Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
GPU Usage Near Zero During Burn To Disc
JimmyH [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 03, 2013 17:00 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
PD Version 11.0.0.2812
SR number VDE130411-03
OS Windows 7 SP1, 64 bit
Processor i5-2400S CPU @2.50 Ghz
RAM 6.0 GB
Virus protection AVG

This topic follows up on my previous topic "Error Burning DVD - eA000005 & eA001000D".

Hardware acceleration is turn ON. During both Write to File and Burn to Disk, the CPU usage reported by Procexp (Sysinternals Process Explorer) is ~100% and GPU usage is ~0%. See attachment for an annotated screenshot with CPU and GPU usage history. When is the GPU used by PowerDirector?
 Filename
PDR11 CPU-GPU.zip
[Disk]
 Description
PowerDirector 11 CPU & GPU Usage History
 Filesize
740 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
256 time(s)
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Haven't looked at your other thread.

Burning to disc is a CPU intensive task.
Producing video before burning is also CPU intensive.

Your GPU would not be taxed when burning to a disc.
Hardware acceleration (the one enabled in settings) is only used to speed up preview/render
In Produce the two Fast video rendering technology options would use both CPU & GPU.

In other words- your CPU does most of the work.

Rob

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 15. 2013 07:23

PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
JimmyH [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks RobAC. That confirms what I was seeing in procexp.
Can you explain the difference between Produce video before burning and Produce fast video render?
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks RobAC. That confirms what I was seeing in procexp.
Can you explain the difference between Produce video before burning and Produce fast video render?

Jimmy,

When you click the Produce tab you are rendering / encoding all your video sounds, transitions, effects etc. that you have edited into your movie. Produce literally "produces" your final complete video file.

Now Power Director offers you two ways of speeding up the video rendering in the bottom left of the Produce screen called Fast video rendering technology:

1. SVRT
see indepth discussion here: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/28170.page on how to enable it.
As well make sure to click on the "Intelligent SVRT" tab that is located top left below the "Device" & "Online" tabs. This will offer you the best SVRT setting to use. (Also when in "Edit" screen before "Produce" screen left click the Track Listing area in the lower left of the Edit screen and select "Show SVRT Track" to see the red / green areas that SVRT can produce and speed up. Only a few areas need this (red means video rendering required) - (green means video rendering not required.)

Yes I know it is confusing- see the link discussion above.

2. Hardware video encoder

The above two selections are used to harness the GPU to help the CPU speed up the rendering times of the video / movie file that is "produced."

I and others have found that it is a hit and miss in terms of video quality when using the above two Fast video rendering technologies.
So we do not use them. For Youtube vids my favourite mode of producing a file is:
WMV - Windows Media Video 9 1280 x 720/30p (6 Mbps) - This setting consistently produces the smallest, yet highest in video quality file for me without either SVRT or Hardware video encoder selected. It takes a bit longer to render this way- but I let the CPU alone do the heavy lifting.

If I am doing a quick rendering and full screen playback just to get an overall feel of how my video will look before final production, I will use a setting like MPEG-4 and it enables the "Hardware video encoder" option to speed up the video render. Then I can view that and make changes in "Edit" at the same time before I do a final Produce render using the WMV settings.

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
JimmyH [Avatar]
[Post New]
Excellent information Rob. I appreciate the time you spent on the reply.
Many thanks for the detailed information and links.