just agree to it and they will leave your video up. Other times they can be more aggressive and send a take down notice which can result in a copyright infringement strike against you. Three (3) Copyright type strikes and your YouTube channel will get taken down.

So if you buy an album and your friend(s) use that same song / tune in their video clips that you use- YouTube auto scanners find it, alert the copyright holders, they will send you a copyright type notice. They might also query SmartSound to see if you are indeed the licensee and then your account on SmartSound *might* also get flagged. Just be aware.

There are some notorious third party entities that will flag almost anything that you upload with music / sound in it. I usually tell them to take a hike since I own the license to the music I use. They then take away the copyright flag on my video. If they still persist forward it to SmartSound and their legal team will straighten them out. See info here: http://www.smartsound.com/support/link.php?action=detail&id=305

Once you buy a SmartSound album / song / sound effect you can use it for personal and commercial purposes - up to a point. See here, more than 10 000 units require an additional "Mechanical" licensing fee See here: http://www.smartsound.com/support/licenseinfo

"Royalty Free" is great- just be aware of the pitfalls and usage.

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
... You can also "team up" with another editor buddy and combine $$ to buy an album pack...

This is meant to SPLIT an album purchase between editors to take advantage of multi-album purchase power, it was just a thought, I'll look into it more to see if it's possible/economical.
Quote: SmartSound *might* also get flagged. Just be aware.

Yes, I have had copyrights flagged on Youtube with Smartsound, but it's a quirk of the system and it never goes anywhere.
Quote: "Royalty Free" is great- just be aware of the pitfalls and usage. Rob

Very true. That applies to music, speech, images, all sorts of things, and it gets more important as you get a bigger audience and start making money, people notice. I have many links to quality music, free, with CC copyrights.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 07. 2013 19:10

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
LostTarget [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 09, 2008 11:38 Messages: 40 Offline
[Post New]
RE: flagged on Youtube with Smartsound

I've had it happen a couple of times.

I copy the flagged information provided by YouTube, and email to Smartsound, along with my Smartsound registration information.

I include the URL of the video flagged, music used, to include start and stop times.

Smartsound sends me a reply in the format (information) required by Youtube. I send it to Youtube via my account and problem solved,
digital [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 25, 2012 15:28 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have many links to quality music, free, with CC copyrights.

Care to share some of these with someone who is just getting into PowerDirector and is looking for something different from the music which comes with the package?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi digital -

Just click on the link to Barry's site in his signature.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
digital [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 25, 2012 15:28 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi digital -

Just click on the link to Barry's site in his signature.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks! I tend not to read sigs.