Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Problem with .AVI files
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Hi gang

I just returned from a 12-day driving trip with a Cowon AC1 HD camcorder mounted on the dash, and I'm planning to make a time-lapse video of the 5600 mile journey. During the trip, I downloaded all the .avi files from the device each day and saved them on an external hard drive, and I had no trouble viewing them using the VLC player, although the native media player app on my Surface Pro couldn't play them.

Unfortunately, when I got home I found that PD11 also cannot open the files - either with or without the K-Lite v9.95 MEGA codec pack installed. If I try to import a clip, the preview window remains blank when I select the file, and I get the following message when I try to open it: An error occurred while opening this media file in the media library. It may be because the file is broken, an unsupported format, protected video content, or for another reason. Try contacting your video provider for a different video format.

I have successfully converted a test clip to a useable .AVI format using Format Factory, but I shudder to think of converting 4,550 individual clips totaling over 154GB. I have attached a very short sample clip, and I would greatly appreciate any feedback or suggestions for getting these clips into PowerDirector directly.

Thanks!

My specs: Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz CPU, 16GB RAM, EVGA/nVIDIA GTX 550Ti card w/326.19 driver (7/18/2013), ASUS P8 Z77-M MainBoard, 64GB SSD C: drive, 6TB on 3 HDDs; PD v11.0.0.3026; Win7 SP1 Home Premium
 Filename
130802_152424_I1.avi
[Disk]
 Description
2-second clip of problematic .avi format
 Filesize
1396 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
450 time(s)

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi optodata -

Whoa! That's a doozy!

I got the same thing. Preview in PD is black & the thumbnail (media library) is green. Audio is OK.

I tried to import it into an A***e NLE and it couldn't even "see" your video when I navigated right to its file location.

Worse - when I tried to open it in MediaInfo, it told me I "must at least open one file" - so it didn't even recognise it. GSpot at least told me that it's AVIv1.0 & that might give a clue as to why it's not recognised by PD & PE. PP has the same issue.

These might point to something -
http://www.myvideoproblems.com/Tutorials/dv-aviFiles.htm
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/666083

It plays fine in VLC & MPC-HC, but that doesn't help much, does it?

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the links, Tony. One of the common themes in the discussions there was that short of changing NLEs, sometimes you'll just have to convert files. Maybe I needed to see that to accept that I might have to do that now.

I loaded up all the files in Format Factory, and after testing a couple of the converted files, let it start on the massive conversion task. At this point, it looks like it'll take about 27 hours and I'll need to make sure that my PC doesn't sleep until the job is done. I'm using separate source and destination HDDs and I just set the program's priority to High, so now I'll just have to wait.

If anyone comes up with another idea, I'll be eager to try it ;

-Ron

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Ron -

I can't see another way around it for now.

For the future, is there perhaps a setting on your camera that can change the output format?

Go and have a nice walk while FF is doing the job.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
optodata
[Post New]
The format is set by the firmware of the dash camcorder, and there's no way to adjust it as an end-user. Possibly the mfr will release an update that will improve the video's compatibility, but otherwise it looks like I'll be stuck converting anytime I want to use some driving clips.

Fortunately, I'm not planning on recording/editing 100+ driving hours any time again!

I'll post a link to the finished video once I have a chance to work with the raw clips. Thanks again for your help

-Ron

YouTube/optodata

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Interestingly, on my laptop the media library thumbnail is green, but the clip plays fine in the preview. When dragged to the time line it displays green on the timeline and sometimes green and sometimes black in the preview but audio is OK.

PD tends to crash trying to handle the timeline clip.

As far as I can see it is a 1280x720 h264 AVC1 in an avi container, @3.42 Mbs, 20.43fps interlaced (but I also have another analysis that says progressive)

Sorry can't find a way to get PD to handle it.

Cheers
Adrian
[Thumb - Capture.PNG]
 Filename
Capture.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
349 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
98 time(s)
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
optodata
[Post New]
Thanks for trying. My batch conversion has now been going for 2 and a half hours with 400 clips converted, so hopefully I'll be able to start on this project a day from now when the remaining 4150 are ready...

YouTube/optodata