Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Burned DVD plays fine on PC but displays chopped image size on TV.- SOLVED -
cobweb77 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Sydney, Australia Joined: Jan 28, 2013 01:35 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Folks,
After completing my first edit with PD Ultimate Suite and burning the project to a DVD, the DVD plays perfectly on the PC, but the image is stretched horizontally in 16:9 format on the TV. Switching to 4:3 format on the TV shows the correct height but with the original image shortened. There is no distortion of the image, it's just chopped each side.
Here's the background;
1. The video files were taken in SD mpeg2, and downloaded to the PC via Sony PMB. I've used part of these same downloads to edit and burn DVD's in my previous edit software with no problems.
2. PD Settings used in the burn process are;
. DVD-Video Widescreen 16:9
. MPEG-2 HQ-Best Qual.
. Dolby Digital 2 Channels
and with No Menu
3. PD is v. 11.0.0.2516; PC is Core i5, Gigabyte B75MD3H M/B, video card Gigabyte GT630 2 GB, Win 7. No other video edit software is installed.
Here's what I've tried,
a. Used PD Produce to create a file, and burned DVD from it. Same result.
b. Used LPCM sound in place of Dolby, same result but also with shaky video.
c. Used the PD ShadowEditFile video sample to burn from as a test, same result.
d. Captured SD video direct to PD to bypass the Sony camera file download process. Same result.
e. Tried 3 different DVD players, and the DVD's are Sony Accucore out of the same pack that I've used to burn videos on in the past, so don't think the problem is at that end.

I really like the PD software, and hope to learn how to use it's full capability. Expect that I am missing something simple. Wouldn't be the first time. Any ideas are very welcome. Thank you.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Feb 21. 2013 17:06

[Post New]
What did you produce the file in? I just learned that some things can seriously be distorted (moving text in my case) by too high compression. It was suggested I produce in Mpeg4 at 1280 x 760 and it worked. So if you were not using that format and resolution, you might give it a try and see if it helps.

Also, I'm not sure what you meant by original image shortened in 4:3 format. It's my understanding that ratio does tighten up on the scene that way, by cutting off a bit on each side which is why my son in law much prefers movies in widescreen. You get a more of the scene on screen that way. Dustie
I'm still working on it....
cobweb77 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Sydney, Australia Joined: Jan 28, 2013 01:35 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try mpeg4 and see what happens. Your description of the 4:3 image on the TV is what I am getting, with a bit cut off each side of the 16:9 format, it's certainly not what should happen. I'll let you know how it goes.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: the DVD plays perfectly on the PC, but the image is stretched horizontally in 16:9 format on the TV. Switching to 4:3 format on the TV shows the correct height but with the original image shortened. There is no distortion of the image, it's just chopped each side.

G'day cobweb -

You're almost onto it.

From what you've described, the problem isn't the way PD made the DVD. It plays correctly on your PC. The issue is how the combination of (a) your DVD player & (b) your TV are reading it.

Your natural instinct was to check the TV setting, & I think you were right. Did you check the aspect ratio settings on your DVD player?

Similar things have happened when I've made discs for other people (even when I've checked the disc on my systems). It's usually corrected by a setting on the TV or player.

Cheers - Tony
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Folks,
After completing my first edit with PD Ultimate Suite and burning the project to a DVD, the DVD plays perfectly on the PC, but the image is stretched horizontally in 16:9 format on the TV. Switching to 4:3 format on the TV shows the correct height but with the original image shortened. There is no distortion of the image, it's just chopped each side.

SD files from Sony camcorder, this in standard DVD, use SVRT smart to choose the default view fits in MPEG HQ option, if yes and if you have up to 1 hour, your DVD var replicate the original pattern of the video, no problem reproduction has to do with the settings of the TV or DVD Player.
You can check. InfoEdit if the VOB is 16x9 format
I use SVRT whenever possible, in PD10 everything right in PD11 have problems,
cobweb77 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Firstly, thank you all for your consideration of my problem, I truly appreciate the help you've provided. Now for my humble confession. Tony, on this occasion you picked it first. It simply needed a reset of the DVD players; all 3 of them! Just lucky I guess but up to now they all played whatever DVD's I've put in them. The image is excellent, at least on 2 of them. On one player the image jumps or stutters slightly on a regular frequency. If you have any ideas on that please let me know, but I realise it's a bit outside the Cyberlink field. Again gentlemen, I thank you.
Reg
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Firstly, thank you all for your consideration of my problem, I truly appreciate the help you've provided. Now for my humble confession. Tony, on this occasion you picked it first. It simply needed a reset of the DVD players; all 3 of them! Just lucky I guess but up to now they all played whatever DVD's I've put in them. The image is excellent, at least on 2 of them. On one player the image jumps or stutters slightly on a regular frequency. If you have any ideas on that please let me know, but I realise it's a bit outside the Cyberlink field. Again gentlemen, I thank you.
Reg

Always use good quality media - Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim, Sony; not Memorex, not store brands.

Having said that, not all DVD players will paly home burned DVD perfectly. Usually the ones that don't are the higher quality ones.
Rosario56 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Italy Joined: Jan 23, 2012 04:15 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Coweb,

check the correct video standard of Your player, the jump You say happens usually when there is an uncorrect framerate on the video standard (about 29 fps for NTSC and 24 fps for PAL)
It happened to me using PD in capture mode with a 640x480 resolution in AVI (PAL) with an Avermedia card. The PD software, or the card driver, did not matched with this resolution giving me jumping footages, at regular intervals of 7-8 fps (hope it's clear...excuse me for my english)
DONALD K. [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 01, 2012 06:46 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Cobweb and all others involved - I believe this will SOLVE the problem for many others

I was also affected by the pulling or tearing of the bottom fifth of the TV screen. I too was really puzzled becaue the video was reproducing as intended on my PC. After looking at all the above responses I started trying them in a bid to rectify the annoying problem.
Nothing worked. The problem persisted.
I then went back to the beginning and looked at the source video as it was loaded into PD. (I right-clicked on the file in the PD library view and the drop down window gave the info as required). This showed the orginal video was MPEG-2 & was PAL at 25fps & that the resolution was 720x576. I figured that if I don't change any of these components, the output should be right.
Armed with this info I went to PD's 'Produce' button at the top of the screen and selected the MPEG-2 window and went to the ProfileName/Quality and selected DVD HQ 720X576 (because that matched my res.) and 50i 8Mbps.
It worked.
The final product appeared on my 46" flat panel LCD without any problems.
I hope this helps those who may be entering the world of video editing with PD.
I found this forum invaluable. While the suggestions that were posted didn't resolve the issues, they certainly helped me sort out solutions that didn't work for me and forced my to look elsewhere.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 20. 2013 00:20

[Post New]
Donald, so glad you narrowed it down. Working with video is a lot like being a detective or doing math..start with what is known and use it to narrow down the unknown.

Another one SOLVED! As someone asked me, I'll ask you...could you change the title of your original post here by adding SOLVED at the end. This could help others who might be searching the forum for answers to a similar problem.

As one of my favorite bands would sing... Another One Bites the Dust!

Good Luck with future projects.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 19. 2013 23:05

Dustie
I'm still working on it....