Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Powerdirector crashes 5-15 times on startup.
cmorris976 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 11, 2012 02:07 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

Powerdirector crashes a bunch when I attempt to start it up. It will eventually work but I was wondering if this happens to anyone else and if there might be a fix?

I have to wonder if this is related to my having a hard time with a lot of video noise in my produced movies.

Thanks,

Chris Morris
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hello,

Powerdirector crashes a bunch when I attempt to start it up. It will eventually work but I was wondering if this happens to anyone else and if there might be a fix?

I have to wonder if this is related to my having a hard time with a lot of video noise in my produced movies.

Thanks,

Chris Morris

Check for the latest version of Quicktime.
Check for the latest Video Card drivers.

Check that you have at least 20 GB of free space on your OS drive. 100 GB is preferred.

Delete temporary files. Use the Windows clean up process on the OS drive.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

cmorris976 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well done sir! Only one crash in ten startups now. Much better, thanks.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Well done sir! Only one crash in ten startups now. Much better, thanks.

You should not be having any crashes!

You should be editing videos that are on your hard drive and not on a external storage.

What about your virus scanning software? It should be configured to allow Powerdirector access without scanning every file.

Anyway, you have made progress!
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

cmorris976 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just to update, Powerdirector is back to crashing on startup 5-15 times before I can use the program again. I will empty my temp files again but it seems like there is something with my system (brand new win 7 64-bit) that Powerdirector has problems with.
cmorris976 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Nope, clearing the temp files didn't help this time. I have 557 GB free on the drive and latest version of quicktime and video drivers. Any other ideas? Thanks for your time.
Icaru [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 14, 2013 08:34 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I had a similar problem. PD11 was crashing on startup. It was an incompatibility with my video graphics card. CL told me to contact AMD. AMD told me to contact HP. HP told me to buy a different (and older version!) graphics card from AMD.

IOW, no solution, so I returned the product for a refund and went back to version 8 which works fine on this computer.
cmorris976 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hmmm, ok -- thanks for the information Icaru, I appreciate it.