Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Audio Breakup in timeline
[Post New]
Hi,
I have an HD video file the characteristic of which are in the attached text file (MediaInfo produced). This file plays with clear audio using several different video plays, e.g. windows 7 and VLC. However, when I import the file to PD11 the audio breaks up and any produced file from the timeline has the same audio problems. Any idea what is causing this? Thanks.
 Filename
Example.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Properties of Video File
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
309 time(s)
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
My guess would be that PD is not handling the AC-3 audio correctly. Is this from a camcorder? Can you attach a short sample that we can test on different systems? Is it all similar video, or just this one that does not work?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 08. 2012 18:47

The recording in question was recorded on a DVR off a cable show. I have recorded at least a hundred shows in the similar manner and the all converted to MPEG-4 without problem (during the conversion I add back in closed captions). Attached are two files. One is the original and the other is the converted file (MPEG 4). The audio distortion appears when the file is placed in the timeline and is played.
 Filename
Original file Byzantine Millenium - Explore Saint Ekaterini Monastery at Mount Sinai in Egypt. - 2012Nov26.mpg
[Disk]
 Description
Original file
 Filesize
50480 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
272 time(s)
 Filename
From PD11 with distored sound.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
Distorted audio
 Filesize
60952 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
264 time(s)
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry to say it does the same thing on my computer and I cannot find any reason for it. I'll keep looking at this issue. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kuroshio -

It's probably got a lot to do with the 6 channel sound. Similar issues have come up previously when screen capture software (FRAPS) has been set to record audio that way. It doesn't play correctly in WaveEditor or AudioDirector either.

When converted to stereo (WAV), it plays in PD correctly.

My MediaInfo gave a slightly different report (attached).

This screenshot compares "Byzantine" 5.1 audio beside other 5.1 audio clips (downloaded & produced in PD).

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
ByzantineAudio.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
289 time(s)
[Thumb - 5.1 Audio Compare_CDR.png]
 Filename
5.1 Audio Compare_CDR.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
186 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
284 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 09. 2012 13:12

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Hi ynotfish,
Thanks for your insightful response. I have not purchased the audio director. Is it the tool you used to do the conversion to stereo WAV file?

I have recorded several shows that purport to have 5.1 audio and never had trouble with the sound before. Do you consider the inability of PD11 to handle this sound track a bug?

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there Kuroshio -

No - absolutely not. PD imports & plays 6 channel sound properly under most circumstances. I don't think it's a bug. I do think there's something not right about the audio section of that video clip, just be the way it displays in AudioDirector, Audacity & other dedicated audio editors. Premiere Elements won't play the audio at all** but WMM plays it correctly!

No - I used FormatFactory to convert it to a stereo WAV file. If you right click on the video clip in the media library & select "Extract Audio", it retains its 5.1 channel structure & still won't play correctly.

Attached is how the converted stereo file looks in AudioDirector.

BUT - there must be a reason the video clip you posted plays correctly in various media players. I tested it in about half a dozen.

I'm no audio expert, so I'm sure there are forum members who'd be able to offer better advice.

** Correction: Premiere Elements does play part of the audio (FL & FR channels only), yet it's sound you'd expect to hear from the sub.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Byzantine_stereo_ADR.png]
 Filename
Byzantine_stereo_ADR.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
75 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
116 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 10. 2012 17:47

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!