Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Chapters don't save to final video
rjohns75 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 23, 2013 18:27 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
I use the auto chapter settings after editing the video. I produce the video (I've tried different formats) but the final video produced does not included the chapter settings. I've played the video on the computer using windows media player and burned it to a DVD but the chapters are not there. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Robert

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 23. 2013 18:32

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Robert -

Chapters only apply to disc creation (DVD or BR). They will not appear in produced files.

If you burnt your disc using the (already) produced file, that's why the chapters don't appear in the disc menu.

Go back to the original project - the one with the chapters marked - do your menu modification then burn. Your chapters will be there.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
jmone
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Nov 26, 2010 00:05 Messages: 706 Offline
[Post New]
FYI lots of modern Container Formats do support chapters (eg MKV, WMV) but I've not tested PD to see if it writes the information to these files. A (somewhat incomplete) comparing Container Formats is here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_container_formats PD 64 Bit-Win10 64 Bit-32GB RAM-80TB HDD
Sony FX6 - 500Mbps 4k/50p AVC-I HLG
Canon XF400 - 150Mbps 4k/50p AVC
GoPro Hero6 Black
Pana HS700-28Mbps 1080/50p AVC (High@L4.2)
Canon HV20-HDV 25Mbps 16:9 1440x1080/25p MPEG
rjohns75 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 23, 2013 18:27 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the responses. I record multiple basketball games, create the final video files and burn copies as requested. It looks like I can retrieve the final video file and redo the chapters during the burning process. The only drawback is that I can't use the feature the puts a chapter at the beginning of each clip (that makes up the video file). At least I can use the "insert chapter at fixed interval" function. Thanks again.

Robert
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Jmone -

Thank you for the info. Complete news to me! I appreciate you pointing me (and all of us) in the right direction.

Guess I'll go and do some reading!

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you Nathan, really good bit of info. I've known for years that DivX could carry the additional information but needed its own player to extract the data. One good reason why it was so popular as a downloaded finished format. The MKV format was highlighted in a tutorial I did a while back - it has the ability to carry multiple audio tracks. I'm not surprised by the additional ability. I'm impressed with the table you've directed us all to. Super. Thanks.
Dafydd
jmone
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Nov 26, 2010 00:05 Messages: 706 Offline
[Post New]
FYI - MKV is the most flexible container available as it can support multiple (and just about any) Video and Audio streams as well as Streaming, Chapters, Subtitles and more advanced features like Ordered Chapters (like seamless branching) and even Menus. The good (and bad) news is that it is open source so any dev is free to support the format ... or (unfortunately) only part of the format. So the reality is that while the many creation and playback SW (/HW) supports some of the features, few (if any) support all of them. One downside of the open source approach is that there is no Tech Giant pushing this format so support can be erratic. That said it would now be the most popular choice by those backing up content from their original sources for HTPC playback (and dare I say also by "file sharers" on the net)....DivK is dead and the next "best" would be MP4 (but that is not streamable friendly) or the TS varieties (but while streamable it lacks muxed in Chapter Support). The good news is many HW devices now also support MKV playback as well (but most will not support the more advanced features).

I'll have to test what PD supports in it's MKV authoring at some point!

For these interested in the MKV spec --> http://www.matroska.org PD 64 Bit-Win10 64 Bit-32GB RAM-80TB HDD
GoPro Hero6 Black
jmone
[Post New]
FYI - did a quick test of PD11 support for MKV output
- No Chapter support
- No Subtitle Stream (but subs are burnt onto the video)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 25. 2013 07:19

PD 64 Bit-Win10 64 Bit-32GB RAM-80TB HDD
GoPro Hero6 Black