Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How can I shuffle/reorganize items in the media library?
Fontasy77 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 27, 2013 18:52 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]

I want to reorganize the items in the media library for a project, but it insists on displaying them/ordering them by name, duration, file size, date or type. But I don't want to order them in any of these ways. I want to put them in the order that I'll most likely use them in the video.

I couldn't figure out how to do this, so I tried a work-around. I organized the files in a PhotoShop album just the way I want them, then imported them into the media library. You guessed it. Media library immediately changed the order, destroying my organization.

Thanks for any help.

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Fontasy,
welcome to the forum.
The library system does not work that way.
You can, however, make folders in the library and organize your media by folder name. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Fontasy77 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Barry,

Thanks much for the quick reply.

Your note said that you can "make folders" in the media library. But I guess that simply means that you can import folders with fotos in them. So same problem there. Any folders created in Word in Windows 7 does the same frustrating thing that the PD media library does: it does not permit you to sort and arrange the files/fotos the way you would like. It insists on putting them in a prescribed order and always tears apart any organization you might attempt.

I've certainly found the situation dismaying, but I'm hoping I'm overlooking some solution to this basic problem.

If there really is no solution, then I can't understand how any video editor can efficiently deal with the dozens of files and fotos that must be placed in a video project in a desired order -- if the media library requires you to scroll up and down through the files in order to try to find the next file that you would like to put in the timeline.

Thanks again for any advice you can offer.

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
I think you are underestimating the difficulty of file organisation. Your OS and the software that runs under it, need to rely on some "static" flags, such as file name, time, date etc to organise your files. Some programs allow additional "tags" to be created and then used, as in photoshop - but usually only within that program.

How would you suggest that PD organises the files that you need based on the order that they appear in your - as yet - unedited video?

Presumably, in your planning you would think "yeah that one first, that one second, etc.................." but how is PD to know that, do you require PD to somehow add your customised tag to the file?

If so, try using the Alias function, which allows you to "rename" files in the media library by attaching an alias to them that does not change their file name, but does allow you to name them as you see fit.

Personally, I've never used it much, as I organise my files differently on my HDDs anyway.

Cheers
Adrian
[Thumb - alias.PNG]
 Filename
alias.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
221 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
731 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 07. 2013 02:43

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I forgot about ALIAS, that would work, too.
Now then...you can create folders/tags within PD itself.
Look back at Adrian's photo, see the arrowed tab next to the motorcycle image? Click on that tab and it opens the folder/tag interface.
You can create a new folder, name it (tag) and drag media from your PD library into your new tagged folder.
The same method can be used in most of the other library interfaces, just look for that little arrowed tab. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Fontasy77 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dear Adrian and Barry,

Many thanks for showing me a way to organize my files within the video library. Life should now be easier.

This will certainly work, tho I still find it rather cumbersome. I'm surprised that PD with its obvious great technical talent can't conjure a way to let us randomly shuffle files in the library.

You've got me curious. How do you guys handle file organization prior to creating your full PD video? Let's say you have 30 video files and 30 still shots as your basic source for the final video. Before moving files into the timeline, don't you roughly organize these 60 files into some sort of possible order, so that it's easy to find and bring each one into the timeline? What's your secret?

Again, thank you so much for sharing your expertise.

Don

James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
What I do is when I transfer the videos from the Camera to a hard drive ( I have a 1.5TB external drive) I keep for Camera/Camcorder files and create folders according to the Camera they are coming from, and create sub-folders that relate to the event.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
You've got me curious. How do you guys handle file organization prior to creating your full PD video?

There are a few different ways, depending on complexity, importance and how I feel. The principles I use are outlined in this old 2008 tutorial but brought up to date a bit :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuK7Fhawaf4

Given that storage is cheap enough, taking copies of clips, renaming them etc to project specific folders and names, seems a clear way of organising assets without having to rely on specific programs to "organise" things for me.

Obviously, as time goes on more and more space is required and either big drives or multiple external drives come into play but with a bit of discipline and housekeeping there should be no problems.

If an old project needs to be resurrected from an external drive, then the whole folder containing project specific assets can be copied across, say to C: drive if necessary, and editing should not be compromised. Bear in mind, that if you mix/compose your own music or use other creative programs, then these too may need to be kept "with the project" so to speak and therefore the "project specific" folder approach makes this easier as well.

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Rlj42 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 23, 2014 18:28 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
When I open the Explorer View in PD12, I do not see any options to create a folder. I only have the ability to add/remove tags.
[Thumb - Capture.JPG]
 Filename
Capture.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
26 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
69 time(s)
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: When I open the Explorer View in PD12, I do not see any options to create a folder.

[Thumb - 1.JPG]
 Filename
1.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
37 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
594 time(s)

This message was edited 8 times. Last update was at Feb 23. 2014 20:46

Rlj42 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 23, 2014 18:28 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you, Borgus1. Unfortunately, my freshly installed PD12 does not have that icon there. Instead of the folder icon, it has a tag icon. I've attached the image of my view.
[Thumb - Capture.JPG]
 Filename
Capture.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
26 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
90 time(s)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Rlj42 ,
Please post as a new topic. You've hijacked another member's thread.
Thread closed
Forum Moderator