Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD11 Crashes w/ Crossfire Enabled
AZJoe67 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Casa Grande, Arizona Joined: May 18, 2013 21:48 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I have found that PD11 seems to randomly (more often than not) cause my display to go black and completely lock up the machine if I have Crossfire enabled. My system is as follows:

Biostar TA970 mainboard
AMD FX-8350 CPU
16GB 1866MHz RAM
2x Radeon HD 7850 GPU (Crossfired)
Windows 7 64-bit
AMD Catalyst Drivers 13.4

Everything is patched to within an inch of its life.

When I disable Crossfire, PD11 acts wonderfully. It hasn't failed me yet. BUT, if I have Crossfire enabled, it will inevitably cause the screen to black out and lock up the PC.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Thanks,

Joe
AZJoe67 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Casa Grande, Arizona Joined: May 18, 2013 21:48 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I've done a little more experimenting:

Crossfire DISABLED - HW Decoding & Acceleration ENABLED - works just fine but it only used the 2ndary GPU when producing. The primary GPU had almost no load on it and the 2ndary GPU didn't show much of a load: 510MHz (of a 910MHz max) and generally around 10-20% load

Crossfire ENABLED - HW Acceleration DISABLED - HW Decoding ENABLED - system still blacks out and freezes

Crossfire ENABLED - HW Acceleration and Decoding DISABLED - seems to work just fine. Producing doesn't take that much longer either, perhaps 10-15% longer.

Thoughts?
[Post New]
I've done a little more experimenting:

Crossfire DISABLED - HW Decoding & Acceleration ENABLED - works just fine but it only used the 2ndary GPU when producing. The primary GPU had almost no load on it and the 2ndary GPU didn't show much of a load: 510MHz (of a 910MHz max) and generally around 10-20% load

Crossfire ENABLED - HW Acceleration DISABLED - HW Decoding ENABLED - system still blacks out and freezes

Crossfire ENABLED - HW Acceleration and Decoding DISABLED - seems to work just fine. Producing doesn't take that much longer either, perhaps 10-15% longer.

I am so glad I found this message. While I cannot provide an answer to your problem; I disabled HW acceleration and decoding and finally got a project to get all the way through producing the MP4 file.

My project consisted of 8 MOV and 25 JPG files. I used the Magic Movie Wizard with the Extreme Sports preset to create the movie. Once I moved on to produce the movie as an MP4, PD11 constantly crashed within the first 20 seconds of the movie. Rendering the movie with HW acceleration and decoding turned off allowed PD11 to work; although my render speed was a little worse than real-time.

Hopefully CL monitors this forum and can trace the error. I would be happy to ZIP up my project and send it to someone if that helps.
Raife [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 12, 2012 21:30 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
I also was having unsuccessful renders and burns until I unchecked HW Decoding & Acceleration on my Crossfire enabled rig.

Unchecked - all good
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Cyberlink rarely monitors this forum in an active sense. A few mods may intercede/comment/act, but don't count on it. The experts here can solve most issues. Most. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
This mod reads the forum and lets CyberLink know of issues.
Dafydd
Forum Moderator - in charge of all PowerDirector Forums.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
"Mods" can't be everywhere all the time, of course, but the point has been made repeatedly over the years that Cyberlink does not monitor the Forum, and certainly don't get involved in every little quirky issue. Lately I have seen users take a stab at support via the Facebook page. Running astray here of the topic now. But someday when I grow up I'll HAVE a Crossfire thingy and all these threads will be revisited by me! HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
[Post New]
I wasn't sure if I had Crossfire or not. I don't. I am using a Samsung Core i7 (3rd Gen) laptop using the nVidia 650M GPU. There is also the built-in Intel HD graphics 4000 included on my laptop. I have PD11 set to always use the nVidia GPU. Drivers for both GPUs are completely up to date. Just for kicks, I tried to render the same video using the Intel GPU. It still crashed.

Other movies will render fine with HW acceleration and decoding turned on. So there is something quirky with this project that forces me to turn off the HW acceleration and decoding to get a full render.

As I said before, if CL is interested in probing this issue, I don't mind zipping up the project to send for analysis.