Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD v6 high def query
Collector50 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Springfield, IL USA Joined: Jan 28, 2008 07:26 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I am using a Panasonic AVCHD Hi-def camera(AG-HSC1UP). It has created a hi-def file with a .MTS file designation. I am able to download to my XP PC with no problem.
When I open the file in PD it states" you are about to convert the AVCHD file to a MPEG-2 file for editing". That seems to work fine. I can move it to the time line just as I would a .mod file. I can also create a regular DVD with that clip.
1st ?. Does the conversion to MEP-2 discard the hi-def attributes of my original file?

If I say "no" to the conversion the file remains as a MTS file but I can't move it to the time line? I do not have a blu-ray burner yet and would like to be assured that if I do, that I can use my AVCHD hi-def files, edit them and create an output Blu-ray DVD.

I'm confused as to what is going on with the conversion. Straighten me out with the details of the hi-def process.

Thx
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Welcome to the forum Richard.
I've asked an experienced forum member who uses AVCHD to come and read your post.

Dafydd
BradyB
Senior Member Location: Springfield, Illinois USA Joined: Feb 24, 2007 07:38 Messages: 153 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Richard,

Welcome to the Cyberlink forum! You've come to the right place.

When PowerDirector converts your file to MPEG-2, it retains full hi-def attributes. After converting to MPEG-2, rightclick on a video clip and select Properties. You should see a Resolution of 1440 x 1080. Also note the Audio section. PowerDirector keeps the Dolby Digital surround (I read that some AVCHD editing packages convert to stereo).

When you click the "Create Disc" button, you are downrezzing your video to standard definition for DVD burning purposes.

To create a Blu-ray disk, you will need a Blu-ray burner and the PowerProducer software (PowerDirector does not burn Blu-ray at this time).

After converting your AVCHD files and editing your video in PowerDirector, press the "Produce" button, rather than the "Create Disc" button.
1) Select "Create a File", then click the Next (green rightarrow) button.
2) Select".MPEG2", then either "[HDV MPEG-2 720P]" or "[HDV MPEG-2 1080i]" in the Profile Name/Quality dropdown. Click the Next button
3) Click the three dots [...] next to the Filename field and enter your desired path and filename. Click the Checkmark to start producing your hi-def video file.

When PowerDirector is finished producing the video file, open the file in PowerProducer and burn your Blu-ray DVD!

I would recommend starting with BD-RE disks. These are re-writable and great for testing your first few projects.

Hope this is helpful.

Brady
Collector50 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Springfield, IL USA Joined: Jan 28, 2008 07:26 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Brady. This kind of help doesn't get any better than this. Much appreciated.

I think I'll just have to invest in a burner and give it all a try.

Note, I also am in Springfield, IL. (Small world)
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Brady

As an alternative, could you burn the Blue-Ray disc with Power2Go 6 which is a cheaper option than buying Power Producer, if you you don't already have it.

Regards

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you Brady, excellent input.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 12. 2008 12:54

BradyB
Senior Member Location: Springfield, Illinois USA Joined: Feb 24, 2007 07:38 Messages: 153 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Robert,

After reading one of your other posts, I tried using Power2Go. I can't remember exactly what I was trying to do, but the software said I needed to upgrade to do it.

I already had PowerProducer, so I used that package instead.

When I purchased a Sony Blu-ray burner, it came with a bunch of Cyberlink products. PowerProducer, Power2Go, PowerBackup (or something like that), and a few others.

Brady
BradyB
[Post New]
Hi Richard,

I can't believe you live in Springfield!

I got into this video editing stuff about a year ago and at first thought it was a little strange communicating with people from Taiwan, Wales, and Australia. I got used to it after a while. They are all really great folks.

If you want to test out one of your hi-def projects before you buy a burner:
1. get a 4 gig USB drive and a blank BD-RE disk.
2. after editing and saving your project in PowerDirector, produce the hi-def mpeg2 file.
3. copy the file to the USB drive and bring it over to my house with your blank BD-RE (I will PM you my phone number)
4. I can burn the Blu-ray disk for you.

Brady