Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
clip freezes on title clip during preview
Ziggy1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 27, 2013 18:26 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
I have 2 clips with a lot of text (seems to be the common denominator), when in preveiw as soon as it hts the clip ( has fad transtion between), it freezes... even on lowest playback quality.

Why would it do this? How can I fix.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ziggy1,
1. Please provide a diagnostic file of your computer. See Part B of the guide: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/24771.page
2. What Preview setting have you opted for? See icon under preview player, to the right of the camera icon. If you have Preview set to high, your gpu may not be powerful enough to run PDR and play video smoothly.
3. Are the video being edited HD.... or what? Please provide more data on the media content.
Dafydd

Ziggy1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
dxdiag.txt attached. My system and graphics are more than enough (at least I think they should be). I keep it at "High preview", but even at the lowest it freezes. It is only the clips with a lot of text.

This clip has 7 tracks in it, I'd guess about 500 characters (PDR won't let me copy it out to do a character count) and 2 graphic clips. I don't believe the tracks are an issue because it stil did it with 3 tracks.... 1 text box plus 2 images. This is a 5 minute video and when I produce it there is no issue.

The clips are 1080 HP from a Nikon Digital camera (S8100s), I've done about 4 videos with this camera and PDR and this one has the most in it. Besides the title clip issue I find just simple actions cause PDR to freeze... selecting clips, modifying clips.

why are there red lines showing redndering required? There are green ones but they appeared after I produced the video? Why did only some parts go green? I don't understand this part of PDR. In Asobe premere I would always have to render first and the clips would be smooth.... I find PDR does not normally need this but for this particular video the whole project can be sluggish at times.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
52 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
237 time(s)
[Thumb - ScreenShot 06-08-13_001.jpg]
 Filename
ScreenShot 06-08-13_001.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
45 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
89 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 08. 2013 18:58

garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Ziggy:

Thank you for your dxdiag file and the snapshot. It looks like you might have hardware acceleration enabled. If you do, you must wait for it to render your clips before proceeding with your editing. Your CPU is the weak point of your system, and you might need hardware acceleration, but try unchecking it in Preferences and see what happens. Also if your video files are on Drive D, you might be running out of space for PD11 temp files - there is only 2.3 GB free on that drive. Normally PD11 uses the OS drive (C:\) for temp files.

The minimum specs for PD11 Deluxe, the least resource hungry version, can be found here:

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-deluxe/specs_en_CA.html

HD video editing is very resource intensive and your computer is probably struggling to handle your HD projects. You can see that Cyberlink recommends, as a minimum, a more powerful CPU than is in your computer.

Make sure that you do have the latest version of QuickTime installed. PD11 relies on that program being up-to-date.

Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Ziggy:
.............. It looks like you might have hardware acceleration enabled. If you do, you must wait for it to render your clips before proceeding with your editing. ..............
Regards,
-Phil

Hi Ziggy1,
Just to clarify the above quote by Phil, garioch7 . I believe he means "Shadow Edit file generation enabled". To see if we are correct, please provide a full screenshot of the Edit Workspace.

red = non-compliant* with SVRT and must be rendered/produced to a full HD file.
green = SVRT enabled and the selected Produce template is correct to Produce the file speedily.

* Still images, and any addition including Effects, corrections, Titles etc that has been done in the section will display red.

Your computer is on the low end (slow and lacks power and GPU capability) to cope with multiple tasks while HD editing. You can get by but if your system is stressed it will fall over, hang or stutter.

Dafydd
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the correction, Dafydd. I did mean shadow files, not hardware acceleration. I concur with you that his CPU is going to be stressed editing HD, but when I read his dxdiag file, admittedly early this morning, if I remember correctly, it showed two NVidia GTX 650s, I think, each with almost a 1 GB of dedicated video RAM and his drivers were less than three months old, so I don't think GPU power should be an issue for his computer. Perhaps, and it wouldn't be the first time, I didn't read the dxdiag file correctly.

Further education is always welcome. I am here to learn and to help, when I can. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks for the correction, Dafydd. I did mean shadow files, not hardware acceleration. I concur with you that his CPU is going to be stressed editing HD, but when I read his dxdiag file, admittedly early this morning, if I remember correctly, it showed two NVidia GTX 650s, I think, each with almost a 1 GB of dedicated video RAM and his drivers were less than three months old, so I don't think GPU power should be an issue for his computer. Perhaps, and it wouldn't be the first time, I didn't read the dxdiag file correctly.

Further education is always welcome. I am here to learn and to help, when I can. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

Ooops, ha ha. Yep you're right Phil. I didn't trawl down the diagnostic... Sunday evening and I'd been outside working on various tasks all day, my only excuse for not observing the data fully.

So... in addition to what Phil has put here's some more input.
1. In my view you should boost your Ram. 8gb is a minimum in my view having used a system with that amount.
2. Your CPU is too light, I've edited with a set up similar and PDR will drag when stressed and you need to have a more powerful setup to have a more comfortable experience.
3. Video storage location. If on the USB, you'll experience slow data transfer and the WD My Book (I have one still operating, another two failed.) it goes in a slow start up energy saving sequence. You need to "ping" it with a software like NoHDSleep to keep it active.
4. Shadow edit files - unconfirmed. Your system should be ok without this capability running. If set it'll just use the CPU up. You should be able to edit HD without too much hassle so long as you don't stress it with too many tracks, or additional effects and too many titles. You may hit a problem when trying to play in Movie or clip mode as the data needs to be processed on the fly before viewing.
5. Titles issue - sort of explained in 4.
The above is just an opinion.
Dafydd
Ziggy1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
thanks for the input, I tried the shadow thing but didn't help. As far as rendering goes, I have no clue how to render the video. I see when producing it that is Renders. I attached the screen shot with the SVRT line and only some rendered automatically?

ok so I hear you about my specs, I know it isn't top of the line but the system is still more than enough for the PDR specs, and the hard drive is 228 gb remaining, the other spec was for the CD drive disk that was loaded. Unfortunately the board only holds 8GB, but I think I am good for now, it doesn't freeze while producing, and I can still do plenty without noticing.

[Thumb - ScreenShot 06-12-13_002.jpg]
 Filename
ScreenShot 06-12-13_002.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
293 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
84 time(s)