Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Extra overlays
Bobby31 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 05, 2013 02:19 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
I'm looking for a timer that I can use in a video. I found one in the forum here but I have to crop it and it has a black background on it. Wondering if their is a way I can just use the timer without cropping it. Also I am looking for a speedometer to lay over a current video to see the speed of something. Without getting to technical I wouldn't imagine of using the real speed but i'm looking for something of a speedometer look. Is their a website for any of these other add ons that I can download from?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bobby -

At PDtoots we made some timers after subscribers requested them. They are available in 360p & 720p ranging from 1 minute to 20 minutes.

They are white text on black background, so chroma keying out the background works quite well. Cropping is easy in any case.

Speedometer? Are you looking for a traditional one with a circular face or something more digital & funky? I don't have any on tap, but it wouldn't be too hard to do.

Send me a PM if you're interested.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Bobby -

Sppedometer - If you're happy to chroma key out the black background, this might work for you http://youtu.be/neEqSfQccf8

You can download it in 1080p.

Cheers - Tony
Bobby31 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here is one picture that is in the video I am currently making. Something along these lines is what I would be looking for a speedometer.
[Thumb - 400858_614726937193_1465596183_n.jpg]
 Filename
400858_614726937193_1465596183_n.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
11 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
118 time(s)
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Bobby -

The perspective style speedo with the flames spewing out would be a bit of a challenge! Doable, but challenging to get it to look good.
- the meter/markers section could be a simple graphic overlay (example & in situ image attached)
- the moving needle would need to be done as an animation
- the flames could be added with a particle effect

... or you could aim at something less adventurous & save yourself a day's work!

Thanks for your PM about applying chroma key to time codes & meters. This little tutorial shows the basics... http://youtu.be/-juX124DIDc

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - speedometer.png]
 Filename
speedometer.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
16 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
104 time(s)
[Thumb - Speedo Overlay (in vid).png]
 Filename
Speedo Overlay (in vid).png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
455 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
130 time(s)

Bobby31 [Avatar]
[Post New]
How would you go about making the actual needle as an animation?
ynotfish
[Post New]
How long do you have?

Bobby - on a straight on dial (circle) it's reasonably straightforward, because the size & shape of the needle can stay the same.

With the perspective dial you're after, it's a fair bit more complex because the needle will change length, thickness & direction.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 23. 2013 00:00

Bobby31 [Avatar]
[Post New]
What would the easiest way to do this be then? I guess it doesn't have to be extremely complex, it can be a simple speedometer.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Bobby -

I didn't mean to be unhelpful back there... it's just that it's a complex question... & that fiery speedo you were after made it more so!

1. The simplest way to do it is to overlay a video clip of a speedo (like in that little tutorial)... you could extend the duration by copying & pasting different sections.

2. Another reasonably simple way would be to use a horizontal bar moving over a numbered grid... imagine this sort of thing (made for a yoga instructor!) with numbers & moving faster & more erratically http://youtu.be/iR5Lui70-So - that was done with a series of colour boards

3. Another possibility is to convert an animated gif (of a speedo) to video format so you can use it in PD... again, copy & paste to extend duration

4. You can also take an animated gif and split it into individual frames - then the frames (multiplied & re-ordered) can be laid over the video (getting trickier to do) Examples of how to do that can be seen in this toot... http://youtu.be/GQvhfhN3IPs?t=4m48s

N.B. 1-4 above would all give you a face-on view of the speedo. Each of them could have particle effects applied to add a little zap.

5. Achieving what you originally wanted would be quite complex & you might need a graphic design course under your belt to conquer it.

Me? I'd rather do something simpler that does the job. Maybe that's an age thing!

Cheers - Tony
ynotfish
[Post New]
Bobby -

To give you a bit of an idea, I just made a short (10 seconds) example of option4 (above) by:
1. Grabbing an animated gif of a speedo
2. Splitting it into separate frames
3. Importing the frames into PD
4. Mixing & matching on the timeline to make the needle wobble about - with a fair bit of copying & pasting
- the frames range in duration from 00:00:00:02 to 00:00:00:15

The timeline looks like this

Produced file is attached - just ignore the fact that the speedo has a Ferrari logo & the SFX is a Harley!

I made none of it. All I did was cut up and re-assemble someone's graphics... & that took a solid half an hour. That's why I'd go for option 1.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Speedo_Animation.png]
 Filename
Speedo_Animation.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
161 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
363 time(s)
 Filename
SpeedoAnimation.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
515 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
252 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 23. 2013 03:38

Bobby31 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Appreciate all the help!!