Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Capture voice feature not working?
Daniel2013 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 08, 2013 08:39 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
I currently have the trial version of powerdirector. Is this feature suppose to be not working with the trial version or am I missing something here? I have saved a screeshot of what I see when I click on the tab "Capture" from the powerdirector screen. I can click on the "Record" button and it will start recording something, but i cannot stop it, and it creates a wav file as specified in the folder, but the file is empty.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 08. 2013 08:58

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
If you have a screen shot, please post it.

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Daniel2013 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Screeshot attached, sorry about that
[Thumb - powerdirector11-capture-screenshot.png]
 Filename
powerdirector11-capture-screenshot.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
150 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
195 time(s)
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Screeshot attached, sorry about that

Sorry but the resolution on that screen short is pretty bad. I think that you have the Microphone selected but I can't really read that. What mic is it - a USb mic or one plugged into your soulnd card/ I can't see what audio quality you are recording to. That yellow line showing input should be higher.

If you right click on the audio file. How large is it? It may be recorded but may not be loud enough. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Daniel2013 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, the microfone in the screenshot was, in fact, selected and it is a usb mic. As far as the file size, there are two .wav files and they are both the same size (4.00 kb) even though they each should have been recorded at different durations. Once I click the record button, it continues to record and I can see the statistics of the recording i.e. file size and duration, but there is no way of stoping it. In fact, I can't go back to "Edit" or any other page in the program and there is no way of closing the program entirely. so, I have to use task manager to close out the program. Then, I go to the file import folder and find the .wav file that was created of the exact same size always.
Hope my description of the situation is clear enough.
stevek
[Post New]
Daniel, Were there drivers that came with that mic? Did they get installed properly (before you plugged in the mic) and do you have the settings in Windows set properly? What USB mic do you have - Make and complete model number.

Incorrect or default drivers COULD be part of the issue. Since it is a USB device, make sure you plug it into a USB port on the back of your computer (if a desktop). Front USB ports sometimes do not have enough power to properly drive a USB device. Do not use a HUB Some USB devices in the past would not even allow you to shut down the computer.

Look at the mic icon at the bottom of you tool bar and right click on the speaker. Select recording devices and see if the microphone is listed there and selected. Right click and select properties. There are several adjustments there that you can make including the volume.

I'm sure that you know about the above so it is just a reminder for you to check. If you just bought the mic, see if you can return it and buy one that plugs into your audio card (line in). They are more foolproof.
Daniel2013 [Avatar]
[Post New]
The mic works, it is there listed in task bar if I click on the speaker icon and I use it regularly for skype calls, btw ... it is a generic brand plug-n-play ... other ideas?
stevek
[Post New]
Quote: The mic works, it is there listed in task bar if I click on the speaker icon and I use it regularly for skype calls, btw ... it is a generic brand plug-n-play ... other ideas?

Jeeze guys, why is it so hard to post the information on the microphone

Does Skype take full control over the microphone? Make sure skype is not running when you try to record. You may want to try removing Skype temporarily just to see if the mic works then.

I know one video editing program (not cyberlink) that wouldn't do any audio and frequently crashed when Skype was operational. .
Daniel2013 [Avatar]
[Post New]
For starters, what exactly are you talking about
Jeeze guys, why is it so hard to post the information on the microphone
In case you didn't get the word, I did say
it is a generic brand plug-n-play
... meaning: there is no make or model number nor drivers. Because, it is "plug-n-play"

This business with the microphone ... I don't recall there ever being anything saying anything about using a particular type and/or brand of mic in conjunction with PowerDirector when I purchased it. Yet, this is essentially what you are telling me? if that's the case, which is the best mic to use along side PowerDirector?

Let me explain a little something about my stance with this software and its company. Since having purchased PowerDirector THE FIRST TIME, I have had nothing but problems with it. Made at least half a dozen attempts to download unsuccessfully getting error messages like "file corrupted" or "file invalid". Made more than several inquires to support only to have them basically reply with the same message everytime "here is your download link, please try again". See attachment w/ message in PDF format

I finally was able to download the trial version successfully and I am now waiting for the trial period to end so I can implement the key to get the full benefits of the program. I am also having problems with login crudentials where I attempt to login to the Cyberlink members area after having submitted for new password and username only to receive message "password & username invalid"
I purchased a second time; because, I had the trial version downloaded and I wanted to click on the purchase link to see; if I made the purchase now, would it allow me to register the product with my key so I could enjoy the full version since I already had the software downloaded and, to this point, had been fed up with enduring hour upon hour of waiting for download only to find out right at the very end of the download "download failed "

So, is there a solution to this insulting issue?
 Filename
support ticket.pdf
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
61 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
326 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 10. 2013 05:07

stevek
[Post New]
Where was all that in your first post here? You start with a mic issue and now dump. You dump on me for trying to help.
Eu não entendi

Did you contact "Asknet.com" for your refund?

Where did you get the information that you could activate the trial version. Whom ever told you that was wrong. Did you ask before buying.

You are probably angry with me because I asked a question that you thought was irrelevant. I assure you it was not. Apparently the microphone was bought as just the microphone with no box, trademark, etc. I never said that you couldn't use a microphone with PD; but there are sometimes issues with the mic and Windows/USB. Did you look on line (Google) for that microphone for anyone complaining about it?

Now you are really going to be angry. I think you have issues with your computer that lead to the problems with the program.

My advice, should you care to try it. Download the free trial of Revo Uninstaller Pro and remove all the versions of Power Director you see. It will list all programs -- fully installed or not. You may have to use "force uninstallL for the partially installed programs. Use the Moderate Mode. While you have Revo open, use it to get rid of other programs you don't use. Reboot. Get rid of all junk files including temp and tmp (CCleaner is free and good; don't use the registry cleaner). Defrag your hard drive. Reboot, turn off your anti-virus (if you are worried, turn off your internet also.) Now try to install the downloaded full version and activate that. If that doesn't work, the issue may be picnic so get someone to help.

I invite others to chime in here and offer other advice.

Eu não quero mais saber

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 10. 2013 07:46

Daniel2013 [Avatar]
[Post New]
de onde veio tanta raiva? eu estava falando com calma rapaz. Só quero saber se tiver solução disso
Daniel2013 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Is there anyone else here who KNOWS how to solve this problem, or is this over everyone's head?
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Daniel,

Not sure if this will be much help, but I do VOs all the time. However, I use a regular mic, not a USB mic. The same mic I use for Skype.

But when recording with my mic, I don’t open the Capture room. I use the Voice Over Room (the mic icon on the left side of the main screen) in PD. And I ensure that the “Device Setting” is pointed to the mic, and not “stereo mix” for instance.

I have also noticed that on my desktop that I have to set the Recording Volume to Maximum. Yet I still get a very weak input signal, which I need to boost via WaveEditor in post production.
I notice that in your screen capture that the input volume slider is set very low.

However, doing the same thing with same mic in my PD11 on my laptop, I actually need to turn my input volume down.
I am guessing that my laptop input serves as, or has a built-in pre-amp boost at the mic input, that my desktop doesn’t?
And I know a few other members here who do use a USB mic successfully. Perhaps they’ll chime in.

I know this isn’t of much help to you, but both my Capture and VO rooms work OK on both rigs, with a lapel mic I got on Ebay. They were 3 mics for $5 plus shipping.
If interested, a VO example recorded in PD11’s VO Room (with one of these $1.50 mics), is available here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugkSg7G-6DE

If you can try a standard mic, with the Settings set properly, and with the input signal maxed, and still don't get a signal, then a clean re-install of your PD would probably be the first course of action to take. Done it many times over the years.
I wouldn't think it's an audio driver issue if the mic works in other applications. But I'm not a tech guy, so I'll let others comment on that.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
RonH
Contributor Location: Norway (from Australia) Joined: Sep 05, 2011 10:13 Messages: 364 Offline
[Post New]
I had a problem with a USB mic ... will this help?
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/25806.page CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)
Someone famous once said: "We only have the 4th dimension of 'time' so that everything does not all happen at once"
Daniel2013 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Alright guys, I'll try the two solutions and then get back to you if either works. I appreciate the help much
Daniel2013 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Daniel,

Not sure if this will be much help, but I do VOs all the time. However, I use a regular mic, not a USB mic. The same mic I use for Skype.

But when recording with my mic, I don’t open the Capture room. I use the Voice Over Room (the mic icon on the left side of the main screen) in PD. And I ensure that the “Device Setting” is pointed to the mic, and not “stereo mix” for instance.

I have also noticed that on my desktop that I have to set the Recording Volume to Maximum. Yet I still get a very weak input signal, which I need to boost via WaveEditor in post production.
I notice that in your screen capture that the input volume slider is set very low.

However, doing the same thing with same mic in my PD11 on my laptop, I actually need to turn my input volume down.
I am guessing that my laptop input serves as, or has a built-in pre-amp boost at the mic input, that my desktop doesn’t?
And I know a few other members here who do use a USB mic successfully. Perhaps they’ll chime in.

I know this isn’t of much help to you, but both my Capture and VO rooms work OK on both rigs, with a lapel mic I got on Ebay. They were 3 mics for $5 plus shipping.
If interested, a VO example recorded in PD11’s VO Room (with one of these $1.50 mics), is available here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugkSg7G-6DE

If you can try a standard mic, with the Settings set properly, and with the input signal maxed, and still don't get a signal, then a clean re-install of your PD would probably be the first course of action to take. Done it many times over the years.
I wouldn't think it's an audio driver issue if the mic works in other applications. But I'm not a tech guy, so I'll let others comment on that.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Yeah, it appears that the voice over room works, so, unless I run into any other snags, I'll go with that for now. Once again, appreciate the help!
Daniel2013 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Is there a type of mic the vo won't work with? like say... one of the plug in jack types? - non-usb. Still shooting blanks here

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 14. 2013 13:32

Dave456
Senior Member Location: Youngstown, Ohio Joined: Oct 30, 2010 06:46 Messages: 280 Offline
[Post New]
Hi daniel2013,

Can you supply some info about your computer, maybe others will look into this further, version of PowerDirector, and maybe a DXdiag file from your computer, info's here A and B please.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

Dave HP Envy 17
Win10 Pro (64-bit) Intel i7 Core - 4510U @ 2.00GHz 2.60GHz
16GB ram
PowerDirector 11 Ultra 64-bit ver. 11.0.0.3625
Cyberlink Power2Go Deluxe 7.0.0.1827
PowerShot SX40HS
Canon Vixia
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Is there a type of mic the vo won't work with? like say... one of the plug in jack types? - non-usb. Still shooting blanks here

Yes, there are some mics, that do not work in Windows. If the mic is one that requires phantom voltage greater than is supplied by your computer sound card, you will not have sound from that mic.

As far as I know all dynamic mics will work. And condenser mics that have their own power supply.

You may have to configure the mic input on your computers sound card to get sound.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Daniel2013 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi daniel2013,

Can you supply some info about your computer, maybe others will look into this further, version of PowerDirector, and maybe a DXdiag file from your computer, info's here A and B please.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

Dave

I am currently using PowerDirector 11 trial v.11.0.0.2418, but I paid for a license for powerdirector 11 ultra. Having said that, is the trial version the same as ultra - fully functional - or am I missing features with the trial version?