Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PDVD12 only runs as Administrator on clean Windows 8 installation (solved?)
Wolf2013 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 13, 2010 12:58 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All,

After spending the last hours to get this to work, I think I share my experience with the community:
I first updated Windows 7 to Windows 8 and PDVD12 did run without any problems after applying the last patch.
The problem seems only to appear with a fresh, from the scratch installed Windows 8:
1. Installed PDVD12, only starts as "Administrator", activated, applied patch

2. At the end of the patch install, boxed was ticked for "Launch PDVD",
- PDVD start with the scan for items in Library and shuts down after a few seconds.
- PDVD won't start at double-click on Desktop icon.
- PDVD start with "Run as Administrator" - Windows pop-up to allow PDVD system changes
- Drag and drop doesn't work, but can browse on drives and start videos.

3. Run Window "Program Compatibility Troubleshooter",
- Incompatibility with "PDVDLaunchPolicy.exe" detected
Windows 8 suggests compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3,
- PDVD starts obviously with "Run as Administrator", because got the same pop-up,
to allow system changes

4. Changed "PDVDLaunchPolicy.exe" and PowerDVD12.exe" to compatible mode for Windows 7, disabled the "Run as Administrator option - PDVD starts fine from the desktop icon (no allow system changes pop-up).
- "Drag & Drop of files on to the PDVD Windows to play/show the files (pictures/videos) does work as well.

So it looks like on a clean install, PDVD12 has some problems with the UAC or other system rights,
but with the above mentioned changes, will run without any problems (so far).

Cheers,

Wolfgang
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Can you provide more details?

- did you install PDVD under Administrator as as User?
- what are your steps and settings when create new users

br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Wolf2013 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Michael,

I just have the one user created during the Windows 8 installation, who has by default admin rights.
There's no other user on my system (attached). The "Guest" account is off (default).
[Thumb - User.jpg]
 Filename
User.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
77 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
159 time(s)
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I have similar setup here and no issue at all, no need to change authorities for PDVD.

can you narrow down your starting application version and the patches you have applied (the filenames should be OK)

br
Michael

Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Wolf2013 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Michael,

I started with CyberLink_PowerDVD12_Ultra_DVD110722-02, which already started only with "Run as Administrator"
and did activate it.
Didn't change the settings at this point and applied patch PowerDVD12.Patch.DVD120702-07.
Could be a one off thing - I had Norton Internet Security installed and running at this point already,
but don't know why this could cause something like this.
I did yesterday some extensive tests/use of PDVD, incl. some system restarts and had no issue at all so far