Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Powerdirector 11 crashes permamently after update of AMD Catalyst driver from 12.11 to 13.1
BeFi [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 16, 2012 16:17 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
I updated my graphics driver for my Radeon 7750 from Catalyst 12.11 to the 13.1 level released on Jan 19.
Since the upgrade of the graphics driver PD11 crashes permanently.

I recognized that - after loading a video into the EDIT mode - there is permanent disc activity. Also any user activity in EDIT and PRODUCE mode is responded to much slower than on the previous driver level.

After a few attempts to trim video clips unsuccessfully due to PD11 always crashing I restored my image backup of my system partition on AND driver level 12.11. And - forseeably - PD11 is again working reasonably* stable.

Does anybody have similar experience with the latest Catalyst version?

I am running Win 7 64bit on a Intel Z77 series mainboard, Intel core 7 3770, Radeon 7750 GPU.

Bernhard

*) My experience with Powerdirector is love-hate: It has little flaws and glitches wherever I look. Timelines not adjusted. Video-lengths wrongly calculated, no user-specific defaults, unergonomic UI plus the occasional crash when loading and producing. Observing this forum I seem to even be on the lucky side of things. If PD11 wouldn't have the capability to leverage Quick Sync I would already have it dumped from my computer and sold off on ebay.
[Post New]
Quote: I updated my graphics driver for my Radeon 7750 from Catalyst 12.11 to the 13.1 level released on Jan 19.
Since the upgrade of the graphics driver PD11 crashes permanently.
I am running Win 7 64bit on a Intel Z77 series mainboard, Intel core 7 3770, Radeon 7750 GPU.

For security, created a restore point, Win7/64, , Upgraded Catalyst 12.10 to 13.1, the first time everything was slow, rebooted the PC waited a bit, and went back to normal, called Open CL and works here, a complete project finalized everything normal.
The principle seems here that improved.
yet, this normal, Video Ati, HD6750

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 20. 2013 10:10

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
Harold S [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 28, 2009 15:51 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
I had a problem with Radeon hd5650, when I loaded the latest driver it did make the fvrt work faster with some programs but it also made the rendering more often than not lock up....

just my 2 cents
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
BeFi ,

The MAJORITY of users of PD11 have very few issues. The forum is a very small portion of users that have some issues, the most common being that of NEW users gaining familiarity with the app.

If you followed the forum you would have noticed that new drivers from both AMD and NVIDIA have caused several issues in the past. Therefore the simple rule is backup before you update any drivers. Win 10, i7
BeFi [Avatar]
[Post New]
HdEdit.

If you would have read my post you would have seen that I restored my last image backup of my OS partition after deciding that PD and Catalyst 13.1 are not yet friends. I am back to the before-state with Catalyst 12.11.

I saw you making similar comments to several posters reporting problems. You repeat your claim that the majority of users is happy with PD. How do you know? The only feedback we all have is a forum full of posts that ask for help with a program that seems to have a lot of issues.
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: HdEdit.
How do you know? The only feedback we all have is a forum full of posts that ask for help with a program that seems to have a lot of issues.

BeFi,

People who are not having problems very seldom post on a board stating that they are not having problems.

I have been using Power Director for many versions and very seldom have any issues with it operating on my system(s). I build my systems to suit the nature of the video I am editing. Specs in my signature. You will see it is not very different from yours. I am currently running (and using) PD9, PD10, & PD11 with no issues on this machine.

Before building my current machine I stuck with Windows XP because my previous motherboard was not suited to running a 64bit OS (would not hold enough memory).

This is not to say that the program is perfect. There is no such thing as a bug free software. Some have more problem than others.

The biggest cause of misbehaving software is the environment in which it is being operated. No two systems are exactly the same.

Hal

OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
well, i just finished restoring back to 12.10 of catalyst.
so BeFi, a guess you are not completely alone.

while 13.1 did not crash PD11, it did freeze or lock up in produce. my 3D test clip usually takes about 15 sec to produce, with 13.1 (hardware encode on) it never got started the blue progress bar never even started, the file was empty.

Thanks for the heads up, i ran a restore point before updating catalyst, so only wasted a hour. RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
It sadly proves that HD video and gaming video are not of the same world.

We're stuck with graphics card makers interested in only satisfying a small group of gaming addicts. And we all know how that works out on the streets. Win 10, i7
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
It sadly proves that HD video and gaming video are not of the same world.

I don't know about that. Used to believe it, but not so much now.

I have upgraded to the same AMD version and I have noticed my render of my test HD video actually is a little faster. Cant tell if my games are any better as I run the on highest settings on everything to start with. They look the same and are as fast as always.

Maybe if we had the clip thats causing problems....

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
I didn't see any problems after installing 13.1, but out of curiosity I went from 13.1 back to 12.10, and PowerDirector just froze when the edit workspace opened. I spent a lot of time getting PowerDirector 11 to work again. Sometimes just changing display drivers can cause problems no matter if updating or rolling back. Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I run an i7200@3.4Gh processor and a Geforce 560ti graphic card (gaming card) and the latest Geforce drivers no problems. so gaming and video can get along..
Have you updated PD11 to latest patch?
2418(?)
JIm Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
Icaru [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 14, 2013 08:34 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I had the same problem. Had PD10 in a computer with an ATI graphics card. After installing an SSD drive, PowerDirector 10 kept crashing on opening whereas it worked perfectly for 2 years before I switched hard disks.

I bought PD 11 thinking that would work, but not so, it also crashed on opening. I was told to update my video card drivers, did that, upgraded to AMD 12.6, no go. Told to remove QuickTime and install it from within the PD11 program, did that, no luck. Removed many programs to give PD 100GB of space, no success. Uninstalled and cleanly reinstalled the program at least 15 times. Spent more than 30 hours trying every suggestion in this forum to fix the problem. Tech Support did not have any suggestions even though I sent them the diagnostic files they requested. No comment.

Finally, in desperation, I exchanged hard drives. I installed a different drive in my computer (non SSD, an IDE drive) -- same ATI video card, same AMD Catalyst Control Center, same driver version, same computer -- BINGO -- PD11 worked perfectly THE FIRST TIME I OPENED IT BUT CRASHED ON TRYING TO IMPORT MEDIA FILES.

SOLUTION: I uninstalled AMD Catalyst Control Center (no more parallel processing). Now PD11 works. So far it hasn't crashed.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Jan 23. 2013 05:32

BeFi [Avatar]
[Post New]
Rouding up this thread:

I managed to overcome the stability issues posted by first de-installing Catalyst 12.10 - reboot - then installation of 13.1..

Catalyst 13.1 installs over 12.10 without requiring a prior de-install but that option has not worked in my case. it caused PD11 to crash on every second step taken.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 07. 2013 04:24