Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Adjusting Track Audio
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I just installed the AudioDirector trial and started a 5.1 project. I pasted a clip in track 1 and 2 (left and right) and another in back right. I click on the 'Mix' button and adjust the volume of individual tracks, but they do not change. I have gone all the way to 0% and even clicked on mute track, but I still hear the track playing. There is a note that says 'Adjust track volume using volume keys', but I don't even know what that means. How do I adjust tracks to different levels?

James __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
[Post New]
Hello James,

Welcome to the ADR forum

Did you import the audio as a single file or as separate channels? I imagine it is a single file.

In the Edit module, under the Volume tab (bottom), the volume keys control the master volume. They work in the same way as the "rubber band" keys in PD.

In the Mix example below, L, R, C & LFE tracks have all been reduced to 0%. All I can hear is the back two channels (BL & BR)

Could you please post a screenshot showing the pasted tracks in the Mix module?

Are you wishing to change the level of particular tracks? Perhaps I've misunderstood your intention.

PIX
[Thumb - ADR_Mix Volume.jpg]
 Filename
ADR_Mix Volume.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
144 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
579 time(s)
[Thumb - ADR_Volume Keys.jpg]
 Filename
ADR_Volume Keys.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
204 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
602 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 19. 2013 02:34

PIX YouTube channel
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I imported the audio as files. One as stereo that went into the left and right tracks. One that went into the back right track to become mono and an edited clip in back left. The front speakers are too loud and I am trying to reduce the volume of just those two speakers. One thing I notice is that the mix module only shows three tracks, even though the project is 5.1, and it also shows no wave form.

EDIT: I just found the button to add tracks in mix, and I figured out how to add clips in the mix room, but the edit room and mix room seem to be acting completely independent of each other. I just assumed when I added a track it would be the same in both places. Looking at the help file, but it is really no help here.
[Thumb - edit.jpg]
 Filename
edit.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Edit screen
 Filesize
199 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
199 time(s)
[Thumb - mix.jpg]
 Filename
mix.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Mix screen
 Filesize
62 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
185 time(s)
[Post New]
After further reading, apparently I misunderstand the purpose of the mixing room, so I am back to my original question...how do I lower the volume of one single track. Even when I select to edit one track, it still applies to the entire project. I know it can't really be this difficult. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
[Post New]
James,

Thank you for posting the screenshots. That helps a lot.

At first I though you were trying to edit a piece of audio that was already in 5.1 format.

What you're trying to do does need to be done in the Mix module. In the Edit module you can only control the master volume and the balance/pan between left & right.

I'm assuming you'd want to keep your left & right channels separate (in the stereo import). That would require an extra step. Also, is your intention to leave the C & LFE channels empty?

Basically, if you set up the Mix module exactly as your "edit" image shows
Track 1 - Stereo import (adjust volume to suit)
Track 5 - audio clip
Track 6 - audio clip
then export as 5.1, you'll get something like what you want.
- something odd happens when you do that, but I won't complicate the question further.

If you want to keep FL & FR as separate channels, you need to import each channel separately, as shown in the example I posted before.

PIX
[Thumb - ADR_Mix2.jpg]
 Filename
ADR_Mix2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
99 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
548 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 19. 2013 04:28

PIX YouTube channel
James Dotson
[Post New]
Ok, thanks. I think I am starting to get it. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Creating your own 5.1 surround audio. Cool.
I usually edit native 5.1 from my camcorder- never thought of actually creating a 5.1 from scratch.

Let us know how it works out.
Should be able to get some neat sound effects from this now that I think about it.

R
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be