Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Slow editing preview
BMG7754 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 13, 2013 18:03 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Hello I am new here and also new to PD11. I am running into a problem when I am editing video. After I adjust colors the editing preview becomes very choppy. Even if I take the quality preview down, it freezes then catches up with the sound and video out of sync. I know they are fine, but the preview makes everything slow and choppy. Is there anyway I can fix this? My RAM is fine. I am 1.3/7.9 16%. I only have PD open.

Thanks
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hello I am new here and also new to PD11. I am running into a problem when I am editing video. After I adjust colors the editing preview becomes very choppy. Even if I take the quality preview down, it freezes then catches up with the sound and video out of sync. I know they are fine, but the preview makes everything slow and choppy. Is there anyway I can fix this? My RAM is fine. I am 1.3/7.9 16%. I only have PD open.

Thanks

Lower the resolution of the Preview helps.

Update your Video Card Driver may fix the problem.

Part B
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/24771.page

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 22. 2013 10:40

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

BMG7754 [Avatar]
[Post New]
is Part B how to update my video card? I am alittle confused by it...
BMG7754 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Is this what you need?
 Filename
bmg7754DxDiag.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
11 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
249 time(s)
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: is Part B how to update my video card?

It appears that your PC uses Intel graphics. Go here and see if a driver update is available...
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/graphics

If, after installing, problems arise ... roll back via Control Panel|DEVICE MANAGER|DISPLAY ADAPTERS|<your adapter>|DRIVER tab.
BMG7754 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: is Part B how to update my video card?

It appears that your PC uses Intel graphics. Go here and see if a driver update is available...
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/graphics

If, after installing, problems arise ... roll back via Control Panel|DEVICE MANAGER|DISPLAY ADAPTERS|<your adapter>|DRIVER tab.

Product Detected Intel® HD Graphics 2500 or Intel® HD Graphics
Current Driver Installed 9.17.10.2867
A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer.

that's what it told me
borgus1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Product Detected Intel® HD Graphics 2500 or Intel® HD Graphics
A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer.

That being the case, it might be worthwhile to check the PC manufacturer's WEB site, to see what it recommends. Dell, Gateway, HP, Lenovo, etc. ?? Search for "display (or graphic) driver."
BMG7754 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:

That being the case, it might be worthwhile to check the PC manufacturer's WEB site, to see what it recommends. Dell, Gateway, HP, Lenovo, etc. ?? Search for "display (or graphic) driver."

How do I know which is best?
[Thumb - VGA drivers.png]
 Filename
VGA drivers.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
77 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
96 time(s)
borgus1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:

It appears that your driver is newer than any of those listed. Not that newest is always best, but it's probably wise to stick with what you have. And the list in your attachment may be generic Intel, even though it's from a PC manufacturer.

Others may chime in here with other/better advice.
BMG7754 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It appears that your driver is newer than any of those listed. Not that newest is always best, but it's probably wise to stick with what you have. And the list in your attachment may be generic Intel, even though it's from a PC manufacturer.

Others may chime in here with other/better advice.

Thanks for your help. I thought my video card was good.

Does anyone know ifi can upgrade to a new or different one?
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Is this the computer system you have?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407203,00.asp

If yes- you should be able to add a faster graphics card.
But the caveat is: just because you have a faster graphics card does not mean everything will be silky smooth. It will help overall, but the playback preview window is notorious for having slow, stutter and so on. Video editing is very CPU intensive.

Not trying to discourage you or anything- just giving you a heads up. Your mileage may vary.

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
BMG7754 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Is this the computer system you have?

But the caveat is: just because you have a faster graphics card does not mean everything will be silky smooth. It will help overall, but the playback preview window is notorious for having slow, stutter and so on. Video editing is very CPU intensive.

Not trying to discourage you or anything- just giving you a heads up. Your mileage may vary.

Rob

That's it. How does one upgrade a card? When I check for updates it says I have the current one. Can I get a better one somewhere?
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Is this the computer system you have?

Rob

That's it. How does one upgrade a card? When I check for updates it says I have the current one. Can I get a better one somewhere?

You go to a computer/electronic online or Brick and Mortar store and buy a new Video Card.
You need one that plugs into your computer, so you should have a Technician check your computer.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
If you want to try and do it yourself, here is a sample list of graphics cards you can add to your Desktop computer: http://www.newegg.com/Desktop-Graphics-Cards/SubCategory/ID-48

Familiarize yourself by first turning off your computer.
Unplug the power cord from the power supply and open the computer to have a look inside.
It's actually a neat process to do it yourself if you want to. (also saves you money.)

Better yet- get a friend, family member or neighbor who is tech savvy to do it for you and watch how they do it.

Once you plug in the new graphics card and turn on your computer, Windows will automatically find it and install some drivers for it. Then you just head on over to the manufacturer's website and download the latest driver for the card, install and you are golden.

For the money I would recommend either this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121686

Only one thing you should note: Make sure your Computer Monitor has an HDMI or DVI or Display Port connection ! before you upgrade your video card ... some newer graphics cards do not plug into the older VGA port. So double check your monitor input connections.

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
BMG7754 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you!
BMG7754 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Update: I updated my video card and power supply to my computer. Sadly, it didn't help. I had a good friend install everything, but it didn't seem to help.
cmorebutz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 18, 2013 09:50 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
this is my second time using cyberlink and like the first it just doesn't play back smooth. I have a Pavilion corei5 on windows 7. I shoot my footage with a rebel canon ti2. Ive only edit about 15 seconds worth of footage and I cant play back smoothly. Is this the best cyberlink has if so im going back to adobe, this is hurting my video business bad!! rob
Carl312
[Post New]
What is the Bit rate of the video made with your rebel canon ti2?

Powerdirector has problems with Bit rates above about 28 Mbps.

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Update: I updated my video card and power supply to my computer. Sadly, it didn't help. I had a good friend install everything, but it didn't seem to help.

In my experience that is exactly what you would expect. In OP, you stated slowness after adjusting colors, if you mean with the "Fix / Enhance" Color Adjustment feature that task is 100% CPU intensive during playback. The color adjustment is done by the CPU and software on the fly so the information passed to the GPU to rasterize in the preview window is essentially the same. Upgrading the GPU will do absolutely nothing to improve preview window performance for color enhancement, it's not the limiting or controlling component.

If you want an improvement without pre rendering, a CPU enhancement, not GPU would be needed. Attached is a pic showing CPU load increases 2x to 50% when a Color Adjustment is made vs no adjustment. The GPU load as shown is insignificant and not even a player. Your i5-3330 CPU @ 3.00GHz has about half the capability of the tested i7 platform which even struggles periodically in the preview window with a more complex timelines.

Jeff
[Thumb - CPU.png]
 Filename
CPU.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
579 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
112 time(s)