CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Memory Box Menu Background Cropping Issue
Reply to this topic
garioch7
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]

Good day. This is my stupid week - please pardon me. First I had no PD11 menus last week, except for that awful Monopoly menu, but Tony helped me resolve that - THANK YOU, Tony.

In the past, right from PD9, I have noted that the Memory Box menu cropped its background images or videos. I can not find a work around for that cropping issue in the PD11 Menu Designer. I have tried saving my images again, after downsizing the image on a background layer in an image editing program, and then saving that as a new image. It seems to make no difference that I can see, other than there appears to be some sort of faint superimposition. I have selected "Remove Background" and then loaded my modified image, but that was not successful either.

This is not ideal when your background image is a photo of people and the Memory Box menu cuts off all or some of their heads. There is probably a very simple workaround that my senior brain has not yet grasped, and I would be grateful for any advice as to how to go about using the Memory Box menu so that subject heads are not truncated. The Help files are obviously not that detailed, so I am counting on the advice of the many experts here on this forum

Thank you for any advice. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
James1
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Phil,
Not sure I can help...but if you post the image you are trying to incorporate I will see if I can find a solution.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
garioch7
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
James:

Thank you for your generous offer to help. Unfortunately, I deleted my modified image, and the original image, after I completed burning the project for my client earlier today. I was just a bit frustrated. My WinUndelete software can't find it, so I guess some cache, temp, or event log files overwrote the two image files.

I have noticed this cropping issue with every photo or video that I have used with the Memory Box menu since PD9. My modified photo, smaller in size on a background, was just an effort to see if I could fool the menu into displaying the entire photo, assuming that it would crop out the background, or a lot of it.

I did have a complaint from a client about this issue once before and I think that the current client might be similarly unhappy. If so, I will just design a completely custom menu that does not crop the image, though I have to think that there might be a workaround for the Memory Box menu which is why I was asking. I have no hesitation to admit publicly that I still have a LOT to learn about PD.

Thanks again, James. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1939 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Phil,

It's a long time since I played with the menu files but the memory box files are here on my system :
mem box 1.png

and they may be able to be edited, if you can find the correct file and it is worth the bother.

For instance here is an excerpt from the C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector10\Menus\Memory Box\layout\std_layout.xml file:
mem box 2.png

or another view
mem box 3.png

whether it is worth the bother of exploring it all is ...........????

Cheers
Adrian
 Filename
mem box 1.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
118 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
194 time(s)
 Filename
mem box 3.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
135 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
194 time(s)
 Filename
mem box 2.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
75 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
194 time(s)
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9795 Offline
[Post New]
Phil -

If it's any consolation, your "senior brain" is not alone here! Just combining the ages of the contributors to this thread is a little bit scarey!

What is it about that Memory Box menu that draws you back to it? Couldn't you pick an easier one to modify?

I'm only a little bit confident we can work a way around the truncated heads problem, but I'm not sure exactly what part you're talking about. Root page? Titles/Chapters pages?

Phil - I'm sure (like Adrian) you've already had a poke around the folders that make up the Memory Box template, at C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDirector11\Menus\Memory Box

If so, you would have seen that some things about that template are "set in concrete", because it contains a series of background videos (on root & chapter pages) that would have to be completely remade. The masks are made to match these background videos & images, so they'd need to be reworked too.

Maybe a screenshot of the part(s) of the menu you're talking about would help.

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
James1
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tony,
I think I brought up the fact that some of the templates were not completely modifiable(sp) in some aspects at the webinar cyberlink held...but my memory can't recollect the answer given...(being my age probably is just short of the combined age of 2 posters) LOL. It drive me crazy trying to create a Menus with similarities to the templates when I can scrutinize how they were made to begin with..
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
garioch7
[Post New]
Thanks Tony, Adrian, and James. No, I had not thought of modifying the templates, and that looks like a rather daunting task that I will avoid.

I guess my main question is that since the Memory Box crops any selected images, how can I go about creating a modified photo for the root menu, that is smaller, with a background, so that the background gets cropped? I have tried with WP Presentations, creating a Master Drawing, downsizing the photo and adding a background, and then saving that out as a .jpg file, but that just doesn't seem to work.

Am I missing something obvious?

I won't be able to respond to any posts today - have to be away for the day, but will check back tomorrow.

Yes, there are a lot of years on this thread! Thanks again for all of your suggestions and help.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9795 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Phil -

Maybe I'm missing something obvious here. I assumed (wrongly?) that you were talking about how the video thumbnail gets cropped on both the root & titles pages.

You keep mentioning the "background image", so maybe I have it all inside out & back to front.

Cheers - Tony

Filename
MemBox_crop1.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
339 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
338 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 25. 2013 12:11

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
garioch7
[Post New]
Tony:

No, you've got it right. What I attempted to do when my opening video was cropped by the Memory Box menu was to take Memory Box into the Menu Designer to modify it. I then removed the background video and inserted an image file that was subsequently cropped as well.

Then I tried loading the image file into WP Presentations, creating a Master Drawing. I then created a background, inserted the image, downsized it, and then saved it out as a new .jpg file, that included the downsized image on a background.

My "(il)logical" thinking was that Memory Box would crop out all or some of the background, but I would still have the original downsized image displaying fully. That didn't work. Perhaps I am using the wrong software, because, according to my dubious thinking processes, that should have worked.

Any further suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your time and expertise, Tony. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Reply to this topic