Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Set start time of clips?
timindublin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 06, 2012 11:40 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I've been searching forever for this, I'm trying to sync up several video clips using their audio - a painful process. (I must listen, and move each clip slightly until im reasonable sure all audio is aligned)

However, the only way I can find to really set this - is to zoom in very, very close: move the clip on the timeline by a ms or 2, and zoom out. Why can't I simply right click and set "time start" or something to that effect?

Thanks! NA
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I've been searching forever for this, I'm trying to sync up several video clips using their audio - a painful process. (I must listen, and move each clip slightly until im reasonable sure all audio is aligned)

However, the only way I can find to really set this - is to zoom in very, very close: move the clip on the timeline by a ms or 2, and zoom out. Why can't I simply right click and set "time start" or something to that effect?

Thanks!

You can type the time code in the time display of the preview viewer, Then press 'Enter' the cursor (scrubber) will jump to that time.

Syncing two or more clips Audio and/or Video is a trial and error procedure. You can expand the timeline to the maximum (frame level).

The maximum resolution is one frame.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
You're right. That would be a nice feature.

Once the clips a fairly close to being in sync, you do need to zoom the timeline to max.
A keystroke that helps - with Seek By set to "Frame" - is Alt + → & Alt + ← to nudge the clip by one frame either way.

Using Carl's suggestion, I sometimes drop in a colour board at the point & butt the clip against it (then remove the CB).

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Nudge.png]
 Filename
Nudge.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
41 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1675 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 02. 2013 19:22

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
timindublin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 06, 2012 11:40 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Ah thanks! that shortcut key looks very useful.. it would be so much easier if PD could just analyze the waveform and take an educated guess, in most cases I'm recording from the same audio source. Maybe someday.. NA
Konrad999 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 07, 2021 13:33 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I've been searching forever for this, I'm trying to sync up several video clips using their audio - a painful process. (I must listen, and move each clip slightly until im reasonable sure all audio is aligned)

Thanks!

You can type the time code in the time display of the preview viewer, Then press 'Enter' the cursor (scrubber) will jump to that time.

Syncing two or more clips Audio and/or Video is a trial and error procedure. You can expand the timeline to the maximum (frame level).

The maximum resolution is one frame.

Can you please xplain where this time window is in which I can type the exact time? Thank you.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Can you please xplain where this time window is in which I can type the exact time? Thank you.

Below the Preview window on the top right is a set of controls. That time window is right of the Movie button and left of the Fit dropdown arrow.