Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Suggested features for the next PowerDVD version
FXRH [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 14, 2011 00:21 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I have two new features to recommend.

1) Provide 3D playback support for the older field sequential 3D discs such as HAUNTED CASTLE and ENCOUNTERS IN THE THIRD DIMENSION. On the 3D settings screen where you can designate the original format of the source material (such as 2D), add a button for "Field Sequential (HQFS) 3D disc".

2) Refine the interface between PowerDVD and Windows Media Center by allowing any TV signal that is being displayed using Media Center to be accessed by PowerDVD. This feature would allow the PowerDVD 2D-to-3D feature to be applied to the streaming video. I realize that the 2D-to-3D feature can be used with a stored video file (.wtv extension), but this is only currently possible after the video file is closed. The beauty of this feature is that you could then have 2D-to-3D conversion of a live TV signal without having the hardware in the TV itself.
Daelin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 01, 2011 10:22 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
The ability to play FLAC audio tracks embedded in a video would be nice.
[Post New]
The ability to totally disable subtitles. My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7
[Post New]
Quote: The ability to totally disable subtitles.

Or to change the colour/font of subtitles.

Cyberlink sold that as a major feature of the current version, but just happened to forget somehow to tell people that it didn't work with Blu-ray or DVD, only ripped copies converted to formats like AVI. Kinda misleading of them.
Daelin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 01, 2011 10:22 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: The ability to totally disable subtitles.

Or to change the colour/font of subtitles.

Cyberlink sold that as a major feature of the current version, but just happened to forget somehow to tell people that it didn't work with Blu-ray or DVD, only ripped copies converted to formats like AVI. Kinda misleading of them.
I'm not sure how they could do that though, since on disc subs are raster bitmaps. I suppose some trickery could allow something like hue shifting, which would work on already coloured subtitles, but that still wouldn't help with white subtitles.
PMPCOM [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 08, 2012 04:11 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
-Add support of playing (Satelite) stream from net.

-Add details of Audio Languages:
AUDIO 1 (Dolby Digital 5.1)
AUDIO 2 (DTS HDMA 7.1)
Deadeye [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 03, 2013 14:18 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I think you need make a new thread titled
"Features you do not want them to remove from the next PowerDVD Version"
[Post New]
Quote: I'm not sure how they could do that though, since on disc subs are raster bitmaps. I suppose some trickery could allow something like hue shifting, which would work on already coloured subtitles, but that still wouldn't help with white subtitles.

Oh, thanks for that, Daelin — I honestly didn't realise they were pre-generated bitmaps. I thought they were player-generated, which is why I was lobbying Cyberlink for the ability to change typeface and colour. I'd spoken to support about it, and they'd said they would add it to the list for features to be considered; I wonder why they never pointed out that it couldn't be done? And then, when V13 was being launched, one of the new features they specified as a reason to upgrade was that the font could be user-chosen; I think they could have chosen their wording far better.

But I'm very puzzled; if these subtitles aren't player-generated, why the heck are they frequently so bloody ugly and often unreadable? Why do they choose blocky charactes that don't flow easily and disappear into the image behind them? If subtitles on DVD can be player-generated, why not on BD? Is there any advantage to having them as bitmaps, rather than as a text stream?

I guess I've gone a bit off-topic now, sorry, but it was a well-intentioned suggestion to start with.