Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How do I Capture from a JVC Camcorder.
Robert882 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 27, 2013 07:41 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Hi.
Just bought new software Power Director 12 and a JVC Everio GZ-EX355 Full HD. I have download the manual the instruction are as below (my camcorder does not use fire wire).

If your HDV camcorder connects to your computer via a USB connection, just
import the video files directly from your camcorder, as if it was another hard drive
on your computer. See Importing Media for information on importing video files
from your computer.

The question I have is do I just grab the files as they are from the camcorder and dump them on a hard drive. How do I then access them. I know this must sound dumb. Sorry. Newbie
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi.
Just bought new software Power Director 12 and a JVC Everio GZ-EX355 Full HD. I have download the manual the instruction are as below (my camcorder does not use fire wire).

If your HDV camcorder connects to your computer via a USB connection, just
import the video files directly from your camcorder, as if it was another hard drive
on your computer. See Importing Media for information on importing video files
from your computer.

The question I have is do I just grab the files as they are from the camcorder and dump them on a hard drive. How do I then access them. I know this must sound dumb. Sorry. Newbie

Hi Robert882,
We all start off not knowing....
...do I just grab the files as they are from the camcorder and dump them on a hard drive.?
Yes. Put all your video files into a new folder. Create a new folder whenever you put a new lot of video onto your hard drive.
How do I then access them.?
Either/or
1. Use drag and drop to put them into the Library/Media Room of PDR12
2. Or, Go to the Import Media button top left to bring the media files into the same location.

Use drag and drop to individually or en-mass into the video tracks.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 27. 2013 08:22

Robert882 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just following up. Tried the instruction, could not import files. My camera generates four folder on the top level. AVCHD, DCIM EXTIMOV and PRIVATE folders. I don not know what they do. I noticed that in the PD manual it had said that Power director imports DAT. So I tried the DAT files in the PRIVATE folder, There were 2 DAT files for the short clip I shot. AVCID.DAT and DCFID.Dat. Power Director did not like them. I get an error message about unsupported media, broken file, or protect or some other reason. Has anybody got any ideas please.
Robert882 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Dafydd. Will try a drag and drop of the DAT files into the media room. Still no work, mmmm

I have tried all the different Video quality option on my camera, (though that might be the problem ) from high to low, still PD will not import my DAT files. Has anyone else used a JVC Everio camcorder. Please I am at my end here. I have spent hour searching the internet for any help or advice. What I have found is that it should work, it should import DAT. I am trying to get in contact with Cyberlink, but I gets directed to this forum.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Sep 27. 2013 09:31

James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
They video on the JVC Cameras are in the private folder then DCIM folder>Stream. Depending on which way you access them your will see a bunch of other files just import the mts files the other files are for the camcorder functions.
Jim
Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
Robert882 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi James
Thanks heaps fro getting back to me. Just took a small shoot and tried what you suggested. I plug the camera in and connect (upload function) to the PC and navigate to the folder DCIM, it is empty.

When I connect to the PC , 2 Autoplay windows pop up one called JVCCAM_MEM, the other Removable Disk (G). The first one navigates to ACCHD, DCIM (empty) EXTIMOV and PRIVATE. The other navigates directly to PRIVATE (which has AVCH folder and two DAT files.

I have searched all the folders for .mts files, none there.

Is there a way I can post these folders straight from the camcorder?

Is this camera not compatible with this software.

WOOHOO, found the culprit hidden in a folder, within a folder, within a folder, within a folder....I had to stand on my head, rub my tummy and poke my ear, and there it was. Mystery solved. Thanks James, your a hero!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 27. 2013 17:36

James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I have the Jvc HM640BU camcorder which may store files a little differently not sure. But I am glad you found where they reside in camera. Happy editing with the new find.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
My Canon Vixia HF R100 HD camera SD card has this folder structure:

I: is the drive designation of the card reader in my computer, your mileage may vary.
I:\PRIVATE\AVCHD\BDMV\STREAM

The STREAM Folder contains *.MTS Videos.

As far as I know this is the same structure as a BluRay Video disk.
It is also the structure of most HD video camera's Memory card.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.