Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Changing audio levels for multiple clips
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
I brought this up before and one of the suggestions was to transfer those clips whose audio was to be changed to a different time line in toto. The transfer works well, but highlighting the transferred clips and using the normalize feature still does to allow me to adjust ALL clips to a level of my choice. The "normalize" level seems to be fixed. Any work arounds?

This feature to adjust audio levels of multiple clips is a very common feature on other editing software.

Thanks for any input

Eugene 73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I brought this up before and one of the suggestions was to transfer those clips whose audio was to be changed to a different time line in toto. The transfer works well, but highlighting the transferred clips and using the normalize feature still does not allow me to adjust ALL clips to a level of my choice. The "normalize" level seems to be fixed. Any work arounds?

Here's what NORMALIZE does...
"· if there is more than one audio clip on the voice or music track, or on any of the audio tracks, click the Normalize* button to have CyberLink PowerDirector set the volume for all the clips to the same level." (Or close to it, by my experimentation.)

If your intent is to level all clips at 100%, as many audio editors can, doing it manually (press F9) is an alternative.

You might request this functionality in a note to Cyberlink.
[Post New]

Normalize the PD really does not work the way it should be in my opinion.
It does not adjust the volume of audio to a standard.
It adjusts for average value between the various clips in audio track selected.
I use WaveEditor for volume adjustment for each clip, the graph peaks I have a reading but need the volume I want. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Normalize the PD really does not work the way it should be in my opinion.
It does not adjust the volume of audio to a standard.

Agreed. True "normalize" should be on the Cyberlink PD wish list.
Perhaps the current behavior should be relabeled "leveling."

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 27. 2013 12:09

Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
Agree with all as well.
The camera does a pretty good job of providing a more or less constant audio level. Normalize would be more useful if its output level could be adjusted.

I would like to place a post entitled " it would be nice to have" and to list some features that are missing like a simple VU meter etc. I fear that it would be deleted in no time at all.

Just made a 45 min 1920x1080 60P video of a cruise we took with our neighbors. Had the PD crash twice in the produce mode. The cure for that was to reboot the computer and PD11. Will do that from now on.

Otherwise I ham pretty content with the software, my first item of importance is video quality and it does that very well.

Eugene 73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A