Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Impact of number of CUDA cores during editing of long HD videos or 4K
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
I find that editing ,using lots of transitions titles etc., will noticeably slow down when using, say a 100 minute video. Even more so with a 30min 4k video. I do use shadow files.

Will increasing the number of CUDA cores from 96 make a difference ?. Editing only, I have no real problem with rendering time, using CPU for that. Is the CUDA involved during editing? Or generation of shadow files?

Eugene

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 27. 2013 14:47

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Eugen157,
Why are you using Shadow Edit files when you have a more than adequate processor/set up etc to edit without? The Shadow Edit File generation is using up your resources and is leaving your setup prone to more issues (shadow file failure to generate, constant generation, lower resolution preview).

Editing 4K on a system with only HDD storage is slower than one where all resource files are located on an SSD. The data transfer, read/write is, I'm told, significantly better on video systems editing 4K which have SSD. However SSD, the older drives come out mediocre in general compared to SSD's available today.

Cuda does have a role to play but so do all the parts of your computer, including storage and cpu (and the options you select when using a software).

Just my opinion and not really answering your question, sorry Eugene.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 28. 2013 02:38

Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
Dafydd, good morning and thanks for the reply.

Surprisingly, I do not recall a single issue using the shadow files. Since my editing is now done in 30 min segments, to be added together in the final version, it should be possible to forgo them and edit full HD. I will try it next.

So far about 6 hrs have been edited using PD11, once a video approaches 60 min there is a noticeable slow down. It is not a problem, simply not the same as in the first 5 minutes.

The 4K is strictly for fun and to obtain absolutely fantastic video quality. The video that is posted, is usually produced by professionals that know what they are doing and are only posting their top material. And as I mentioned in other posts, PD does an outstanding job converting that format to 2K

And my present setup allows working with that format. Not sure if the hdd is a limiting factor, the bit rate used is variable, typically 25 Mb average and 40 Mb peak, a simple hard drive should have no problem handling that, it would be less than 5MB/sec. For example, all the the original 4K downloads can be played w/o any stutter, converting on the fly from 4 to 2K.

Since 4K is so highly compressed, much more so than 2K, the shortcomings are likely in the GPU, and that is why I was wondering if I should get a better graphics board, including doubling the memory.

I remember reading about a Cyberlink list of approved GPU boards, where would that be hiding?

Thanks for your reply Dafydd

Eugene

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 28. 2013 12:15

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
Eugen157
[Post New]
Enclosed are CPU and GPU loads when using PD11 in different modes. Shadow files off.

It is surprising how little memory is used..

GPU-Z was used and Task Manager.

Any comments ?

Eugene
[Thumb - PD11 playing 4K file on the time line.jpg]
 Filename
PD11 playing 4K file on the time line.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
GPU load
 Filesize
109 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
85 time(s)
[Thumb - PD11 Rendering 60P HD 28Mb SVRT mode.jpg]
 Filename
PD11 Rendering 60P HD 28Mb SVRT mode.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
GPU load 3
 Filesize
106 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
85 time(s)
[Thumb - PD11 playing back HD on timeline.jpg]
 Filename
PD11 playing back HD on timeline.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
GPU load 2
 Filesize
116 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
78 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 29. 2013 15:47

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
PD14,