Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I don't understand,my oem 7.3 will not output dolby digital?
marktheshark [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 09, 2008 14:06 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I bought this pc ONLY because of the HD/BD drive and it had Power DVD Ultra
7.3.3516.0.0 all ready installed.I have been trying for 2 weeks now to get digital out to my Onkyo Receiver through the HDMI out put on the ati HD2400XT video card.It says it will play 5.1 up to 7.1.I read in a different post that this version that comes preinstalled will not play nothing but stereo or virtual surround.IS this true? If it is then I was took because I was told it would send digital 5.1 out.I hope someone from Cyberlink will respond. PC Specs GM 5664,AMD Phenom 9600 quad core processor 2.3Ghz,3600 fbs,3Gb's ramVista Home Premium,HD 2400XT GPU 256mbs memory,HL-DT-ST BDHDDVDRW GGC-H20N multi drive,PDVD Ultra 7.3 and 8.0 2nd PC Dell 3100 2005 MCE,2gb's ram Nvidia 6200 video card,Lg burn
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
This is another one of those situations, where you have failed to research the product before buying.

PowerDVD 7.3 will output in Dolby digital 2 speaker mode only, this is an OEM product and is not therefore a full version, the version comparrison charts do make that quite clear.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Look at the version comparrison for Power DVD

http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/products/compare_33_ENU.html

Robert

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Mar 09. 2008 18:54

Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
marktheshark [Avatar]
[Post New]
no sir I was told buy the salesman at Best Buy all these things.I did not investagate any further but that would not of stopped me from buying this pc anyway.,The dvi to hdmi on my HD 2400xt video dard will not send out 5.1 only with a digital hookup.From the link you sent all the pdvd ultra ver will only decode in 2 channel.Can"t we get a upgrade for sound only?
PC Specs GM 5664,AMD Phenom 9600 quad core processor 2.3Ghz,3600 fbs,3Gb's ramVista Home Premium,HD 2400XT GPU 256mbs memory,HL-DT-ST BDHDDVDRW GGC-H20N multi drive,PDVD Ultra 7.3 and 8.0 2nd PC Dell 3100 2005 MCE,2gb's ram Nvidia 6200 video card,Lg burn
Tom [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 20, 2008 05:58 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
marktheshark, if you haven't done so already you should update your High Definition Audio driver to "ATI HDMI Audio Device Driver R1.68" (note this is made by Realtek, but don't let that put you off). You can download it here:

ftp://61.56.86.122/pc/audio/HDMI_R168.exe

Then go into Sound applet in your Control Panel and click the "Supported Formats" tab. Make sure Dolby Digital and DTS and ticked.
marktheshark [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: marktheshark, if you haven't done so already you should update your High Definition Audio driver to "ATI HDMI Audio Device Driver R1.68" (note this is made by Realtek, but don't let that put you off). You can download it here:

ftp://61.56.86.122/pc/audio/HDMI_R168.exe

Then go into Sound applet in your Control Panel and click the "Supported Formats" tab. Make sure Dolby Digital and DTS and ticked.

I did do that but that did not help,plus I updated my graphics driver and the control center to 8.3.After doing so the color was real bad(way to red)and the sound was bad also.I rolled the ati hdmi driver back to the Microsoft one and the sound was ok then,just no 5.1.But the other guy who post to this thread said that my version does not do 5.1 anyway,only 2 channel.Hey thanks though,I believe I will go back to the drivers that came with this pc for the video card,the picture was fine then,I updated for other reasons that did not matter.Cheers!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 10. 2008 17:28

marktheshark [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: This is another one of those situations, where you have failed to research the product before buying.

PowerDVD 7.3 will output in Dolby digital 2 speaker mode only, this is an OEM product and is not therefore a full version, the version comparrison charts do make that quite clear.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Look at the version comparrison for Power DVD

http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/products/compare_33_ENU.html

Robert

I do not see a chart to compare the version I have with any others.Mine does say"Power DVD Ultra" In blue letters scrolling across the bottom right it reads,"Power DVD BD+HD 6CH" so far I have checked and everything seems the same.Take a look at the attached files please and tell me what you think,It's a bummer that it says 6 channels and doesn't do it,you agree?
 Filename
pdvd.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
26 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
20 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 10. 2008 18:22

PC Specs GM 5664,AMD Phenom 9600 quad core processor 2.3Ghz,3600 fbs,3Gb's ramVista Home Premium,HD 2400XT GPU 256mbs memory,HL-DT-ST BDHDDVDRW GGC-H20N multi drive,PDVD Ultra 7.3 and 8.0 2nd PC Dell 3100 2005 MCE,2gb's ram Nvidia 6200 video card,Lg burn
Tom [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 20, 2008 05:58 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Mark, your version is fine, it SHOULD work. Your PowerDVD audio settings should be set to "Use S/PDIF". Why is this? Because you need to pass-through the compressed multi-channel audio stream to your Onkyo where it will be decoded, i.e. you do NOT need PowerDVD to do any decoding. Even the basic versions of PowerDVD can do this.

S/PDIF is limited to 5.1 standard Dolby Digital and DTS, that is the best you will get with audio via HDMI from your HD2400XT. If you want HD Audio of 7.1 channels or more, then you will need to use discrete analogue cables instead.