Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
CR2 files incorrect color rendition
DJTP [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 16, 2009 15:55 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

I have a retail copy of PhotoDirector 4 Ultra (PhD4) version 4.0.3707.0. Raw CR2 files from my Canon G15 show up as gold-ish/yellow-ish in PhD4. The same CR2 files are displayed fine in Windows Explorer and Photo Gallery on Windows 7 64-bit. Please see attachments.

Can someone suggest a solution?

Thanks.
DJTP
[Thumb - CR2.jpg]
 Filename
CR2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Snip of the CR2 version as displayed inside PhD4
 Filesize
75 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
345 time(s)
[Thumb - expected.jpg]
 Filename
expected.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Snip of the jpg version
 Filesize
44 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
311 time(s)
 Filename
IMG_1638.CR2
[Disk]
 Description
Actual CR2 file
 Filesize
15619 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
361 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 03. 2013 00:10

[Post New]
Hello DJTP,

I can definitely confirm that RAW (.CR2) files from the Canon G15 are not displaying correctly in PhD4.0.3707.0 I used other sample files I have. Downloading via the forum is - well - slow.

Oddly, my camera is a Canon 500D which shoots .CR2 format too. RAW files from mine display properly. Yet, they're the same format! I'll pursue the problem with CyberLink.

In the meantime, to enable the use of your .CR2 files from the G15, you may consider downloading some free software which will convert your cameras files to .DNG format. They will display correctly in PhD4. Batch conversion of whole folders of images is quick & painless.

I know it's not ideal. I'm only suggesting this as an interim measure. If you choose to do this, please be advised that the 7.2 version will not convert the files from your G15. You'd need to download the 7.3 release version... just tested - all good.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=5519&fileID=5528

You can be assured that I'll pass this issue on to CL R&D. I know they'll be keen to correct it.

PIX
[Thumb - Canon G15 CR2 DNG.png]
 Filename
Canon G15 CR2 DNG.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
340 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2002 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 03. 2013 01:37

PIX YouTube channel
Bjørn Tore [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 10, 2010 08:44 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same problem with a new canon sx50hs... May this have somthing to do with the new digit5 processor in thes cameras?

Hoping for a fix soon...

Bjorn Tore
[Post New]
Hello Bjørn Tore,

You may well be correct about the DIGIC 5 processor, though I'm not acquainted with the details.

Using some sample files from the Canon SX50 HS, I confirmed what you're seeing. PhotoDirector isn't reading the colours correctly.

Unfortunately, the DNG Converter "solution" doesn't work too well in this case. Over saturated colours!

Thank you for pointing this out Bjørn. I'll pass it on to R&D.

PIX
[Thumb - Canon SX50HS.jpg]
 Filename
Canon SX50HS.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
253 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2078 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 31. 2013 17:55

PIX YouTube channel
Bjørn Tore [Avatar]
[Post New]
Have you gotten any feedback from R&D?
I really hope for a quick fix on this one, if not I'll ditch Cyberlink and go for Adobe instead...

[Post New]
Hello Bjørn,

No answer yet from CL R&D. I wouldn't expect an instant fix on this one because the issue would affect many cameras. The Taiwan office is closed today (public holiday), but I'll check in on Monday to see if there's likely to be any progress in the immediate future.

I can tell you that CL is anxious to correct the problem... whether that will be quickly enough for you is another question.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Bjorn

If you have a need to work withe the Canon files in another format (for the present) you could use the Canon cr2 converter. It is here:
Sorry, it is for older operating systems. There should be one for the more recent operating systems. I'll look for it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 07. 2013 12:43

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
[Post New]
The CR2s can be converted to JPEG easily in Canon's own Digital Photo Professional - the 3.13.0.1 version (which also renders colours from the RAW files correctly)

BUT conversion doesn't allow the user to edit the RAW image.

Bjørn - will post here as soon as I hear any news from CL.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Bjørn Tore [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank's, I really appreciate your efforts.
I'll wait a bit before I jump on the Adobe train then :

Bjørn Tore [Avatar]
[Post New]
My Lightroom trial is about to end....
Any news from Cyberlink yet? Or does this problem not affect enough people to get the needed priority from Cyberlink maybe?
[Post New]
Sorry - no news yet, I'm afraid.

Hopefully, it will be corrected in the next patch - but I don't know when that will be.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Knighfal76 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Oslo, Norway Joined: May 02, 2013 10:42 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Patch released :

http://www.cyberlink.com/support/photodirector-ultra/patches_en_US.html
Bjørn Tore [Avatar]
[Post New]
Nope, this patch makes raw from my canon sx50hs go purple..
F#ck, looks like I'll have to go the adobe way.
Knighfal76 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Oslo, Norway Joined: May 02, 2013 10:42 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
sx50hs is not listed in the fix list. But PS G15 is. So hopefully the other users issue is solved.
Bjørn Tore [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yup, hopefully they are.
Sorry for hijacking the thread :-/
[Post New]
Hello Bjørn,

No need to apologise. Incompatibility with different cameras is related.

Disappointingly, I have to confirm that the issue with SX50HS RAW files hasn't been fixed correctly. Extreme purple! I can well understand your response.

PIX

[Thumb - CanonSX50HS_3929.jpg]
 Filename
CanonSX50HS_3929.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
222 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1255 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 02. 2013 16:32

PIX YouTube channel
Bjørn Tore [Avatar]
[Post New]
A month now without any updates for the sx50
Guy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 09, 2013 08:06 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Just got a free copy of version 3 and RAW files from Canon 5D3 initially appear fine but then as they get indexed, they turn pink! When opened they all have a pink colourcast.

I appreciate it was free but wonder why the thumbnails look briefly okay and then change colour!
[Post New]
Hello Guy,

PhD3 does not render CR2 files from the Canon 5D MkIII correctly, even with the latest patch applied. I can't explain the technicalities of why the CR2 file initially appears as it should, then turns pink.

The issue has been corrected in PhD4.

Bjørn - We're still waiting on updates!

PIX
[Thumb - 5D3_CR2.jpg]
 Filename
5D3_CR2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
141 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1151 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 09. 2013 18:13

PIX YouTube channel
samuel61 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 08, 2015 08:24 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hii, you are facing the problem because the cr2 image file has gone corrupted and needs to be repaired. you can look for any copy of the image file but when it is not available your can use a recovery tool. You can get more information about this when you visit : LINK REMOVED (PIX)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 08. 2015 16:40