Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
DVD Menu Background sizes Lost in Tutorials
AGagnon [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 23, 2011 14:46 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Im making Widescreen DVD and want to know what pixel size do I need to make background image to fit properly?

Also Im EXTREMELY lost in the amount of linsk to find things around here. Maybe if I explain things on what id liek to do I can get more properly directed..

My son and I made a movie using lego charactors nd want to make a professional looking dvd

Am I to understand with the "Menu Structure" I can have on top meu the choice to go to a 'cahpters' page with the main video in sections AND also have another button on the main page to go to traielrs and or bloopers section?

Can I have a video playing in background of menu instead of static image?
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Im making Widescreen DVD and want to know what pixel size do I need to make background image to fit properly?

Also Im EXTREMELY lost in the amount of linsk to find things around here. Maybe if I explain things on what id liek to do I can get more properly directed..

My son and I made a movie using lego charactors nd want to make a professional looking dvd

Am I to understand with the "Menu Structure" I can have on top meu the choice to go to a 'cahpters' page with the main video in sections AND also have another button on the main page to go to traielrs and or bloopers section?

Can I have a video playing in background of menu instead of static image?

Please, I'm not trying to be harsh. Did you open the program, select help and type in Menu. There are many entries that will show up.

On the main menu, after you add all your files or projects, you will have a "Play" and a "Scenes" option. If you choose scenes, then you would see all the projects and video files you've added. The scenes would be equivalent to your main movie, the bloopers and trailers plus any other videos or video projects you added.

Try it. It is better to try and start again rather than to just read/watch the help files. If you still have questions, come back and ask more specifically what your issue is. You can select one of the built in menus or one of the menus from the director zone and modify it the way you want.

Yes, you can use a video as the menu background or you can use a video as the first run video (plays when you put the disc in the player). Select "Create Menu" and menu designer will open. It is pretty simple if you learn the terminology.

If you are proud of your movie, why do you want to mess around with the menu. People want to see the video; not the menu.

Edit : I forgot to add that if your image is not 16 by 9, there there is no way to get it to fit without cutting off some of the image or having bars around the image. A lot of cameras take 3 by 2 or thereabouts image ratio. That doesn't mathematically expand to 16 by 9.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Apr 05. 2013 15:33

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi AGagnon -

Steve's right - the Help file in PD does provide some useful tips. Just look under Creating Discs > Customising Disc Menus

This tutorial might help too - http://youtu.be/rGCM_Vs4O-M

You shouldn't have trouble creating/modifying a menu to give it a "Lego look".

The background image or video could be one you've shot of one of your lego character scenes. Even though PD will crop or stretch your image to fit, I usually crop to 16:9 before importing.

You can also insert an image in a menu page and put it where you wish (not as the whole background).

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!