Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD11 vs. Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12 ...
SeaLyon99 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 26, 2013 09:16 Messages: 79 Offline
[Post New]
Why would someone choose PD11 over SMSP12? The main positive for PD11 appears to be support for 2K & 4K, which I don't believe SMSP12 has at this point. I work primarily in 1080p now, but having 2K & 4K abilities is certainly a plus. I'm sure there must be other reasons to consider PD11, so please share your ideas. But there certainly appears to be quite a bit of negatives about PD11 (some of which I've had to find out through my testing) and the UI for SMSP12 is very similar to Vegas, so the learning curve is going in the right direction. SMSP12 also supports the entire line of NewBlueFX products, like Stabilizer which PD11 doesn't currently support. Really interested in what PD11 users think.

Just as a note I can purchase Sony Imagination Studio 4 which includes SMSP12, ACID Music Studio, Sound Forge Audio Studio 10, DVD Architect Studio, Magic Bullet Quick Looks, NewBlueFX Titler & effects sampler, and 50 Sony production soundtracks for $52 from Amazon. Why would this be a mistake?

Appreciate any help.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
I suspect it's like asking "why a merc instead of a beemer?" or "why do I drive a 17 yr old Saab instead of my daughter's boyfriend's Camaro?"

My reasons will not be your reasons so.............

For the record, I use PD as my main NLE because I know it (over many versions), I also know it's drawbacks, it suits my purposes, I can't be arsed to learn another NLE (although I do use them occasionally) and lots of other minor reasons, like I can never imagine using the Magic Bullet Quick Looks urban grunge effect on my scuba videos, so for me it's a waste of space.

cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
SeaLyon99 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 26, 2013 09:16 Messages: 79 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for your reply and sorry you feel stuck to a particular application. I'm really hoping NOT to get myself into that position. I guess I'm lucky not to be tied to any specific application at this point. But trying to weed through all the available options is pretty daunting and that's why I'd really like to hear about the actual features of PD11 that make it stand apart. Any help is appreciated.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
The forum. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
The only forum I've been on where posts disappear with no explanation to the original poster. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I have been using PowerDirector since version 2.5 and I have never felt 'stuck'. I do not believe one equates to the other. It's just my choice. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
"Thanks for your reply and sorry you feel stuck to a particular application. I'm really hoping NOT to get myself into that position. "

Thank you for your sympathy but I think you miss the point. Every NLE has gone through many, many development phases sometimes minor , sometimes major. Major developments usually require a significant degree of re-adjustment of workflow or UI or media handling or whatever. Therefore, you will, over the years spend productive time "learning" multiple NLE interfaces and methods, their advantages and drawbacks. If you are of that nature, you will enjoy the time spent - as I indicated I can't be bothered.

One must also look at the purpose behind "being stuck". If something, after due experience and consideration, does just what I want and need, easily, comfortably and with little problem - why would I change it? Hence my 17 year old Saab.

Some folk always like to be at the cutting edge, but then their "hobby" or "interest" isn't actually video editing, it's really "having the latest", which, in my humble opinion is not, in many circumstances, the same as having the best.

PD, for me, does what I need on desktop rig here in the UK, on a laptop on a boat in Egypt or on an island in the Philippines. Of course, I am not saying what I want should be what you want - that is for you to choose.

As for "feeling stuck", I don't, although I do feel sorry that you seem crippled by indecision.

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
I suspect that someone is destined to know a little bit about a lot of things here!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
OK, I don't want to be too much of a killjoy for your thread SeaLyon99, please read the guide http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/24769.page
On this forum we ask and respond to questions related only to PowerDirector. This is not the place to discuss, compare, test, report, comment either unfavourably or favourably on another company's products.

Forum Moderator

Adrian's Saab is good to ride in... baler twine, included. Thank you, very much appreciated.

Dafydd

Edit: Added an "o"

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 28. 2013 04:44

[Post New]
I have several different editors, plugins etc... just go for what you like. And I don't think it hurts to have more than one editor aside from the cost and time to learn. They all have different features and advantages etc.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 28. 2013 07:08

JohnAlfa [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 17, 2012 08:19 Messages: 59 Offline
[Post New]
Go here and compare:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2374255,00.asp
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
If you read the PC Mag review of Powerdirector 11 you can get a good comparison.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372982,00.asp

Powerdirector 11 Deluxe is 32 bit, Ultra and Ultimate are 64 bit programs.
The best version is Ultimate.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

JohnAlfa [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 17, 2012 08:19 Messages: 59 Offline
[Post New]
Powerdirector 11 Deluxe is 32 bit, Ultra and Ultimate are 64 bit programs.

Carl,

I have PD Ulitimate 32 bit running on Vista.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Powerdirector 11 Deluxe is 32 bit, Ultra and Ultimate are 64 bit programs.

Carl,

I have PD Ulitimate 32 bit running on Vista.

You must have the 32 bit version of Vista.

PD Ultimate is both 32 bit and 64 bit, it installs 32 bit on 32 bit OS and 64 bit on 64 bit OS.

I have PD 11 Ultimate on Windows 7 64 bit, so my install is 64 bit.
Even if you have a 64 bit OS, the Deluxe version is still 32 bit install.

[Thumb - PowerDirector 11  About.jpg]
 Filename
PowerDirector 11 About.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
PD 11 About window
 Filesize
44 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1600 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Aug 28. 2013 13:18

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.