Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PDR7 Hard General Protection fault during Create Disk!
Wildview [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 25, 2007 14:49 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
Dafydd,
I probably should have waited just a bit before purchasing PDR7 since I keep running into several problems. I got passed the install issue with the corrupted install and got it installed. However, I have found another hard general protection fault when trying to use the Create Disk option. If I just click on the create disk menu option with just a few photos in the timeline I get a general protection fault every time right off the bat and the software crashes. Not sure what to do next. Any ideas?

I have attached the GP fault error condition.

Thanks,
Robert
[Thumb - PDR7_CreateDiskError.JPG]
 Filename
PDR7_CreateDiskError.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
69 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
206 time(s)
[Post New]
Hi Robert - not Dafydd (sorry!) but just to say you're not alone on this one. I have had exactly the same error both on an upgrade installation (XP) and a clean installation (Vista).

Note the error is on menutemplateio.dll. Notwithstanding this support have advised me to:
- empty my temp folder
- defrag my disk
- increase virtual memory
- uninstall and reinstall PD7
- reset my display settings
- stop all startup programs
- oh, and update drivers (despite me telling them in advance they were up to date)

And that was just the first email! Subsequent ones suggested removing Nero, Ulead and also, incredibly, that my dual boot system was to blame.

Frankly I am not impressed with this sort of throw everything out but the kitchen sink approach - but let's not even admit there might be a problem with the software.

Unfortunately there was no trial version when I purchased so I am asking for a refund in the meantime. I have gone back to PD6 and there is no problem with the Create Disk function.

I wish you better luck!

Regards

Andrew
Wildview [Avatar]
[Post New]
Andrew,

Thanks for the heads up. Yep, I agree that is the wrong response from Cyberlink. We need to have the developers looking into the menutemplateio.dll to find out what would cause the GP fault. I’m sure it’s probably a problem where the dll is conflicting with some other driver, but removing everything off my system is not acceptable either.

I actually had a chance to be a beta tester for PDR7 and now I which I would have since I have a lot of different hardware to test it on. Oh well, I know John and the software staff at Cyberlink will get it fix eventually, but in the meantime, I think I might ask for a refund too and go back to PDR6 for now since there’s still some more work to do here.

What usually happens, is Marketing starts to push the software guys to a release date too quickly and this is usually the outcome. Trust me, I’ve been there many times with my company.

Thanks again,
Robert
[Post New]
That's a coincidence, Robert. I had the opportunity to beta-test as well. My reason for declining was just having too much on my plate at this time and that's really why I've decided not to persevere on this one.

The release seemed to follow hard on the heels of the testing phase so I suspect you're absolutely right about the marketing getting ahead of the bug-fixing...
Wildview [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd,

I loaded PDR7 on my Dell machine today and the Create Disk function works on this machine , I like the new interface BTW. My other machine has an AMD processor and it also has Pinnacle installed, would this software conflict and cause the Create Disk GP fault I was seeing with PDR7?

One feature I wish you could add to PDR is the ablity to return to the menu after playing a chapter. This is the only reason I have to use Pinnacle for, but if you guys would kindly add that feature I would just stick with Cyberlink. I think I mentioned this to you while you were still working on this version.

Anyway, I will keep you posted if I find any other problems, but at least I got things going now on my other Dell machine.

Thanks,
Robert

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 20. 2008 23:31