Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 11 Ultra - how to enable multi-GPU acceleration
BeFi [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 16, 2012 16:17 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
PD 11 Ultra seems to not use both GPUs in my case. This is were I need help.

I have just installed PD 11 Ultra on my Z77 / core i7 3770 platform. My machine has a on-board Intel HD4000 and discrete Radeon HD 7750. I am using Win7 Prof 64 bit. My monitor is attached to the discrete Radeon but the on-board graphics is explicitly activated in the BIOS.

My PD11 is version 11.0.0.2321.

I verified that PD 11 utilizes CPU and discrete GPU (Radeon) when rendering videos but I could not see it using the on-board HD 4000 as well. I monitor the load on my GPUs with GPU-Z.

Even with the effects marked 'AMD accelerated' it always only uses the Radeon.

Any ideas?

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
There are others more qualified than I am to answer this, but I suspect that it will not recognize the onboard graphics in your setup. If the onboard an discrete gpu matched and were setup as multi-GPU, then you would be in good shape. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
BeFi [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 16, 2012 16:17 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
I experimented a little bit further with VERY interesting results:

Initial config as reference:
Display attached to discrete AMD HD 7750 GPU
PD11 uses only the discrete 7750 GPU. 7750 GPU 80% load, HD4000 zero load, CPU load app. 15%
The acceleration offered by PD11 says 'Hardware Acceleration'.
Sample video (MPEG4.ts, 20min stream length) renders in 7min

And now the scenarios I went through

(1) I attached my display to the on-board HD4000 GPU -
Result:
PD11 uses only the on-board GPU (HD4000). HD4000 GPU 80 load %, HD7750 zero load, CPU load app. 10%
The acceleration offered by PD11 says 'Hardware Acceleration'.
Sample video renders in 5min (!)

(2) Now I added PD11 to the list of apps in Lucidlogix Virtu MVP (the Graphics virtualization layer) - display still attached to Intel HD4000 onboard graphics. Restart of PD11.
Result: The acceleration offered by PD11 suddenly changed to 'Intel Quick Sync'.
Both GPUs under load. HD4000 - 80%, HD7750 - 2-7% dependent whether preview is used or not. CPU load app. 8%.
Sample video renders in 2:30min

(3) Finally I attached my display back to my AMD HD7750 GPU as the qualityof screen-display is visibly better. PD11 still defined as an app to be accelerated in Lucidlogix Virtu MVP. restarted PD11.
Result: Get the acceleration option 'Intel Quick Sync' presented.
Both GPUs under load. HD4000 - 80%, HD7750 - 1-7% dependent whether preview is used or not. CPU load app. 8%
Sample video renders in 2:30min

NOW THIS IS WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR - both GPUs employed for superfast rendering.

Question to Cyberlink remains why PD11 is unable to leverage both GPUs natively - i.e. why Lucidlogix is needed. The PD11 product specs explicitely say 'mullti-GPU enabled'. That would warrant a response from Cyberlink!

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Dec 17. 2012 05:46