Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Jerky transitions
mikey105 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Oregon Joined: Nov 23, 2009 19:25 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
I have PD 11 - 11.0.0.2812 I have 98 photos on the timeline, each one has a transition to the next photo. Interspersed on the same time line are 10 titles. The whole video length is 15 minutes. It is a memorial tribute to a friend who has passed this last week and I volunteered to put this together for his memorial service next week. What should have been a simple task has become baffling.

I produced the video 16:9 and viewed it. Great! I started PD11 put the produced video on the timeline, went to create disc, MPEG2, choices are built in, chose 16:9, hit burn. Played the DVD in the computer.. Great again! Took it to the DVD player, watched the opening title jerk onto the screen. The fade to the photo showed the photo in stages so that it appeared to blink once before it was fully focused and presented. Same for the rest of the 15 minutes. Like watching a neon sign that is going out - blink..blink..blink. It never pix-elated, no lines just poor quality that snaps into full focus and then repeats with the next photo.

Brought the original project file to the timeline, changed my 30fps to 60fps NTSC, went direct to burn disc, tried again - same result. "Coffeepd" posted 6/29 a similar issue and there is one earlier post. Suggestion there were use some other software to burn the disc, so are we saying PD11 can't produce a DVD?

I need to get this job done - a family depends on me having what I should be able to deliver rather simply...

Mike
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Try lowering the burn speed.
Try un-checking any hardware acceleration, look in Preferences.
If that does not help...
...make your DVD, but do NOT burn to a disk, burn to a folder (it's in the disc burning UI). The folder you burn will have all the bits and pieces for an actual DVD, but it's not on a disc!
Then burn that folder in a disc burning software such as Power2Go, or free IMGBurn, or any similar utility.
Please get back to us so we can assist.
Sorry about your friend.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 01. 2013 21:02

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
mikey105 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the ideas Barry. I made a folder, used Power To Go to burn the DVD. First one at 16x - same problem. Burned another at 8x with same problem.

Hardware acceleration is un-checked, encoding on that menu is checked.

The photo's were all scanned at 800 dpi. I am wondering now if PD11 can't deal with that high a resolution on the photos? I would think when we burn as a MPEG2 that it would delete "surplus" pixels as to conform with whatever codec rules relate to encoding ...

Any more thoughts Barry?

Mike
mikey105 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Also - the photo files (JPG) are ranging between 2 - 9 MB. It does slow the computer a bit when using FIX to sharpen and adjust colors but I have had no problem with the program otherwise.

Mike
mikey105 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I reduced some photo's to 640 x 480 pixels, made a few FIX adjustments (sharpness, hue and exposure), put in some transitions, hooked up a brand new LG disc burner, ran it at 8x, same results.

So: It is not the size of the photo files, it is not my internal disc burner. The DVD's play just fine on the computer - but not on any DVD player and I have tried 2 different ones to eliminate the possibility that the player is defective.

Mike in Portland
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Mike,

Sorry to hear about your friend. This is a frustration that you don't need right now.
Hopefully others can chime in.

I don't have a solution for you but a suggestion- can you hook up a laptop to the screen at the memorial service and just use your media player to play the file? Just in case you don't get this issue resolved in time.

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: burn as a MPEG2 that it would delete "surplus" pixels as to conform with whatever codec rules relate to encoding ...

You are absolutely right on that.
OK, try this...
Render your project to Mpeg2 SD, then burn a DVD from that file. In fact, leave out a menu, too, just render the file, and burn to DVD.
Remember to lower the burn speed on that, too.
One other thing...
What is the brand name and type of DVD?
You have tried the discs on different players, using 2 different CL programs. Do you have Nero or other burning software installed? A conflict may occur.
I am zeroing in on the DVD brand, but I wish others would chime in as you are having issues.
As another method...
If your funeral arrangements are using a DVD or Blu Ray player, it is possible you could make the file, even in HD, and play it from a USB on the player.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 02. 2013 19:13

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Also - the photo files (JPG) are ranging between 2 - 9 MB. It does slow the computer a bit when using FIX to sharpen and adjust colors but I have had no problem with the program otherwise.

Mike

Just to get an idea of your computer environment attach the Dxdiag.txt file generated by Part B

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/24771.page
I want to see if your computer has enough power to handle HD files.

Also please attach the Text version of MediaInfo of one of your 800 DPI scanned photos.

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

If your computer has trouble creating the Disk or Disk Folder, you get strange results on DVD players.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

mikey105 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Barry, Carl and RobAC... short range, we have a work around at the church - they will play the DVD from a desk top PC so we are good for this memorial service.

Barry - I will try the latest suggestions tomorrow morning and update with a post. The DVD brand is Memorex DVD-R, 16x 4.7GB, 120 min... pretty standard and I have successfully used a lot of these with PD9.

Carl - data in another post shortly. Sorry I didn't compress the dxdiag.txt file it really is quite short anyway. Part B suggests also forwarding you a 64dxdiag. Not sure why, but my search for that and different iterations of the same file name came up empty. I know this is a 64 bit machine - so ????

Thanks for staying with me everyone. You are all appreciated sooo much as we jointly stumble along the path to discovery!

Mike
mikey105 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Carl - here are the files

Mike
 Filename
media info file.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
556 bytes
 Downloaded:
284 time(s)
 Filename
mikey105 DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
28 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
301 time(s)
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
mikey105 ,

1. Are you able to burn to a folder with HQ DVD selected (I am assuming that you are burning a SD (std def DVD, not HD) ?
2. If yes, then if you open the video stream in the BDMV folder does the file play back OK on your PC ?
3. If yes, then use an app like ImdBurn which enables you to VERIFY the file that you are burning to DISC in case you have dud DVD discs (rare now days).
4. Did the ImgBurn go OK ? Then try playing the DVD on the DVD player. Win 10, i7
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Carl - here are the files

Mike

Thank you for the files.

Your JPG files should not be a problem for PD 11. I use JPGs from my 10 MP camera all the time with no problem (3648x2736).

However your computer can use more RAM you have 4 GB on a 64 bit OS. You would benefit if you added 4 GB or more.
Your Intel HD graphics driver is old and should be updated, your driver date 8/25/2010, the current driver on the Intel site is dated 3/22/2013.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

mikey105 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi everyone. Still working on this problem.

Barry: I rendered the project to a file as a 720 x 480 MPEG2 which is as near as I could get to what you asked for "MPEG2 SD" This produced a file with the extension of .MPG
Power2Go is looking for VRO and similiar type files in the "browse" area and could not / would not take .MPG so I could not burn a disc. Same for Nero which I have also. You suggested not having a menu at the start so I did not try to put it on the timeline for a PD11 burn, but exasperated, tried that anyway. The box that popped up on the edit screen in PD11 says "The frame rate of the file you imported (29.97FPS) does not match with current project frame rate setting of (59.94FPS) so the quality may be downgraded. It is highly recommended that you use only video clips with the same frame rate in a project."

I could reset the preference down to 30FPS but not sure that burning via PD11 would be the next logical step (?)

Carl: I got the HD graphics driver updated. Extra RAM is next but I don't have enough time before this project has to complete.

While we have hopefully a good workaround at the church (will test that next week live), The family would like to have copies of the project to play and that will be most likely on DVD and home TV equipment. So this battle isn't over yet as that piece is not fixed.

HDedit - 1. = yes NOT HD
2. I am probably not technically competent to figure out where to find "the video stream in the BDMV folder" All the various iterations I have made play on a computer just fine. They DO NOT play well on DVD players connected to a TV set.
3. My last DVD burn was via Power2Go which also has a verify step which it completed successfully - yet that DVD was no better than any of the others.

Thanks to all of you for sticking with me. As my avatar says "Newbie" that is pretty much where I am with this. Gotta say though... PD9 was like perfect compared to this bumpy road...

Mike
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have PD 11 - 11.0.0.2812 I have 98 photos on the timeline, each one has a transition to the next photo. Interspersed on the same time line are 10 titles. The whole video length is 15 minutes. It is a memorial tribute to a friend who has passed this last week and I volunteered to put this together for his memorial service next week. What should have been a simple task has become baffling.

I produced the video 16:9 and viewed it. Great! I started PD11 put the produced video on the timeline, went to create disc, MPEG2, choices are built in, chose 16:9, hit burn. Played the DVD in the computer.. Great again! Took it to the DVD player, watched the opening title jerk onto the screen. The fade to the photo showed the photo in stages so that it appeared to blink once before it was fully focused and presented. Same for the rest of the 15 minutes. Like watching a neon sign that is going out - blink..blink..blink. It never pix-elated, no lines just poor quality that snaps into full focus and then repeats with the next photo.

Brought the original project file to the timeline, changed my 30fps to 60fps NTSC, went direct to burn disc, tried again - same result. "Coffeepd" posted 6/29 a similar issue and there is one earlier post. Suggestion there were use some other software to burn the disc, so are we saying PD11 can't produce a DVD?

I need to get this job done - a family depends on me having what I should be able to deliver rather simply...

Mike

Hi Mike,

So you burned you project to a folder using Power Director. Did you try burning that folder to a DVD using Imgburn? HDedit asked that question too. Personally, I think that the DVD burning portion of Power Director "may" not work for everyone successfully. I recently burned 50 DVD's in a row from a PD burned folder with ImgBurn. Power 2 Go will more than likely have the same problem as Power Director because it more than likely uses the same authorizing engine.

Increasing your RAM really won't make a difference other than speed when burning your project to a disc in my opinion. So I personally wouldn't worry about adding RAM to " fix" your burning problem...just my personal opinion. I have burned many projects with much less RAM than you and it just takes longer, and doesn't cause the problems you are describing.
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
mikey105 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Cap. Kevin - I'm HONORED sir, to have your help!

I downloaded ImgBurn. The RAM issue will have to wait awhile anyway - but I do appreciate your thoughts on that too.

In your message above, I note that you did "50 DVD's in a row from a PD burned folder..." When I burned my project to a file, it is a MPG file in the "Produce" folder. Should it be in a separate folder, with just that file?

On the main menu of ImgBurn I chose "Write image to disc." I am not seeing anything descriptive about DVD with this software, so maybe I should have chose "Write files / folders to disc." ???

Anyway, since the browse button would not bring up the unsupported MPG file, I selected "all files", clicked on my MPG file and allowed the software to use the automatic writing speed to burn a DVD. The speed varied between 4x and 9.5x as it burned which fit within the realm of slow speeds.

Took the ImgBurn ed DVD-R to the DVD player and DVD player said it was an "unrecognized" format.

I know I did something wrong . . but what ??

Mike
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
From ImageBurn chose the Burn Folder option..then Image just writes the same file..to the DVD and will not (my opinion) be recognized as a Movie.
When Imgburn writes the Folder all the chapters are preserved and make sure you have DVD-movie selected.
Also you can rename the folder you burned to as a relative name for the Movie.
You are burning to a folder from the "Create Disc" module right?
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Mikey wrote:
In your message above, I note that you did "50 DVD's in a row from a PD burned folder..." When I burned my project to a file, it is a MPG file in the "Produce" folder. Should it be in a separate folder, with just that file?

Not quite correct....but close. You created a mpg video file in a folder, but to create a DVD folder you have to do it differently. Maybe these steps will help. These are the simple steps. There are ways to change burn speed and verifying the disc, etc.

1. You should be in the editing area with your project complete.
2. Select the "Create Disc" tab
3. Select the 2D Disc tab.
4. Select the DVD icon at the top
5. Select the "Burn in 2D" button(lower right hand side of the application)
6. Uncheck the "burn to Disc" and check the "create a folder".
7. In the "folder directory" browse and define where you want this folder to be placed. Try your desktop for this example.
8. For me personally....uncheck the "enable hardware video encoder" at the bottom of the "Final Output" window.
9. Select "start Burning" and the folder is created.
10. You will end up with a folder on your desktop that has 2 folders within it. An AUDIO_TS folder and a VIDEO_TS folder.
11.open Imgburn and select the "write files/folders to disc"
12. Import the Main folder that contains those two other folders.
13. Burn the folder to the disc.

That should be it.

Edit:
I should point out that if I use Power Director to burn the disc, at least on my PC, I get a decent burn on the disc with the same basic quality as using ImgBurn. But everyone's PC is different and what works for one person doesn't always work for the next.

Hope this helps!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 04. 2013 06:15

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi People,
This isn't an ImgBurn support forum and if you have questions or instructions on the use of third party software please take the questions and instructions to the service that business provides.

CyberLink's disc burning software is Power2Go.

Thread locked.
Forum Moderator