Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
DVD playback image
Clarity3 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 08, 2013 08:11 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I am a long term user of PowerDVD and still continue to use version 9. The reasons for not upgrading have been numerous, however one consistent concern from version 11 and now again in 13 is the nature of the playback image for DVD.

In my opinion, Blu-ray playback has a level of detail that is relayed relatively faithfully with colour and definition giving a sense of quality that enhances viewing without distraction albeit contrast is leaning towards thin. I cannot say the same for DVD.

In this instance, for me, the image quality is disrupted by over 'flattening' detail and creating an amount of flair in some colour hues, which is very noticeable and distracting. Even with all enhancements turned off (True Theatre), the image is like an air brushed advert.

This seems to be a common theme with all major software player providers and I am not sure why.

I have also noticed in version 13 there is a more subdued audio output. For me, the player audio output has reduced by some 6dB, which means even with the controls at max, my audio card has to run at 90%.

Perhaps others can comment on these points.
[Post New]
I have a similar experience to yours, Clarity3.

I use PowerDVD 11, but only for Blu-rays. I don't like what it does with DVDs. I upgraded to 12 Ultra, but it had performance issues that Cyberlink just shrugged at, and I hated the way it repeatedly tried to take control of any multimedia files on my system — I didn't buy it as an audio player, and even freebie apps like foobar2000 do a better job in that respect. So I rolled my installation back a version. Not sure if I'll plunge into 13.

I use VLC for playing DVDs. It's not as flash at menus, but it does a much better job with the image. Plus — and it's a big plus, in my view — VLC can remove both video and audio speed-up on PAL-encoded DVDs, something that PowerDVD can't do.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 13. 2013 01:24

rickycht [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 03, 2012 07:33 Messages: 56 Offline
[Post New]
I use VLC for playing DVDs

+1. It's a pretty simple open source software and virtually plays 99.99% of video files!