Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Best format to edit in
Vestel [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 12, 2013 20:30 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I have gopro files and i've been advised to use a conversion software, mpeg streamclip, to convert it. but i dont know what format will work BEST for powerDirector11.

The problem with gopro files is they crash the PowerDirector constantly and take too long to work with.

suggestions for the best format to use to edit?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Vestel -

I've only done limited editing with GoPro clips (no conversion) but there are many forum members who use GoPros and edit in PD. I've never heard any of them mention the need to convert before import.

What recording settings have you been using that cause slow processing & crashing? It's possibly the high video bitrate bringing you undone.

If you post your DxDiag as an attachment, it might give some clues about the cause of the issue.

If it is necessary to convert, it's best to stick with the MPEG-4 format.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 17. 2013 15:31

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
What setting are you using in your GoPro to record video?

I just bought a Hero3 black and so far everything I've tried has just imported straight into PD both video and stills (although I now batch crop and resize stills in Irfanview first). I haven't tried out any of the 4K and 2.5K stuff yet but I'm well impressed with the results I'm getting using 1920x1080(50p).

My understanding is that anything in raw (Protune) needs to be processed through GoProStudio first but that's a way down the line for me just yet.
SoCalDude
Member Location: Sunny Southern California Joined: Aug 12, 2013 20:48 Messages: 60 Offline
[Post New]
When shooting RAW with the GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition (Protune), you'll first process it with the GoPro Cineform Studio software to make any adjustments and tweaks.

At this point, I personally output in AVI format, since there will be further edits using PowerDirector.

The more times you edit and output, the more the video degrades if using a lossy format (e.g. MPG). AVI is considered lossless (technically, it is just a container), so more of the details are preserved.

Now, when you are done editing in PD and are ready to output (produce) the final video, MPG-4 is a very good choice, especially for internet sites.

So, if you are not shooting Protune and are capturing in MPG4, then you can take those files straight into PowerDirector.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Sep 17. 2013 20:39

---
- PowerDirector 13 Ultimate
- DJI Phantom 4 Drone
- GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition (two of these)
- Kodak Zx5 HD Waterproof Pocket Video Camera
- Canon PowerShot SD1300 (HD video & stills
- Canon EOS 40D DSLR w/lots of lenses--my favorite being a EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM