Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
24p mode and audio delay
[Post New]
I noticed something strange lately. I first thought it was my LED TV which was the cause, but then I made some tests.

When I watch Blu-Ray movies in 24p (24hz refresh rate), I have an audio delay of approx. 100 milliseconds I have to compensate with my AV amplifier. When I watch them keeping the usual 60hz refresh rate (3:2 pulldown), there is no delay, and lip sync is perfect. The fact that there's no delay at 60hz made me think maybe the TV is not the cause, but the way PowerDVD deals with 23.976 fps displayed on a 24hz display.

It's not really a problem anyway, I made tests with several action movies at both 24p and 60hz, and honestly, 60hz looks just as good if not better (my Toshiba TV has AMR 100 so it's a 100hz panel inside anyway). I don't notice any 3:2 pulldown "artifacts" so I'm mostly watching my Blu-Ray movies at 60hz. I just wanted to get opinions of other users about this, and maybe alert Cyberlink of a potential problem/bug.

My rig:
PC with AMD HD6870 graphic card, HDMI output.
Pioneer VSX-322 HDMI AV amplifier (in "direct" mode, no digital sound filtering or whatever other crap).
Toshiba 32RL938 TV (also with all filtering and other image modifying crap turned off).

Tested on many original Blu-Ray discs among which Game of Thrones S1 and S2, Avatar, Prometheus, Skyfall, License to Kill, Star Wars, Star Trek (2009), Kingdom of Heaven, etc..., all have the same approx. 100 ms audio delay when played in 24p mode.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 14. 2013 07:45

My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7