Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Go Pro question
Alpine310 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Australia Joined: Feb 02, 2013 05:52 Messages: 43 Offline
[Post New]
I have a Go Pro Hero 3 Black. I normally record at 1080-50Frames. I go with 50Frames as I think that is better than 25 if I want to do any editing into slow motion. I live in Australia so TV is Pal 25Frames.

When I edit in PD 11, am I best setting the frame rate at Pal 50 or Pal 25? Also can you please explain what difference it will make if I don't match them. If I know before recording that I will not be doing any slow motion am I better setting the camera at 25Frames?

I watch the finished product on both a HD Television and a PC screen as well as uploading some to You Tube.

I would love to hear from people with a Go Pro and PD 11 to hear what they find works best.

Thank you in advance.
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I normally do not worry about that setting and see excellent results with my GoPro. I produce to custom profiles that match the original clip. You probably are best to set PD at the frame rate of the clip. From what I understand, having a different frame rate may cause the video to loose frames. With that said, I often produce to lower quality than the original clip, so I am giving up frames anyways.

I primarily use higher frame rate for slow motion. Using a lower frame rate will allow you to save longer clips on the camera. My best suggestion is to try several short clips and see which one looks best on your television. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Alpine310 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Australia Joined: Feb 02, 2013 05:52 Messages: 43 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the quick reply Jaime.

What profile to produce at was going to be my next question. I normally use Mpeg-4 1920x180/25p (13Mbps)

I notice you said you use custom profiles, does that mean Mpeg-4 1920x180/25p (13Mbps) is not as good.

Can you tell me what profile you set yours at please?

Thanks.
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
With my eyesight and a 23" monitor I can not really see a major difference in a standard profile that closely matches, but I clicked on the Intellegent SVRT button and it recommended a custom profile. I saved that as GoPro 1080p, or something to recognize it as my GoPro profile. The main advantage is that SVRT works and you are not encoding it an extra time. That is usually faster and improves quality.
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
Camcorderinfo had a nice review some time ago.

Eugene 73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A