Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Is 24 bit sound always downsampled to 16 bit in PDVD12?
[Post New]
I just noticed this, and this bothers me a bit to be honest.

I use a Soundblaster X-FI Surround 5.1 sound card's analog output on my computer to watch Blu-Ray discs with PowerDVD 12.
The default format in Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit control panel audio settings is set to "24 bit, 48000 hz (Studio Quality).*

I made the test on two different Blu-Ray disc sets, Pirates of the Carribean and Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures, which both have a lossless 24 bit audio track (which I double checked using third party software too to be sure - the tracks are indeed 24 bits).

Yet the output when I show informations in PowerDVD 12 (latest patch, all updated) always shows this:
"Output: LPCM 48Khz/16bits 6 channels"

Is that normal? Because my card supports 24 bit audio, that's 100% sure. How comes PDVD doesn't use that feature?

EDIT: All my products are originals, PowerDVD, the Blu-Ray discs, and the Windows 7 copy. No pirated stuff here. Everything is updated to the latest patches and drivers too.

Added my DXDIAG if it can help.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
45 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
368 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 06. 2012 08:12

My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
please check the spec page:
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd/spec_en_US.html

for compatible cards.

br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
[Post New]
Actually, I made more tests, with the Prometheus disc (2D, not 3D)... and I got surprising results.

First let me specify that I own the software "AnyDVD HD". Not for copy purposes, mind you, I bought it when I had trouble reading some original store bought discs because of lousy copy protections. I actually bought it when I had trouble playing the first Avatar disc back in 2010 with PowerDVD 10. Those guys are actually faster to patch their software than you guys at Cyberlink... no offense meant, of course ;

I had AnyDVD HD turned off in my previous tests, as it usually is, I only turn it on when I have playback problems.

Well... watch this. All this in the information panel of PowerDVD 12 which you can turn on with the right mouse button menu:

Prometheus without AnyDVD HD :
Output: LPCM 48Khz/16bits 6 Channels.

Prometheus with AnyDVD HD turned on:
Output: LPCM 48Khz/24bits 6 Channels.

I wish I could make screenshots, but sadly they are disabled when playing back a Blu-Ray.

So I proceeded to do the same test with my Indiana Jones discs...
Shall I let you guess the results?
I won't be that cruel.

Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark, with AnyDVD HD enabled:
Output: LPCM 48Khz/24bits 6 Channels.

I'm not kidding. And if I remove AnyDVD HD, it reverts to 16 bit output. I triple checked, I'm definitely using exactly the same settings and audio tracks.

In my humble opinion, there's something fishy with some copy protections here again.
Could you forward this to the tech team for a future patch? I'd rather not have to rely on third party software to play back my discs to their full capability if possible...

Thanks

EDIT: just did the same test with Avatar collector edition, same thing. Only when AnyDVD HD is active do I get 24 bit output in PowerDVD 12.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 06. 2012 09:11

My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

In my humble opinion, there's something fishy with some copy protections here again.
Could you forward this to the tech team for a future patch? I'd rather not have to rely on third party software to play back my discs to their full capability if possible...

It's nothing we can "cure" as it is related to Audio-Card's capability to handle secure audio path.
The mentioned card is not supported.

greetings

Werde Facebook Fan
[Post New]
How comes it works with AnyDVD HD then, Michael? Doesn't it mean my Audio card is just fine and can do it?

What's the difference anyway... if you can send 16 bit audio, you can send 24 bit one too. I just checked, with AnyDVD disabled, I can still directly sample the audio of a Blu-Ray using Audacity (it's a freeware audio program, definitely not a hacker tool). So secure audio path? Sorry if I don't buy that.

Well, I guess you guys at Cyberlink aren't directly responsibly for this, but once again, we HONEST customers get screwed by those crappy copy protections which stop no pirate but only stop legit buyers from enjoying their purchase fully.

Thanks the gods for my lifetime purchase of AnyDVD HD... unless you are willing to have a look into this

Anyway, thanks for answering. My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7
[Post New]
Hi,
we have to follow the content and copy protection guidelines, therefore we cannot workaround it.

The issue is related to the copy and content protection mechanisms of BD. AnyDVD removes the protection, that's why it is working when running this app while playback.

br

Werde Facebook Fan
[Post New]
Yeah, that's what I guessed from you previous answers, so I'm not really blaming you guys. It's just sad that consumers get screwed because of protections which actually end not protecting anything. I also understand why you can't tell more about this... your hands are tied.

As I said, thanks for your honest answer, as usual - I'll just keep AnyDVD active all the time now along with your excellent PowerDVD 12 software. I just hope this info is useful for other PDVD users in my situation

EDIT: getting 24 bit output on Master and Commander again too now... and specially on that movie, it makes a hell of a difference.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 06. 2012 09:40