Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
YouTube video stabilisation gives surprise results.
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
I took a few stills and some video of the commemorative Lancaster bomber flyover near to where I live yesterday. I was using my point and shoot Sony DHC-HX20V which is really difficult in bright conditions (no viewfinder) so the video was unsteady. I managed to rescue some clips to make a short video and stuck a few scrolling titles on the bottom. Nothing fancy at all and then uploaded the result to YouTube and accepted the video stabilisation that was offered. It improved the footage but had an effect on my titles that was unexpected (about 2 minutes in).

I've had PD for quite a while now but still only scratching the surface. Should I be trying to stabilise footage during editing?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 17. 2013 13:47

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
I bet it was fantastic seeing it fly so close and so low.

For the most part video stabilization is just a way of making a video look less shaky. For instance, video taken from a moving bus, train or car. It works by simply zooming in slightly. It will not center an objsct. Keep that in mind.

Also, do all the stabilization BEFORE you do anything like adding titles. It looks like you may have added the titles while you were cutting/editing the video. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hmm.. Just looked at the help file re "Stabilization" and to be honest it never occurred to me I could do it in PD . I produced the wmv with titles and it was then stabilised by YouTube. Ah well another day and another lesson learned.

p.s. Yes it was a wonderful sight to see. Majestic would be a good description I think. The plane just seemed to hang in the air more like a glider at times. Living just a couple of miles away meant I knew where to get a good view

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 17. 2013 17:09

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Longedge -

I've had YouTube report videos as shaky when I absolutely knew they weren't. They were comprised of screen captures and stills! This occurred regularly when I used conversion software called VidCoder, which I've since stopped using.

Once I decided to click "Yes" to see what it came up with. Haha - it made it shaky! I guess the bottom line of that is - Don't necessarily trust YT's shaky video detection or processing.

Probably, if you hadn't used scrolling titles, the effect wouldn't have been so noticeable. Scrolling titles in PD have jerky motion anyway!

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
bolda
Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Feb 02, 2011 15:10 Messages: 96 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Longedge,

I've learnt to ignore YouTube's suggestions to improve my videos. PowerDirector could do a bit of a job there but I think that particular video of yours is as good as anybody else's footage taken without a tripod. I'd probably myself prefer the original resolution to sacrifycing it in the image stabilization process. The story and the uniqueness of the video are more important than the technical merits, in my humble opinion...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 18. 2013 02:10

Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I've learnt to ignore YouTube's suggestions to improve my videos.

Hi Bolda & Tony

Yes I think you are both correct. As I said - another lesson learned, I'll be a wise man by the time I'm about 150 yrs old
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Longedge,
Thank you for this post and the story of what Youtube does to your video.

I have seen that suggestion by Youtube many times and have always said no.

Like the Tony said, I knew my videos were not shaky. Whatever Youtube's detection method is, it does not work.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
You can apply stabilization during editing in PD, it will not affect the other elements of your timeline. AFTER producing a video, it will affect titles, time-codes, anything like that. I might add that applying stabilization will stress your computer, so I often will stabilize, produce, THEN edit the new file. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I often will stabilize, produce, THEN edit the new file.

Yes - that's what I shall do in future
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I have seen videos on YouTube do that, but never knew why. Very curious. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
[Post New]
Speaking of stabilization, the last I did in PD11 I think was an improvement when it ticked the option Fix rotational camera shake.
Anyone ever bercebeu this too.
----
If I need to send the video to Youtube shake and then retrieve it with stabilization. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate