Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Slow to load RAW images
tommyg [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Ohio Joined: Sep 18, 2011 10:35 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
After importing RAW images to my library, I'm experiencing REALLY slow loading performance when making any sort of change whether it's editing the image or simply clicking on the next one to view. Sometimes 30 seconds or more. This is at least 6X longer than the same sort of process using Lightroom. Anyone else experience this? Any advice on speeding up the process? Pretty frustrating. I'm using PD4.
[Post New]
Hello tommyg,

A similar issue was discussed here http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/25710.page though that turned out to be related to projects made in previous versions.

At the moment, I'm away from my PhD4 (and the other software you mentioned) so I'm unable to do any direct tesing. I certainly haven't noticed the same difference in speed when importing or processing RAW images, & I'm quite often importing hundreds in one batch.

Perhaps other members might chime in with their experience. Sorry I can't offer better advice right now.

PIX

PIX YouTube channel
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
No delays importing and editing NEF files from Nikon dSLR.

Is your anti-virus slowing it down? .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
tommyg [Avatar]
[Post New]
Everything else seems to hum right along. Even opening the software is reasonable quick. I've had the same experience with PhDir3 and I was hoping this would have been addressed in 4. I've seen a few reviews that suggest this is a problem. I'm running 6GB ram and an Athlon 3500 dual core processor. Anti virus doesn't slow anything else down, so I doubt that would be an issue. Using AVG. if Lightroom also showed the same delay, I could deduce it was my system. But it doesn't. I want to verify that jpgs load quicker. If that's the case, then it may have something to do with file sizes of 20mb or more. What kind of impact would the video card have on this process?
Knightbeat40 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 02, 2011 01:23 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I have just bought and install PD 4, and it sure does take along time for a raw NEF file to load. It does not do this with other Photo editing apps.

Any updates to fix this?

REgards,
Ron
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have just bought and install PD 4, and it sure does take along time for a raw NEF file to load. It does not do this with other Photo editing apps.

Any updates to fix this?

REgards,
Ron

I just timed it and it took me around 5 seconds to load one NEF file -- and to apply a preset. How long does it take you? Tell us about your computer via PartB
Here: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

If you reply and would like, I'll try to load several images at once. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
[Post New]
Hello Ron,

Using PhD4, I often load folders of RAW images & haven't noticed any "slowness" compared with similar software.

I just imported 10 NEF (36MP) files from a Nikon D800 & it took just over 7 seconds. It did take a further 13 seconds for the thumbnails to render completely. Importing the same 10 shots in JPG format was mucch quicker (of course).

Repeating the time test in LR gave similar results, though thumbnail rendering was quicker).

My PC has only modest specs: i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz, GTX 260, 8GB RAM. It would be useful if you post your PC's specs, as Steve suggested.

PIX

PIX YouTube channel
tommyg [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here's my system info. The video info is not correct as I just had to pull my GeForce 9800 GT card because of a malfunctioning fan. It may take as long as 30 seconds or more to load one RAW file from my Nikon d7000. I have tried with jpg's and they load relatively quickly in comparison. Maybe 5 seconds. Any other thoughts? Sounds like Ron is experiencing exactly what I am.

Tom
 Filename
Tom-DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
System information for tommyg
 Filesize
34 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
280 time(s)
[Post New]
Hello Tom,

If you look at the minimum specifications for running PhD4 http://www.cyberlink.com/products/photodirector-ultra/specs_en_AU.html you'll see how that compares to your PC. CPU is better than minimum.

Is the import time you stated with or without the 9800 GT attached? The Radeon Xpress 1150 is below minimum specs.

Is anything else running at the same time? or was your observation made while other software was running?

PIX PIX YouTube channel
tommyg [Avatar]
[Post New]
The report was generated after I pulled the 9800 card. I experienced this issue even with that card installed.
tommyg [Avatar]
[Post New]
Nevertheless, I'm going to say my card is still the issue judging by how quickly a 5mb jpg file loaded. I have a friend who is selling me his ATI Radeon HD 6770 at a great price. I should get a good idea after I make this change. Will report back in a week or so.