Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Intel Core i7-3930K Hexa-Core Processor
Amy113071 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 05, 2010 18:41 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
I'm wanting to build a new computer. I have a 4 core cpu now and wanting to upgrade to a 6 core. My question is will PD utilize all 6 cores? I looked all over the website and couldn't find any answer. Thanks!
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I'm wanting to build a new computer. I have a 4 core cpu now and wanting to upgrade to a 6 core. My question is will PD utilize all 6 cores? I looked all over the website and couldn't find any answer. Thanks!

Powerdirector will use all cores if your OS supports Multi-core CPU.

Powerdirector will also use all the resources of your GPU if you have a Video card that has multiple Stream processors.

In both cases, your Software must support the features.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Amy -

Here's a screen capture that shows what the cores of the 3930K are doing when you're using PD. It illustrates what Carl has said above.

http://youtu.be/DxTGVn36qWs

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: I'm wanting to build a new computer. I have a 4 core cpu now and wanting to upgrade to a 6 core. My question is will PD utilize all 6 cores? I looked all over the website and couldn't find any answer. Thanks!

Powerdirector will use all cores if your OS supports Multi-core CPU.
Powerdirector will also use all the resources of your GPU if you have a Video card that has multiple Stream processors.
In both cases, your Software must support the features.

Hi Amy113071,
The Central Processing Unit (CPU) and the Graphic Card (GPU) as Carl has mentioned are important to read up on as are the other areas, the motherboard, storage drives you select, SSD and/or HDD. These latter two play a crucial role in editing. Today's SSD's (Solid State Drives) are larger and faster than previously available. Some of the larger Hard Disk Drives have reported/caused problems (2+TB size). Even 1TB HDD are sluggish compared to the SSD. If you're editing HD (High Definition) you may want to ask members about your GPU selection and your hard drive.

For more information on drives and cards there are a number of websites listing data on all of them. Watch how much you spend, buy the top of the range can prove costly and problematic to!

Example:
http://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/ssd.html
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

Disclaimer: The above links are for information and given as an example. I am not connected to any of the websites or data provided.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 08. 2013 05:23

acg [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jan 04, 2011 20:47 Messages: 275 Offline
[Post New]
hello,

I am looking at building a video computer from the video guys specifications. In talking with them they indicated PD does not support multiple processors. Can't find any contradiction to this on the web.

Alan Gelhar
adgelhar@earthlink.net

Any help would be appreciated.
acg [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jan 04, 2011 20:47 Messages: 275 Offline
[Post New]
Who would you be looking at for a hex processor? Video guys says Haswell does not make one yet.

Alan
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi acg,
This thread's OP never responded back in August 2013. As you're looking for or to make a PC yourself. Please start your own new topic.

Thread closed.

Forum Moderator