Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Encounter improper argument....
Scott61 [Avatar]
Member Location: Wichita, KS Joined: Aug 20, 2011 04:43 Messages: 126 Offline
[Post New]
I am having a more persistent problem while creating a title page. The "Encountered an improper argument" keeps coming up.
I have tried restarting the whole program. I have installed all updates. Does anyone have an idea how to resolve this short of reinstalling the software?

Here is a screenshot:
[Thumb - Improper Argument in cyberlink.PNG]
 Filename
Improper Argument in cyberlink.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
screen shot
 Filesize
94 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
182 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 24. 2013 16:03

Scott Wright
Wichita, KS
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Improper argument usually means that the program is not passing information correctly internally, or the user has entered information that the programmers did not anticipate and the program doesn't know what to do with it. Unfortunately that error message is not very helpful.

Does it happen on all titles? If you add just a few words, do you still get the error? What Type of title are you trying to use? __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Scott61 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the response.

I am just using a blank title screen with roll motion going from bottom to top. Every few words I am getting the message. Sometimes my work will save and sometimes it won't.

If I save the project and then R&R PD11, will the problem stay in the project or will that fix the issue?

I am a basic user and really don't do anything to fancy.

Scott Scott Wright
Wichita, KS
[Post New]
Quote: I am having a more persistent problem while creating a title page. The "Encountered an improper argument" keeps coming up.
I have tried restarting the whole program. I have installed all updates. Does anyone have an idea how to resolve this short of reinstalling the software?

Here is a screenshot:

Happens to me often, text Scrool Up, usually when reuse a project to create another.
Here I outline the text block to reach the button Save and works without problems, see image

[Thumb - Improper Argument 2.jpg]
 Filename
Improper Argument 2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
174 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
157 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 25. 2013 09:43

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
Scott61 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the response Playsound, but I am a little dense. I see your outline of the text button and the save button, but I guess I am not understanding just what you are getting at.

This is a project that has been modified for a client numerous times over the last two years! He keeps paying to make changes, then he and his wife realize they don't like the change and ask for something different. But I guess I will just keep taking the money.

Please try to explain your recommendation in a little more simple way.

Thank you,
Scott Scott Wright
Wichita, KS
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks for the response Playsound, but I am a little dense. I see your outline of the text button and the save button, but I guess I am not understanding just what you are getting at.

This is a project that has been modified for a client numerous times over the last two years! He keeps paying to make changes, then he and his wife realize they don't like the change and ask for something different. But I guess I will just keep taking the money.

Please try to explain your recommendation in a little more simple way.

Thank you,
Scott

What I showed, after entering text, goes straight to the Save button, the error message appears if you leave the side contonar out to the Save button, we do not have the error message.

Here I avoid this error this way.
The other option, add and create a new text

[Thumb - Improper Argument 2.jpg]
 Filename
Improper Argument 2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
164 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
826 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 25. 2013 09:54

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
Scott61 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you. I will give that a try. Scott Wright
Wichita, KS
Jacob [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 11, 2016 23:07 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I am trying to change some settings in preferences, but whenever I click on preferences, I constantly get this message: "Encountered an improper argument"
Jacob [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 11, 2016 23:07 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I am trying to change some settings in preferences, but whenever I click on preferences, I constantly get this message: "Encountered an improper argument" I am using PowerDirector 12.
Scott61 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Jacob,
Do you have a project open while you are trying to change preferences? If so, I'd recommend that you save and close it.
I was having a similar problem a few years ago. But it occurred while trying to edit the project after opening it. I had recently moved it from one computer to another.
If I remember correctly, the only way I could prevent this error from happening was to open a previously saved copy of the project. It hadn't had some of the recent editing done to it, but it seems there was something that became corrupted in the project.
As I said, this was a few years ago and I can't remember all the things that happened in this regard.
Not sure if you can see the string of all the recommended steps that others gave me. But if you can, especially after my response to you, that you follow them and see if it resolves your issue. Good luck.
Scott Scott Wright
Wichita, KS
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, all!

I've struck this "Encounter Improper Argument"(when is there a Proper argument? ha-ha) in PD14 when applying transitions. I have a standard length of transition, 5 seconds. If I'm editing something and a split is required(due do a scene change, or a change in camera position, or whichever reason), a transition is inserted at that split, but if another split is required inside four seconds of the previous, then the previously-inserted transition is removed and that 4 seconds of video is deleted. However, if the next split is 6 seconds away, I apply a transition at that second split, set it to cross(rather than overlap), then go back and insert the transition at the split 6 seconds earlier, this way I can avoid that "Improper Argument" and its accompanying "bonk" sound.

Cheers!

Neil.
ArcticPandaPopz [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 24, 2017 08:48 Messages: 54 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same issues on tranisitons and changing their length. It's driving me up the wall