Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Problems with Windows 8 ***SOLVED***
tlb27 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 24, 2009 07:32 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Hi folks,
I have a brand new Dell XPS 8500, brand new as in like been running for 2 weeks, have had no problems with any other software installs or usage on this machine, she runs like a champ. Particulars:
3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3770
12 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 7770
Windows 8 64 bit

Familiar with previous versions of PD, decided to go with PD11 for this machine.

I pulled some video files off of some dvds that I made with PD9. Brought these clips in (they were of my kids football games), each around 15-17 minutes long. Added titles, chapters, did the menus, added my own music tracs etc. and burned a dvd. Every thing works great.
I then had the last 3 games that were a little too long to put all three on one dvd, so I decided to do a little editing and cut some of the fat out, trying to shorten them up a little so as to squeeze them all on one disk. I created a new project, imported one of the clips in question in and started to edit. What I'll do is put a put a "split" in right at the beginning of a scene that I want to get rid of, another split at the end of what I'd like to get rid of and then get rid of the clip that I don't want. I was able to get in about 13 splits before this thing started to crash. I noticed that with each split the program gradually got slower and slower to respond until finally it just hangs up and crashes. Doesn't crash the machine, just get the message that "PD is not responding" and then I get the option of "End Now" or wait.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 09. 2013 13:19

kingsmeadow
Senior Member Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Dec 06, 2011 11:52 Messages: 179 Offline
[Post New]
I tried a experiment in Win 8 64 and Win 7 64 and didn't have a problem as you describe. Not sure that helps you ...I assume you have all the updates installed ? Intel Core i7 3770K 3.6 Ghz,
GTX 680, 2 X Benq23 3D monitors,
6G DDR3, Win 7 64, Win 10 (Insider) 64
PCIE SSD, Intel Sata SSD 2 500 Gbyte Seagate,
Minoru 3D WebCam, NVIDIA 3D Vision-Ready
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
I did the Win8 beta for 3 months and PD11 ran fine. Yes... make sure yo have all the latest updates. Video updates from manufacturer NOT windows update. latest quicktime update. __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
tlb27 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, I tried the PD updates to no avail. In the middle of an uninstall/reinstall at the moment. Once I've reinstalled, I will again do the updates and then check on my Quicktime updates as well.

In the meanwhile, I got tired of trying to use the "split" method, like clockwork, as soon I hit 12-13 splits, it slows down. I mean it takes like 5-7 seconds from the time I click on a command until it actually executes the command. So I decided that I would try the "trim" method. Don't think this freaking thing is working either. I can click the "in" and the "out" marks highlighting what I want to keep. It seems to work, biggest problem is that once I get 3 or more clips marked, no matter what I do, it starts playing at clip 2. If I grab the slider and move it to where I would like for it to start playing and hit play, it will automatically start playing at clip 2. If I fast forward it, it seems to work just great, until I let go of the fast forward button and it goes right back to clip 2. No matter what I do, it will only play starting at clip 2 and work it's way forward from there.

Any ideas before I request a refund?
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
You may have a new computer but that does not mean you won't have problems video editing with PD11.

Having no idea what your computer specs are we can only :guess" at best why it bogs downs. The most common cause is not enough computer, RAM, or disc space... if you have one of those 60 gig ssd drives your going to have problems...... __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi folks,
I have a brand new Dell XPS 8500, brand new as in like been running for 2 weeks, have had no problems with any other software installs or usage on this machine, she runs like a champ. Particulars:
3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3770
12 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 7770
Windows 8 64 bit

It sounds like you are slowly running out for memory or free space.

For us to have a better idea of the condition of your computer, Post the information.

Part A and Part B
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/24771.page

I know you said the computer is new, for Powerdirector 11 that does not make any difference. What makes a difference is the actual condition of the computer.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 05. 2013 14:09

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

Just a thought until you post your dxdiag file - are the DVD files on your hard drive or the DVD Drive?

Ensure you copy the two folders (Video & Audio) on your DVD onto your C Drive. Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

tlb27 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi all, thank you for the replies. I tried to post the file as text in a reply here, not sure if that is the correct way to do this, but it won't take. I get a button popping up on the forum that just says saving.

I'll try and post this tomorrow from another machine with access to more bandwidth.

thank you
tlb27 [Avatar]
[Post New]
This is a screen shot from me running dxdiag showing that I don't have the option of selecting the 64 bit:
[Thumb - snapshot.jpg]
 Filename
snapshot.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
166 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
220 time(s)
tlb27 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok, got the text file zipped up this time and attached. As far as "Part A":

SR#: VDE 130107-01

Is this what you folks are looking for?

I'm thinking as well that this might be a RAM issue. As I stated earlier, it starts out fine and gets progressively worse. I'm not a computer "nuts and bolts" guy. Is there a way to direct my machine and tell it where I would like for it to concentrate on "spending" it's RAM?

Can't thank you folks enough...
 Filename
tlb27DxDiag.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
11 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
597 time(s)
kingsmeadow
Senior Member Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Dec 06, 2011 11:52 Messages: 179 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Ok, got the text file zipped up this time and attached. As far as "Part A":

SR#: VDE 130107-01

Is this what you folks are looking for?

I'm thinking as well that this might be a RAM issue. As I stated earlier, it starts out fine and gets progressively worse. I'm not a computer "nuts and bolts" guy. Is there a way to direct my machine and tell it where I would like for it to concentrate on "spending" it's RAM?

Can't thank you folks enough...

I wondered about a ram issue as well,, however it does seem you have plenty and the overall spec looks quite good to me. I wonder if it's worth doing a ram test to see if your ram is all working ? There is something not right here. I have a Win 8 setup and it all works perfectly, and in fact some options better than Win 7. Intel Core i7 3770K 3.6 Ghz,
tlb27 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Kings, is there any way that you could tell me how to do a ram test? Again, not a "nuts and bolts" guy...
Thank you
tlb27
kingsmeadow
[Post New]
Quote: Kings, is there any way that you could tell me how to do a ram test? Again, not a "nuts and bolts" guy...
Thank you
tlb27

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57342679-285/how-to-test-your-ram-in-windows/

That link has the info on how to download a ram test utility. You need to make a bootable cd from that in Win 8 and then boot from the cd to do the test. try that and tell us what happened. Intel Core i7 3770K 3.6 Ghz,
tlb27 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm just about ready to throw this thing outside and see how well it does with the 12" of snow coming my way. I tried to get the ram utility installed, no go. I first tried the USB method, changed the boot order behind the scenes, goes straight to windows. Had to download a ISO burning program to try the CD/DVD method, burned the image, don't have the option to boot from CD/DVD in bios.
Calling Dell tomorrow, will explain all this and see what they can come up with.

I did manage to run the windows version of a memory check and it came back clear...

Thank you for trying to help me with this, I'm trying to help 5 of my football players out by making highlight DVD of them and getting them out to scouts, gotta get this thing figured out.......will post what I learn from Dell...
kingsmeadow
[Post New]
Quote: don't have the option to boot from CD/DVD in bios.
Calling Dell tomorrow, will explain all this and see what they can come up with.
..will post what I learn from Dell...

I never heard of a system that couldn't boot from CD...but as your test showed no problems with the ram test you did, I think your right in trying to get this sorted with Dell. I have lots of pals using Dell and they all seemed ok, but I don't think anyone of them used PD11. Let's hope for a positive outcome. As a matter of interest what Version of Win 8 is this ? Intel Core i7 3770K 3.6 Ghz,
kingsmeadow
[Post New]
tlb27,,while you are waiting I wonder if you could try this ...open task manger and select Performance. This graphic will show you how your resources are being used during any operation. Then open PD11 and do your splits and watch this task manger and see what happens. I just did a quick experiment using split and my memory started at 15% and never moved ! I would be very interested to know what yours does. Intel Core i7 3770K 3.6 Ghz,
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

This was posted sometime ago about Dell's.

It may help

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/17598.page Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

tlb27 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok folks, problem solved. I spent close to 3 hours on the phone yesterday with a great Dell tech who helped me figure it out. There were no issues with my machine what-so-ever. This was a Power Director problem.

When I started out on this project, I told PD 11 to import video files from a DVD that was originally made with PD 9 on another machine a while back. PD 11 imported the media as a VOB. Once I had the files imported, I would drag the VOB down on the timeline and start to edit, until it got slower and slower, finally freezing up and stopping.

I decided to run device manager while working in PD 11 since device manager will give you the low down on the % of CPU, Memory and Disk usage and you can sit there and monitor it. I noticed that as PD 11 got slower and slower, the Disk usage would go up to 99% when PD 11 would finally stop working.

After much trial and error, the tech decided that PD 11 was either having a problem with the size of the file, or the format of the file. We decided to have PD 11 produce an AVI out of the original VOB, not only changing the format, but also increasing the size of the file by 4 times. I then brought the AVI into PD 11 and could make as many splits in the video as I wanted, at one point going over 40 whereas before it would stop working at 13 splits.

So evidently PD 11 has some problems when trying to edit a VOB file.

Thank you so much for all of the help and advice and the timely replies.
I'll be posting more questions in the future, actually one here in just a few minutes.

Again, thanks a million

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 09. 2013 13:34

[Post New]
Quote: Ok folks, problem solved. I spent close to 3 hours on the phone yesterday with a great Dell tech who helped me figure it out. There were no issues with my machine what-so-ever. This was a Power Director problem.
Again, thanks a million

Just a question, you added file. VOB from disk (Import files) or first copy VOB to HD a folder on your PC, here I ask because many editions, direct at (. VOB) created on desktop recorder I have no problems.
First I make a copy to HD, DVD Shrink Use the option that generates a single file.
Response based on PD10, PD11 In neither checked this option to import disk. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:

So evidently PD 11 has some problems when trying to edit a VOB file.

Again, thanks a million

Now that you mention this, I was playing with a VOB file the other day and had some similar issues. I didn't pay much attention to it at the time because I was just screwing around with something. I may take a second look and see if I can reproduce the same results. Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.