Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to put Video cassette onto PD11 to upgrade quality for Blu Ray.
jaymay22
Member Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia. Joined: Aug 27, 2009 07:18 Messages: 143 Offline
[Post New]
This is a great big 'How to'.
Has anyone tried putting old home movies that are on video cassette tape playable on a VCR, onto computer so that you can work with it in Cyberlink?

There are multiple questions here, I know.

I have:
1. the original mini video cassettes - What are they called, Hi 8 or something.
2. The original Sony Handicam camera they were shot on.
3. a working vcr
4. the regular sized video cassettes I transferred the minis to. (lovely quality on an old non digital TV)
5. DVDs I dubbed the video cassettes to.
oh..and 6. The files that I got off the dvds and transferred to the computer (but they don't seem very good quality now that they're digital)

What I found is that the dvds play HORRIBLY on the new High def TVs, and not very nicely on computer either.
My original video is absolutely beautiful quality, with an old sony camcorder played on the old analogue tvs we used to have.
I'm just so disappointed, all my lovely baby video of my kids looks awful compared to the way it was, and having a cameraman father I'm used to things looking nice.
I wonder if I can somehow get the same quality, using some method of transfer to the computer and then using Cyberlink to adjust stuff, upgrade the video quality??, edit bits out, enhance others, but basically to get the same lovely HDef quality of video that it was before. (its 4:3 of course)

This kind of thing screws with my head.
Some kind of guide or instructions for techno dummies would work well with me.
I love doing it, I just hate researching HOW to do it.

1. how to get it onto the computer, in files that Cyberlink can work with.
2. how to use Cyberlink to enhance the quality? better than the dvds I dubbed. (not the splicing, the definition.)
3. so that I can finally make blue ray discs that will play in good quality on our big tv. (at least I know how to do that!)

Basically, Video tape to blu ray with no loss of quality. Big ask???

ANY advice or help will be appreciated, particularly from those who have tried it. Step by little-dummy-step would be good.

with thanks, Jenny.

Jenny
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Capturing Video Tape is very hard to get really good quality.

You are starting with a low quality format. Home Video Recorders have low resolution to begin with.

You need the best capture method you can use.

The best method is a Time Base corrector. (Very expensive).
Search for "Time Base corrector" for more information.

The second best method may be a "Canopus / Grass Valley Bidirectional Analog/Digital Video Conversion ADVC110".
Cost is about $180.

You might have to use third party Capture software, PD's capture module is not the best.

Once you have the best digital capture you can make, Powerdirector does have some enhancement ability that helps.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Rob1492 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 20, 2012 00:52 Messages: 47 Offline
[Post New]
There's hope for those lovely baby videos of yours.

Consider paying a service bureau to transfer your original Sony camcorder Hi-8 analog tapes to a DVD or Blu-ray disc that you can put in your DVD or Blu-ray player and watch. There are many companies that provide this service and you can find them with an online search.

If you want to edit the files, a service bureau can do the transfer and provide digital video files in AVI or similar format on a a DVD or Blu-ray data disc for you to edit in PowerDirector on your PC. Sometimes these companies provide these files on a hard drive you purchase or provide.

But if you want to do the whole capture thing yourself, you are going down the road many have travelled. Here is what's involved...

You have your videos, a camcorder, your PC and PowerDirector. You need to purchase a video capture device. Often the video capture software comes with the hardware device. If not, there are many freeware utilities out there for capturing video.

As Carl recommended, the Canopus ADC-110 is a great device, or the slightly older ADVC-100. You can find these devices through online retailers or auction sites. The drawback with the Canopus is that it connects to your PC with a firewire cable, so you need a firewire port on your PC. If you don't have this port, purchase a firewire port add-in card.

Start with your original source, the Hi-8 analog video cassettes - the ones that were in your Sony camcorder - and play them back on your camcorder, connected to the Canopus, to your PC. The Canopus will convert the analog video to a digital format and save it on your PC in an editor friendly video file format like AVI. Then edit these digital video files to your hearts content with PowerDirector, apply corrections and enhancements, and burn to a file or disc.

Instead of the Canopus, you can try one of those USB capture devices. The audio and video outputs from your camcorder plug into the capture device, and the USB cable plugs into your computer. There are many different USB capture device models. Some of them are very inexpensive. In general, they work for capturing video, expecially for short sequences, but some have their quirks.

Hi-8 (analog video) and digital-8 (digital video) used the same tapes, so double check to see what format you have.

You can get good results by starting with your original tapes. It's no surprise your computer videos look bad. You are several generations degraded (camcorder tape to VHS, VHS to DVDs, then DVD files copied to computer).

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
If you have a modern camcorder, it may have a A/V to D/V conversion function. Check your owner's manual. I use my Canon HV-30 and it works great. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Rob1492 [Avatar]
[Post New]
The original poster has a camera that records standard definition analog video in Hi-8 format. The Canon HV-30 records digital video, either high definition or regular definition, onto DV or mini-DV tape. Video from the Canon is already in digital format and does not need any conversion.

Digital-8 camcorders will play Hi-8 tapes. If the OP obtains a digital-8 camcorder, and that camcorder has DV out, and the camcorder converts analog to digital, then the A/D conversion is done by the camera and all is left is to transfer the video file to the computer by Firewire.

My opinion is that a service bureau is the best way to go for a one-time conversion of these older tapes, especially for someone who describes herself as a "techno dummy."
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I believe Barry was saying to feed the video through the Canon to convert it. That's what I did when I transferred my VHS to disc. However, I found, using an older version of PD at the time, that PD would not read the original source and I had to use a different program to transfer. Then import to PD for editing. That was probably because my camcorder used tape also. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Jamie, you are correct, I guess I was a little unclear, but my HV-30 is the transfer device.
As for the actual capture software, I use WMM, but I may test PD11 and 12, just to see what happens. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Rob1492 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Barry is right and has a great idea, I misunderstood his post.

BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Well, it's a "great idea" for those who own an AV/DV capable camera, some folks might not even know it.
The function may be limited to digital tape-based cameras, my Canon HF-20 was AVC and did not have that ability.
Just mentioning it to possibly save the OP a few bucks, though a dedicated capture dongle would no doubt be easier to master. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I used a VCR passed through my Canon DV camcorder (DV tape) and into the computer. The problem I had was that when I clicked record in PD, the camcorder would start playing. I never found a way to get it to record from the VCR, even though it was running at the time. This same set up did work using some freeware that I found.

I would expect it to work better with a digital camera that saves to memory card, but have never tried it. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
jaymay22
Member Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia. Joined: Aug 27, 2009 07:18 Messages: 143 Offline
[Post New]
Hmmm....I have a Panasonic TM900.
It has an HDMI port, a usb port (small socket) and an AV Multi port...which sounds promising.
Yes, I'm a techno dummy,...as in I don't know what these things are for, but I'm pretty good at working it out. (just don't use any too-technical terms, as I won't know what they mean.)

I was able to get all my '78s records, my old audio cassettes (of me speaking as a child) etc, onto the computer through a cable/cassette player and software so I reckon I can give this a go. I've got a VCR, happy to find or buy the cords required, and I have a ONE TOUCH DIAMOND
MULTIMEDI VIDEO CAPTURE DEVICE, which I bought last year. (I've yet to open it.)

In fact, I have also dubbed the video to DVD with a video/dvd combo unit, and then transferred the dvd files to the computer. It's just that the quality is so poor on a digital tv, I was wondering if there's a more sensible, more effective, better quality way to do it.

There's been some FANTASTIC posts here.

BARRY: I was particularly interested in Barry's using the camera to convert idea.
I'm not quite sure how to do that though or if either of my two cameras would do it.
I have the old Sony Handicam, it was waaaaayyy before digital so def. does not have a digital conversion, I wouldn't think. (1994/5), but my Panasonic TM900, as I've mentioned, does have the AV Multi port. It says in the manual that it's used to watch the footage on a TV. I've never needed to do this as I like editing it first. Is this the port that would do the conversion? I have looked in my (very large manual) and can't see a conversion function, but as it is one of the higher end consumer level cameras, I thought it might. ???
I'm assuming you mean put my original tapes in the VCR, hook the vcr up to the camera (some how??), and the camera to the pc.?? - I would need software, the Diamond capture I have, has it, but perhaps that's only for the device.

ROB: I wish I had the funds to pay someone, but fortunately...or unfortunately my father was a renowned cameraman, and I have zillions of hours of footage, which is why I'd love to do it myself to edit it. Not to mention I'm sure I'd enjoy it once I find out how! So I have the diamond video capture unit. Or my two cameras, one analog and one digital. Plus a VCR. I'm thinking the Diamond capture is going to work something like your Canopus. It is a USB device though, but rated one of the most popular and better working. I guess I should just go for it. I suppose my question was Which method will work best? for lots of tape, and best quality possible.

Just looking at my Daimond capture thing. It has an av multicable supplied, but the plugs look nothing like the little AV multi port in my camera. They're the red white yellow combo ones.

This is the bit I hate. I know too much to just let it all go (I want the best quality, I want to edit it, and I WANT my videos!) but not enough to know exactly how to do it. Research.

JAIME - Ive never heard of DV tape. My Sony was of course not digital video, but earlier than that. 1994 ish. or a b it later? I can't quite remember, it's a Sony Handicam shooting video Hi 8. It is a wonderful camera, but I haven't used it in years except to play the video tapes into the vcr to dub them. It has only the yellow and black round ports. S video is it?

anyway, I'm watching all your posts with tons of interest. If you had my equipment, what would you try? Happy to spend a little on cables etc, but not hundreds.

What a shame it won't look as nice as it did when first shot.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 15. 2013 00:04

Jenny
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
To my knowledge, the TM900 does not have a built in AV > DV converter like many Canon's, including the HV30 have, so this option is not available to you. You will need to use a converter device as suggested, your ONE TOUCH DIAMOND is such a device.

Playback device > ONE TOUCH DIAMOND > computer, capture with supplied software or other software

Playback device > AV/DV capable camera(like HV30...) > computer, capture with Movie Maker or other software

The ONE TOUCH DIAMOND has a Svideo jack (black multi pin jack), I've had better luck using the Svideo jack over RCA (yellow plug) for video quality if your playback device supports. You still need Red/White RCA jacks for audio. The capture quality can be set in the capture software.

Jeff
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
I have a Sony HDD/DVD recorder player onto which I have been transferring some of my old Hi8 recordings. I capture to the HD first and do an initial edit before dubbing to a DVD-RW. The VOB's then import directly into PD from the disc.

My trouble is I never get anything finished because I get bogged down watching the old stuff and waste hours reminiscing
Rob1492 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Let's start with the Hi-8.

"What a shame it won't look as nice as it did when first shot."

Not necessarily. You can get good results. Keep in mind that what you are starting out with is standard definition video. That was all that was available back then. And you are probably going to view it on a flat screen TV that's bigger than your old tube TV.

First, you will not use the VCR to capture video. Same with those VHS VCR tapes you have and those DVDs you made. Put all that aside.

------> You are going to capture your video from the original tapes that ran through your camcorder. <-------

Go to [url]http://www.diamondmm.com/vc500-diamond-one-touch-video-capture-edit-stream.html[/url] to download the latest drivers for your Diamond multimedia device. Install them.

You will hookup the yellow and black Hi-8 camera outputs to the red white and yellow inputs on the Diamond. Yellow goes to yellow, that's video. Now the black output is your audio out. It is mono. Your Diamond has red and white inputs for stereo. So you will want to use a Y adapter to connect your single mono output from the camera to the red and white stereo inputs on the Diamond. If you want to just try a short test until you get a Y adapter just hook up your mono audio to one channel on the Diamond. [Yes, you can duplicate a mono track in editing software, but I'm trying to keep it simple].

Put your tape in your Hi-8 camera and play it. Launch your capturing software, and capture video. Then stop the capture and look at your results. Let us know it goes.

Start there.

Today you have added a Panasonic camera into to the mix and that complicates things. So just start with one thing.

I've used USB capture devices before (two different ones) and eventually abandoned them for the Canopus. The Canopus does not need a driver, so a lot of compatibility problems are eliminated. And it does not screw up the audio sync with the video.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 15. 2013 16:32

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
If you are not going to spend the money for the Canopus, you can go for a quality USB capture device.

I would recommend this one:
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_usblive2.html

It costs about $50 and is about as good a USB device you can find.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Rob1492,
For a "newbie", you sure are stepping up to the plate. This forum is a great place to find help. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Rob1492 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Barry. I'm still learning from you guys, and glad to contribute where I can. And glad to see our original poster really wants to learn editing.
jaymay22
[Post New]
Fantastic information.
I feel like I can really tackle this huge project. Thankyou.
I've just looked up Canopus on google, Amazon have one that seems reasonable.
This is the ad, since there are lots of different canopus products, I wanted to check if this seems the correct one to get, or something like this? img attached.

Seems to me that my hours and hours of video that are very special to me, are worth an extra $100. (not to mention the fun I'll have editing it.) So now I just have to find the right one, at the best price. Things like this seem cheaper in the USA than here in Australia.

ROB: You're right of course, my dad always said to use the earliest generation of footage you can, and run it off the most original equipment you can to get the best play quality. So I'll use the small Hi 8 tapes in the camera.
I will test the diamond capture, as you suggested, but am feeling more and more inclined to invest in the Canopus. Your explanation is wonderful, thankyou for taking the time to explain the leads etc, THAT"S the area that I have the most problem. It's not obvious to me what goes where. It's appreciated, thankyou.
I'll do a test shortly.
CARL: I think I'll take your advice and look for a canopus. I only want to do this once.
LONGEDGE - Hilarious. Same. I transfer to blu ray (and accidentally watch it), I sort the old videos (and accidentally watch them), I file the digital copies to Ext. Hard drive, and again...find my self accidentally watching them. That's what they're for!!
It's the Capture part, that I'm having trouble with. But slowly getting it sorted.

All of you, thankyou. This is extremely helpful.
I've got to finish my current project first....only about 5000 more photos to go. Should take me another 3-4 days. Scanning them then saving it do disc, then archiving them. From about the year 1900 to 2008 It worries me having only one paper copy of precious photos.
Now I'm going off to look at Canopus.
[Thumb - Capture.PNG]
 Filename
Capture.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
canopus / amazon item.
 Filesize
323 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
141 time(s)
Jenny
jaymay22
[Post New]
oh darn. I don't think my computer has a firewire port!!!! My laptop seems to have a 4 pin port, but I can't see any on my NEW PC. Jenny
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: oh darn. I don't think my computer has a firewire port!!!! My laptop seems to have a 4 pin port, but I can't see any on my NEW PC.

You can get a firewire to usb adapter cable, it won't cost much at all.

p.s. it's important to have the best possible connection i.e. cable and connectors on the analog side of the converter. A short high quality cable. The firewire port is the digital connection to the computer.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 16. 2013 04:04