Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Freeze when playing reversed video (PD11)
[Post New]
PowerDirector 11 freezes when I reverse clip in Timeline.
I wonder what to do. I've read about this in an old forum (PD Eight), and the following information was given. I hope this could give a pointer to what my problem could be: Below you'll find the same information for MY problem and PC

1. The version is PowerDirector Ultra 11.0.0.2418
2. The file type is *.MTS (AVCHD), File size=47 MB.
3. The problem happens with any file i try to play in reverse in the timeline.
4. When i say freezes i mean it totally stops working and i have to hit "control, alt, delete" to bring the task manager up and shut it down that way.

Enable OpenCL technology to speed up video effect preview/render NOT CHECKED
Enable hardware decoding CHECKED

6. About PC:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2,20GHz
Ram: 8 GB
64 bit
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1
Free disc space = 360GB

Thanks!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 21. 2013 17:28

Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Can you upload this clip as an attachment and see if other members in the forum experience the same thing? Use the "attachment" button in your next post.

This will help narrow down what the problem might be. Just a thought.

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 21. 2013 17:02

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
[Post New]
Thank's for responding.

I could do that (upload the clip), but this is a problem whenever I use
- Power Tools and
- Video in reverse

It is not about this one clip, it is everytime I reverse a clip. Any clip.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 21. 2013 17:30

Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
That's interesting. Any clip using the reverse will cause a problem.

Can you post a DxDiag ? This would be helpful.

Kevin
[Post New]
Hope the attached file is what you are after.

Filename
1301212343_DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag
 Filesize
40 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
338 time(s)
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Thanks for the DxDiag file.

Can you reverse even the sample nature clip?

Your card has 64MB dedicated memory. Not sure if that is sufficient. Maybe someone can confirm that they can reverse a mts file of that size with a video card of similar spec.

Can you update your graphic drivers? They are dated 2010. It's possible a more current driver could help.

Are you using the latest version of PD? Have you uploaded the latest patch?

Do you have hardware decoding on in preferences? Try turning the preferences off in the Hardware Acceleration tab to see if there is a difference during editing.

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 21. 2013 18:05

All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
bjorn00 ,

I have seen intermittent problems with reverse video BUT only when it was combined with a "fix/enhance" feature. I have not been able to replicate the problem. But neither has my entire PC frozen, it just became very slow while the numbers were crunched. Win 10, i7
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I think the problem may be the graphic card...according to the DXdiag file it only has 64GB dedicated memory.Try disabling the PD acceleration and shadow files.
I am not an expert on computer specs though.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
[Post New]
Hello.
I've now tried to reverse the samle clip (it's busses and trains, not nature). It seems to work OK, but today so did the last clip I'd try before posting my problems her.
BUT: Before I tried, I did turn off the hardware decoding, as several responses suggested.
I've tried to update my graphic card, but it came back with the result that the driver was the newest available.
I've turned off "Enable continous thumbnails on video clips for easy scene recognition".

I am not sure if I am using the latest version of PD? I am not sure how to get the latest patch. Is it easy to explain this for a newbie like me? I just bought the software last week, meaning I just resently downloaded the software. Guess that means it is the last version? Or is it anything I should do about the "latest patch", that I'm not thinking of?

When I preview the Timeline (video), the preview coughs.

You are worried about my graphic card because it just has 64MB dedicated memory. I thought that was plenty for this software. What are really the requirements?

Thanks for giving med feedbacks, guys!
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
If I read your Dxdiag correctly, you may be able to run PD with a choice of GPU (Right Click on the PD icon and select "run with graphics processor" and choose either Intel QS or the Nvidia GT540M.

It may be set up with either one as the default.

Personally, I have an i5 with the Nvidia GT 520M which I never use, I only ever use the Intel QS on board graphics. My speed and reliability tests show a much better performance when PD runs on the Intel QS GPU.

If it is operating on the Nvidia GPU, try changing to the Intel QS GPU.

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
[Post New]
You are right. I have the possibility to rightclick the ikon, and choose between:
Run with NVIDIA processor with high performance
and
Run with Integreted graphics (standard)

In this case, from what you have figured out, I thought it would be a good thing to use the NVIDIA with the high performance. Why is it not??? Because it seems like it is running better with the standard-thing.

Anyway: The both causes freezing, with the only outcome of Ctrl-Alt-Del and kill the prosess.

I started the application again, and this question pops up:
"High Definition Video
Cyberlink PowerDirector detected that you are importing hight definition video. Do you want to enable shadow files for the video to speed up the editing process? (Please note that the preview quality of the video may be lower once the shadow function is enabled, but the quality of the final video is not affected)."

I answered NO.
No works fine, but if I say YES here, it gets much worse. So it is likely that I have to choose NO in the future.

I now tried to make a film with the same clips, but WITHOUT any of them using the option of PowerTools and Reverse Clip.
I works just fine.

As soon as I reverse a clip, it causes trouble.
But I tried to prosess the video (finish it), without preview. The final video (the outcome/result) works just fine.

So actually.. I wonder:
Is there any known workaround? If it was, I could use it, import the reversed clip, and this way, the PD can't figure out that this really is a reversed clip?

Not satisfied about getting unable to use the reverse-future, this is some of what I've been looking for, and uses in many cases...

Hm...
[Post New]
A couple of samples:

In this video, I've used the default videoclip (samlpeclip):
When I reverse the clip in the Timeline, the preview is jumping around.
But the outcome is fine.
The same clip is going four times, number three is reversed.

http://youtu.be/26mrpNr9E9U

In this next video (short!), my own clip is going twice, the second time it is reversed.
Nevertheless: In the Timeline, the preview just STOPS, when playing it.
Result is fine.
The about this, is that PowerDirector will be very irritating, and also difficult, to use!! You always want to see the preview of a project, before you are satisfied and finalizes the movie!

http://youtu.be/u0lxmhd1f2k

Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Just a thought, if the final produced video is fine but the preview in PD is not, this would indicate that your computer is not powerful enough to produce a smooth real time preview.

I just noticed that when you select shadow files it is giving you problems. If you choose shadow files you have to wait for them to be produced. On a slow computer this can take a long time.

Trying to edit your video before the shadow files are produced will cause problems. I personally think PD should stop you editing until the shadow files are complete, it would sure save a lot of problems here with questions.

Having said that I stopped using an old video editor because it took so long to produce shadow files. I upgraded my computer instead. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Just for your info this was a test I carried out some time ago :

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/22732.page

I do not know the exact model number of your samsung, but it may be worth checking for any BIOS or system updates that may make a difference.

Depending on which method of update checking you use, it may be better to go direct to the NVIDIA site to check but, as you will see by scrolling through the forum, the latest is not necessarily the best.

Also the latest build for PD is 2418, it may be worth updating. This is the link from my location.
http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector-ultra/patches_en_GB.html

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
[Post New]
Just checked: I've got the latest build for PD 2418.
I will look into other updates.
Thank you! :

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 23. 2013 12:20

PatC [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Suffolk UK Joined: Nov 17, 2009 14:00 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
Hi bjorn00

I have same problem with PD11 and 1080i panasonic clips. They will lock up program when reverse is applied.
I temporarly installed PD11 on an i3 laptop and same problem occured so it would seem to be a PD11 fault.
The 1080i files reverse fine in PD10 which I also have installed, so that is my solution.
Note: Panasonic 1080P files reverse without a problem.

PatC

[Post New]
PatC

T H A N K S for your reply. You confirm what I actually wanted to hear - cause I bought this computer at an expencive cost, so I would be very disappointing if the problem was in the PC. But, you never know: It could be a combination in my case. I hope not, and your reply points in the direction that it is eleven. As I said in the opening of this string, it also was the same problem with eight.