Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Film Festivals Using PowerDirector
XG-300 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 26, 2013 14:27 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Just Curious,

Anyone here ever use PowerDirector 9,10, or 11 (any version) to edit their films, and then enter into film festivals ?

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Not "festivals" exactly, but certainly won a few awards, see my site. Not all my wins come from CL.
I've used PD for videos shown on local TV, as well as FOX on a national broadcast.
Even got a slot for Project Greenlight.

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Just Curious,

Anyone here ever use PowerDirector 9,10, or 11 (any version) to edit their films, and then enter into film festivals ?

If your concerns are from a legal nature as referenced by the terms of the user agreement license "for personal use only":

If you are simply creating a movie using your own footage and NOT utilizing the Power Director provided included "stuff", then there should be no problem using PD to create a movie that could be submitted. If you use your own footage and use the basic fade transition and normal scene cuts then there should be nothing to distinguish WHAT editing software you used to create your submission.

Most "movies" don't use flying candy cane and floating balloon particle effects as provided by Cyberlink. A quality film would be composed with your own footage to make a movie of your choosing. Just don't use all the included "stuff" that really won't make a quality production. Make sense? Use PD to assemble and render your footage into a final production. There would be no way of telling how you produced it unless you use specific elements provided with the Cyberlink PD package.

Think of any academy award winning film and none of them have these types of elements. These films use footage assembled in a way that creates a quality story.

I am not aware that if you created a movie using simple fades and cuts between video clips you would be able to prove what software created it.

Just my opinion. And I provide no legal reference to support my opinion. But really......just avoid using any Cyberlink provided templates, objects, DVD menus, etc. you should have more than enough tools to accplish making a quality and "editor generic" movie.

Kevin

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 20. 2013 03:30

Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
If the legal question of submitting an entry in a Film Festival is your concern using PowerDirector:

Another currently active topic may also be of interest to you. I took the liberty of pasting the link here. If it isn't your question or concern and I am off target to the question you had, then no need to look at this topic. Just trying to help.

Cranston's response shed some light on the subject that might be of interest to you....or not.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/29509.page

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 20. 2013 13:21

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.