Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Produced impossibly huge AVI file of 54 gigs!
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
I wanted to try fixing up an AVI file a friend gave me of an old TV show. It's a 50 minute video, and the AVI file is a modest 330 MB in size. Unfortunately, the picture and soundtrack are slightly out of sync. In PD11 I unlinked the video and audio, sped the vid up by 0:15 seconds, and that fixed up the sync.

Then I produced the results to a new AVI. The resulting file--- 54 GIGS!!!! --- What is That all about? Obviously quite a glitch, but have no idea what caused it.

So I tried producing to an MP4 and that came out at 2.2 gig, reasonably sized, but it doesn't look as good as the original, and is still larger than it needs to be.

Is there a program or utility where I can do an edit like I've described directly on a video file without having to re-render it?

rbowser
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Did you try WMV?
What is the nature of your original file? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Did you try WMV?
What is the nature of your original file?

Hi, Barry, thanks for the reply. Hmmm, WMV might work, I don't need to burn this to disc, but I want it in my Roku lineup to stream to the TV - I'm not sure if WMVs work for that. I've used just MP4s and AVIs for Roku. I'll look into it.

This original file is just a small little AVI - 320 X 240, 330 MB in size. Modest bit settings and all that. It streams and plays on Roku, but the sound is out of sync just slightly, as I mentioned. This fix I did in PD11 worked great, now to save the results in a file that isn't so much larger than the original.

That 54 gig AVI though--isn't that something else?? I've never seen such a thing.

I Do wish I could fix this sync problem directly with the AVI file itself without having to render a new copy.

rbowser
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
That is such a tiny-size video, I'm not sure what the Roku will play, but I'm surprised it looks good under any circumstances. Investigate the useable formats and try to re-create all the aspects of the original video except the AVI. What about Divx? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: That is such a tiny-size video, I'm not sure what the Roku will play, but I'm surprised it looks good under any circumstances. Investigate the useable formats and try to re-create all the aspects of the original video except the AVI. What about Divx?

Yeah, tiny! But it looks fine on our old square TV - as good as most stuff. hehe. Since posting, I see Roku doesn't support WMV on its own, but I use the Plex server to stream things from my hard drive, and Plex can do the WMV so it plays on Roku.

--What about Divx? You mean that Thing that I keep meaning to uninstall? I guess I don't get the concept of Divx.

rbowser
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Your original AVI is most likely an MP4 in an AVI container. Used to be common for web video, but rarely done any more. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Your original AVI is most likely an MP4 in an AVI container. Used to be common for web video, but rarely done any more.

Thanks for the reply, Jaime - Something's certainly screwy with it, since it's impossible to do the edit and save as an AVI again without that freakishly large result.

Now that I have my profiles working again (another thread-at first I couldn't get profiles to work with PD11) I'm happy with tests I'm doing:

--WMV produced a file 445 MBs not looking too much worse than the original.
--MPEG produced a file 756 MBS which is almost OK
--but a new MP4 profile with the dimensions and bitrates set the same as the original has produced a file that's 352 MBs, almost the same size as the original, and pretty much the same quality. I'm cooking now. I can use this for other episodes my friend is sending me, fixing the audio sync problem, and ending up with copies that look the same as the original and don't take up more room.

rbowser